“Couldn't be more convenient and cozy”
Review of The Barlow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hudson
The Barlow
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hudson
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Couldn't be more convenient and cozy”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Free parking in and amongst Hudson's busy, ticket-prone streets says something for this quaint and discerning boutique hotel. The room (Queen deluxe) was spotless, the shower pampered with about 12 different nozzles on it, the gas fireplace added romance and much needed heat in the midst of February, and the bed was sublime. Only drawback; definitely NOT soundproof, as we could hear our neighbors every sound--and there were a lot of them! Another plus; right across the street from BodhiSpa and Yoga studio.....and hard by Mexican Radio and other fine dining and antique establishments. Best deal in town; 3 week nights for the price of 2! You cannot do better than this in Hudson. Another tip; check out Bonfiglio Breads right up the street. Another tip; Barlow is adding a gym, and rooftop bar soon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
C: Thanks for the excellent review - on behalf of the entire Management and Staff of the Barlow! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us so much and that all the amenities and services we provide so highly met your needs. We thank you for bringing the sound issue to our attention. During the renovation of the Hotel we installed resilient channel sound insulation between each room. Possibly we need to do more, although unfortunately sometimes some guests make a lot of noise that even the best insulation could not quiet. Regardless we truly thank you for your wonderful comments and look forward to welcoming you back to The Barlow.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
boston, ma
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Barlow for 2 nights just before Christmas. We had been looking forward to the trip as we had stayed at the B&B run by the same owners as this hotel on 2 previous occasions & had a fantastic time (5-star reviews on both occasions). Unfortunately, this was not the case at The Barlow. Very soon after we checked in, we had dinner reservations so did not have a chance to really look at the room. When we returned to the room it was very hot – the thermostat read 85°F and there was no one at reception to ask about adjusting the heat. Furthermore, we were on the first floor, overlooking an alley and given that both the front and back doors of the hotel are locked at all times, we did not feel safe sleeping with the windows open so we had a rather uncomfortable night. The next morning, the bedroom temperature hovered in the 80s. We then noticed that there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, just a square shaped hole in the ceiling, beside which was some exposed ductwork. There was dirt on the lower part of the door and on the shelf in the shower. There was a hole in the drywall under the sink and areas around the shower and tub were unfinished – all in all this room did not appear to be ready for guests. Furthermore, while I was in the shower, the hot water ran out mid-shampoo. We spoke to the staff person at reception who first suggested that perhaps I did not know how to use the shower, even after I had said that I did have hot water and that it ran out. I also told her that I had even run the faucet in the bathroom sink to check that it wasn’t an issue with the shower and there was no hot water from it either. She told us that the only way we could address the heat was to turn it off, as the A/C was not running. She came to look at the room and acknowledged that there were problems but did not seem overly concerned, although, after I pointed out that for the price we were paying (around $440 for two nights) we expected better, she did say that she would speak to the owners about providing us with a discount. She half-heartedly suggested that maybe she could find us another room but we declined, as we were already in the room and felt that if the owners would be discounting the room, we would not put them to the inconvenience of making up and cleaning another room – we had a sense that we were meeting each other half way. When we retuned to our room that night, the bathroom had been cleaned but the bedroom was still incredibly hot (over 80°F) even though we had turned the heat off, as instructed, so we spent another uncomfortable night. At checkout the next morning, with the same staff person we had dealt with the day before, we mentioned the heat issue and were told that we should have opened the windows, even though they open onto an alley. (Another guest was passing as we were discussing this issue and said that his room on the second floor was in the 90s, with the windows open.) When we got our bill, we were surprised and very disappointed to note that no discount had been applied, despite all of the issues with our room. The staff person had many excuses and arguments about why this was the case, one being that the bathroom had been cleaned after we pointed out the dirt; she did not seem to get my point that, especially for the price we were paying, it should have been clean before we arrived. Nor did she seem to feel that arguing with a guest is inappropriate. A genuine apology would have gone some way to ameliorating the situation but none was forthcoming. We had been hopeful that we would be making many return trips to The Barlow and the B&B, but after this experience, we won’t be back.

