“Interesting place & experience”
Review of Howe Caverns Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howes Cave
Howe Caverns Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howes Cave
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were traveling through New York State on our vacation from Australia, and had looked at Howe Cavern as a place that we may wish to visit.

I called mid afternoon as we were traveling to make the booking, as we were also planning on doing the cave tour the following morning. All went well during the phone call and a family room was booked. I was told that as we were arriving quite late, that an envelope would be left taped to the reception door giving us options of where to eat, as well as where the key would be left for us.

We finally made it to the Caverns around 5:30 - 6:00 pm and it was quite dark. Managed to find the envelope and followed the directions to get the key, however unfortunately no key was to be found. Hmm we thought, this is not good. We did try calling the caretaker as instructed on the supplied information, but at this time there was no answer.

Luckily for us a couple had driven up to the motel and seeing us wandering around, they of course drove over to see what we were up to. It ends up that these guys worked at the Cavern, and after much apologizing and a few minutes finally got us all sorted and into our room.

After again checking that we were ok and more apologies as well as the offer of a complimentary tour in the morning, off they went. These guys went way over and beyond what was needed to resolve what really was a minor glitch and nothing that we were going to get too steamed up about. These things do happen, even with the best planning and intentions, so kudos to the Cavens for going above and beyond to resolve the issue.

To the room. We had a family room - 4 x double beds in two rooms separated by a bathroom. Talk about more than enough space! I have stayed in 5 star hotel suites smaller than this room. Comfortable beds, very clean, coffee, fridge (very unusual for American hotels) and microwave.

To top the entire experience off, they also insisted that we come up in the morning for a complimentary breakfast. Wow - talk about great customer service.

Thanks so much to all concerned from one very grateful Aussie family.

Room Tip: Family room is very large by hotel / motel room standards
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RichardLOZ
There are newer reviews for Howe Caverns Motel

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed for a night visiting the caverns. Good size adjacent rooms with refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, counter with sinks outside bathroom. Desk with a chair, closet. Very clean. We eat outside and enjoyed a view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Once my husband and I found the water to be dirty coming out of the faucet in the Jacuzzi, we quickly got out and showered. The a/c worked well but the couch was terribly uncomfortable and we could hear a family with two 10 year olds screaming outside. Other than that, the bed and pillows were comfy and everything smelled and appeared to be clean. We definitely will visit the caverns again, but when we do, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had wanted to stay in the motel since I was a kid, and when I finally got the chance I wasn't disappointed...it's a style of motel that is disappearing, and I hope this one never does because it's neat to stay in such a well-cared-for piece of America's road-tripping past.

I have stayed here three times. I was so impressed the first time I stayed here in Room 117 in 2010 (we did the Sweetheart Package, which included champagne, fudge, and a lantern tour of the caves) I had to come back -- and did, when my husband and I got married in 2012 and stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (which has a really nice hot tub and a flat-screen TV). This third time we stayed in Room 120 (we did an Adventure Tour package).

The thing that impresses me the most about this motel is its cleanliness. The windows, which showcase a beautiful view, look like they've just been washed, there is no dust anywhere, and the white baseboards look like they get washed in between stays, too (I wash my baseboards in my own home, so I ACTUALLY LOOK when I stay in places). The older furnishings, many of them no longer available in other places (like the really cool built-into-the-wall end tables with open under-storage so you can have things near you but not junking up your space so you knock over your glass of water in the middle of the night) are in such great shape they look like they were purchased recently (no broken drawers, dirty lampshades, damaged veneer or anything of that ilk). The bathrooms are so clean I swear I could eat off the floors...and great water pressure in the shower and sinks, which is important to me (and really hot water, too, if that's what you like). The in-room coffee is also pretty good--not watery, actually tastes like a decent cup of coffee (I wish I could say the same for Disney World!). The views are breathtaking, and the price is very reasonable--I've stayed in major chains for twice the money that simply weren't as clean and well-kept.

Most important, though, is the friendly staff. Ray checked us in and he was welcoming, as though we were old friends (although this was the first time we had ever seen him), and very efficient. Brenda, who handled our check-out (and has the last couple of times), was again friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating.

I have friends in the area, so I will be back again, and unless they're booked I probably won't stay anyplace else. But I have recommended this motel and its packages to many people because I feel it's a really great value for a quick getaway and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StarGirl915
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This motel is a walk back in time. it has a 70s feel to it. It is immaculate. The staff was nice and the beds were comfortable. The view is worth it all! Incredible sunset and a peaceful morning view with cows in the pasture. We have stayed at many places and this was not a bad choice at all. It was a perfect place to stay before our morning tour at Howe caverns! We ate great pizza at little Italy - 5 miles from the motel.

1  Thank janemc02
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We recently spent the night at Howe Caverns Motel, booking the Summer Family Fun package. We arrived early around 930am with the thought we could get our cave tickets. Much to our dismay we were told we would have to wait until 12 pm to be given our vouchers. We were annoyed to be told we could go to the gift shop and wait, until 12pm. When we were booked we were specifically told we could arrive early and do our tour with the understanding of 3pm check in for our room, not vouchers for tours. We were not given adjustments but were allowed to check in and get to our room. Our room was very dated, looking like a picture from the seventies but clean. Beds not comfortable for my husband and myself, but kids were fine. We booked the 2 bedroom suite and had enough room and enjoyed our stay. No other activities in area so an overnite for cave tour was more than enough time for us. Package included 2 adult tickets, 2 pieces of fudge from candy store in cavern shop, a game for 4 to mini golf at Cobblers knob, and a bag of Gem dirt to sluice. We think for the name of the package, Family package we have gotten 2 children's tickets to cavern ,but had to pay an additional 26.00 for children's cavern tour.

2  Thank kjmom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This motel was clean and cozy. Nice fluffy towels, nice staff and a beautiful view...breakfast wasn't the greatest, but the fun of the cave tour made our stay worthwhile. Sat on the porch of the motel to watch the sunset. Town is close to the motel so there was a needed store within a few miles. Overall a quaint and friendly place to stay.

1  Thank Wendy W
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Johnstown
Mallozzi's Belvedere Inn
Mallozzi's Belvedere Inn
#4 of 15 in Schenectady

Been to Howe Caverns Motel? Share your experiences!