“Great stay at the motel”
Review of Howe Caverns Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howes Cave
Howe Caverns Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howes Cave
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here in January and there was 1 other car at the motel. It was defeinitely their offseason. The room is small but we didn't need anything more and it didn't have a cheap motel look. Everything in the room worked great and we had a pleasant stay there. It is right next to Howe Caverns, which was a huge plus. I definitely would recommend staying here! It was $123 (with fees and taxes) but we got 2 tickets to Howe Caverns, 1/2 lb fudge, and a nice souvenir package. Very well run establishment.

Room Tip: We had room 110, and it was great!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Howe Caverns Motel

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a basic motel, with a room large enough to hold two beds plus a rollaway without being cramped. The bathroom was fairly large also, with the sinks in a separate room from the shower and toilet. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Very limited channels on the TV. This is an excellent place to stay if you're going to Howe Caverns. The package deal is a very good one. You should pick up something to put in the refrigerator and then microwave for breakfast, especially if you stay out of season as we did.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Douglas F
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed here the day after Thanksgiving and had a very nice stay. Yes, the hotel has not been updated since the 70's, but I have to say, it was the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. And I'd rather have a clean outdated room than a dirty new room.

We booked the suite, which was the end unit. It had 2 large rooms with 2 double beds in each room, a small box TV, table and chairs and there was one small fridge and microwave. The bathroom was large and had real towels in it, not the typical hotel see through itchy towels.

The only downside was you could hear every step someone took in the other room. We had two 11 year old boys with us, so I was very happy the room next to us was empty and we weren't disturbing anyone, though I doubt we would have, as there was a brick wall between the two.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank MrsBattsNY
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were traveling through New York State on our vacation from Australia, and had looked at Howe Cavern as a place that we may wish to visit.

I called mid afternoon as we were traveling to make the booking, as we were also planning on doing the cave tour the following morning. All went well during the phone call and a family room was booked. I was told that as we were arriving quite late, that an envelope would be left taped to the reception door giving us options of where to eat, as well as where the key would be left for us.

We finally made it to the Caverns around 5:30 - 6:00 pm and it was quite dark. Managed to find the envelope and followed the directions to get the key, however unfortunately no key was to be found. Hmm we thought, this is not good. We did try calling the caretaker as instructed on the supplied information, but at this time there was no answer.

Luckily for us a couple had driven up to the motel and seeing us wandering around, they of course drove over to see what we were up to. It ends up that these guys worked at the Cavern, and after much apologizing and a few minutes finally got us all sorted and into our room.

After again checking that we were ok and more apologies as well as the offer of a complimentary tour in the morning, off they went. These guys went way over and beyond what was needed to resolve what really was a minor glitch and nothing that we were going to get too steamed up about. These things do happen, even with the best planning and intentions, so kudos to the Cavens for going above and beyond to resolve the issue.

To the room. We had a family room - 4 x double beds in two rooms separated by a bathroom. Talk about more than enough space! I have stayed in 5 star hotel suites smaller than this room. Comfortable beds, very clean, coffee, fridge (very unusual for American hotels) and microwave.

To top the entire experience off, they also insisted that we come up in the morning for a complimentary breakfast. Wow - talk about great customer service.

Thanks so much to all concerned from one very grateful Aussie family.

Room Tip: Family room is very large by hotel / motel room standards
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RichardLOZ
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed for a night visiting the caverns. Good size adjacent rooms with refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, counter with sinks outside bathroom. Desk with a chair, closet. Very clean. We eat outside and enjoyed a view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Once my husband and I found the water to be dirty coming out of the faucet in the Jacuzzi, we quickly got out and showered. The a/c worked well but the couch was terribly uncomfortable and we could hear a family with two 10 year olds screaming outside. Other than that, the bed and pillows were comfy and everything smelled and appeared to be clean. We definitely will visit the caverns again, but when we do, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had wanted to stay in the motel since I was a kid, and when I finally got the chance I wasn't disappointed...it's a style of motel that is disappearing, and I hope this one never does because it's neat to stay in such a well-cared-for piece of America's road-tripping past.

I have stayed here three times. I was so impressed the first time I stayed here in Room 117 in 2010 (we did the Sweetheart Package, which included champagne, fudge, and a lantern tour of the caves) I had to come back -- and did, when my husband and I got married in 2012 and stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (which has a really nice hot tub and a flat-screen TV). This third time we stayed in Room 120 (we did an Adventure Tour package).

The thing that impresses me the most about this motel is its cleanliness. The windows, which showcase a beautiful view, look like they've just been washed, there is no dust anywhere, and the white baseboards look like they get washed in between stays, too (I wash my baseboards in my own home, so I ACTUALLY LOOK when I stay in places). The older furnishings, many of them no longer available in other places (like the really cool built-into-the-wall end tables with open under-storage so you can have things near you but not junking up your space so you knock over your glass of water in the middle of the night) are in such great shape they look like they were purchased recently (no broken drawers, dirty lampshades, damaged veneer or anything of that ilk). The bathrooms are so clean I swear I could eat off the floors...and great water pressure in the shower and sinks, which is important to me (and really hot water, too, if that's what you like). The in-room coffee is also pretty good--not watery, actually tastes like a decent cup of coffee (I wish I could say the same for Disney World!). The views are breathtaking, and the price is very reasonable--I've stayed in major chains for twice the money that simply weren't as clean and well-kept.

Most important, though, is the friendly staff. Ray checked us in and he was welcoming, as though we were old friends (although this was the first time we had ever seen him), and very efficient. Brenda, who handled our check-out (and has the last couple of times), was again friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating.

I have friends in the area, so I will be back again, and unless they're booked I probably won't stay anyplace else. But I have recommended this motel and its packages to many people because I feel it's a really great value for a quick getaway and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Johnstown
Mallozzi's Belvedere Inn
Mallozzi's Belvedere Inn
#4 of 15 in Schenectady

Been to Howe Caverns Motel? Share your experiences!