“Only gets better!”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I made another trip to this gem because I had relatives visit from out of state and were looking for an end of season weekend away. I raved about Howe after my last visit, and felt it could not be any better, but I must say I was equally satisfied...we all were! We came on Aug 15/Fri, and stayed for two nights using two rooms. We used their motel as our hub as we stayed on Howe property Friday, and then Saturday we traveled to Cooperstown and visited the Omegang Brewery and the Baseball Hall of Fame. Both were wonderful! Our guide was great! It was obvious he cared about his job and the cave. He was informative and personable. For a young person he was well spoken to a group of adults. We bought day passes for Howe High Adventure and enjoyed ALL of it. I do hope they extend the zip line at some point...something a bit more extreme. The OGO balls were awesome, and even my 88 year old grandmother went down two times! We ate breakfast and lunch in the cafe and all were pleasantly surprised of the quality. I had a panini for lunch and my wife had a taco salad that looked like it came right from a magazine! It was gorgeous to look at, but tasted even better...so fresh and put together perfectly. Anyway, this place is the bomb! I did see a review that gave it the lowest rating and complained about everything, but I have to argue that point. I did check and that person has given 7 "terrible" reviews out of 20 total. Apparently some people are never happy. Anyway, the $2 parking fee is on the website, and at first I didn't understand the charge, but when I saw the lot that is not paved and not marked, I realized that there was a good reason for a well staffed lot. We were parked safely and organized, and the parking girl even took a dog from a couple who parked next to us and placed him in a kennel while the owners enjoyed the cave tour. I'm told that's a free service offered. Sooooo, BRAVO Howe Caverns! You folks are doing something right.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you! Your continued patronage is appreciated, we look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Howe Caverns

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We really liked the tour of the cave, though you just walk on a path as compared to the private more invasive tour where you actually get to crawl and see secret rooms etc.... the entire campus has many options including lodging.... the rest of the site is def geared towards kids.... glad we did it though.... went into town after and you can skip that.... just get back on the highway.... not the best area and no good restaurants to eat at....

Thank you for your visit, I am glad you enjoyed your tour. Cobleskill has a few really great local restaurants, and our staff is always happy to help with a recommendation.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The cavern was boring, and the cheesy guide did nothing to alleviate the boredom, in fact she was more than annoying. It's very expensive, and I forgot to use my aaa discount when paying, and when I realized my error five minutes later, they did nothing to help me. My son was waiting for the lights to be turned off to see what the complete darkness was like, but no dice, she just skipped over that part. And the h2ogo balls was a blast except that it cost $17 per person for a two minute roll down a hill. So pathetic. Let's just throw on an additional $2 for parking, which is never mentioned anywhere until your already in the parking lot. So for over $200 you can waste your day, and be bored and irritated as a bonus. Go to Indian echo caverns. WAY, WAY BETTER day trip and cavern experience. By the way there is absolutely nothing in the area of howe for at least 45 minutes in any direction, so be sure to bring a snack or else your choice will be to starve, or eat in the disgusting cafeteria on the grounds. Wish I had my day and my money back, so do my kids!

8  Thank Roscommon9
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Wow! That's all we can say....

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We arrived in the middle of a group of over 350 kids from a summer camp. The staff were all very professional and the lines moved quickly. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and had a wonderful personality. the short boat ride in the cave was an unexpected joy would recommend this attraction to anyone with or without children.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your visit! I am so glad you enjoyed your cave tour and were patient with us during our extended wait that day. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I enjoyed everything during our recent visit. I do not have anything negative to say at all. The staff were all wonderful and friendly.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you very much for your visit. We pride ourselves on trying to make each and every one of our guests' experience one to remember for a lifetime!