11 Thank belfast10
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
D&K: As you know we take guests comments very seriously. Your situation was brought to our attention right after you checked and indicated that you were unhappy with the room. We instructed our front desk staff member to offer to move you to another, upgraded room at no additional cost to you, which you declined. Unfortunately the two days you visited Hudson were unseasonably warm (upper 50's) and we did inform guests that opening the windows was the best solution as the air conditioning is only operational in warmer months. Your guest room window is 8 feet off the ground, so safety should not have been an issue as it hadn't been for any guest who previously stayed in that room.

Our staff did apologize repeatedly each time you mentioned another issue you had with the room/hotel. We can't speak to whether you felt it was sincere or not. Finally we felt that offering you a complimentary upgrade was fair, yet you declined, insisting repeatedly that we owed you a discount instead. We thank you for your feedback and hope that if you return to Hudson you will find lodging that better suits your needs.
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights after this Christmas.

What a disappointment no hot or even warm water in die morning for a bath or a shower.

The reception just said there was one heating system for the whole hotel.

This is acceptable in summer, but in winter it is another story.

This is not what we paid for.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank jacobritz
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thank you for your comments. You're right, this was not acceptable and for that we sincerely apologize. As you mention one of our two hot water heaters went down resulting in intermittent gaps in hot water at peak times during the day. Due to the holiday, and the very cold weather, it was very difficult to get a technician to come to the hotel for a service call. We did finally get the issue resolved and had an additional back up system installed so that this won't happen again. Since this our first winter being open these "kinks" are being worked out, and we are so sorry it affected your stay. Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a great job Russ and Duncan have done with this place. Clean stylish rooms, comfortable beds, great amenities. Not a B&B but in some ways better. You have the Kuerig coffee maker in the room with a selection of "K" cups. A small fridge is also in the room. Stock it as you wish and you can enjoy a bedtime snack or breakfast when you please. Can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: I love the rooms facing onto Warren so I can watch the street life.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harold W
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
H&T: Thank you for the wonderful review. We're so glad you both had such a wonderful time at The Barlow and that you enjoyed yourselves so much that you extended your stay by an additional day. Additionally we're so pleased that you found all the amenities of the Hotel so suit your needs so well. We look forward to seeing you back again soon. On behalf of the entire staff of The Barlow please accept our sincere thanks for your terrific comments!
Becket, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is a classic old Main Street hotel, done up in a thoughtful restoration. Hudson is a river town, once a major port. Its commercial district is fresh with little shops and restaurants, many with a story to tell. The hotel has a variety of rooms, each with nice new baths, some with fireplaces, some with street views and some quieter back rooms. There is an elevator in addition to a nice paneled staircase. No food service, instead duscounts at several goid restaurants in close walking distance. Parking is free in a municipal lot in back with direct access.

Room Tip: Rooms are different. Call ahead and discuss features you want.
1 Thank VIFriend
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Such a totally spot on review. The Barlow is a typical "downtown" hotel, located in the heart of Hudson's business district, within walking to Hudson's best shopping, entertainment and dining. Thanks for recognizing the Hotel's amenities and services, too. We so look forward to welcoming you again and thank you for such a fantastic review! The Management and Staff of The Barlow
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed in the larger front room on the second floor and found it comfortable with good amenities such as in-room Keurig coffee maker, electric fireplace and a many-nozzle shower. Storm windows kept the noise and winter chill outside. Little interaction with staff during the stay but they seemed knowledgeable and professional. Hoped for a classic winter weekend but the temp hit 60 on Sunday!

2 Thank JWBklyn
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thanks for the great review! This weekend's weather was unreal - 65 was the high on Sunday and tomorrow it's supposed to snow. Sorry we couldn't have had a more "white" visit for you, but we're happy you enjoyed your stay at The Barlow none the less. We look forward to welcoming you back. Until then thank you very much and Happy Holidays!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was recently in Hudson on pleasure. It was somewhat of an impromptu trip, but I needed some true r & r. I have not been to the area in nearly 5 years. I had always loved the area, but there were very few options for lodging in the area that truly allowed one to unwind. I looked to TripAdvisor for some ideas. The Barlow was the top of the list. I read all of the reviews, good and bad, and based on those as well as the pictures, I thought I would give the Barlow a try.

To say I was not disappointed would be an understatement. To begin with, I was greeted by a beautiful warm cozy modern lobby. It was fantastic! The gal at the front desk (I believe her name was Liz) was most helpful. I booked in a King Suite and was truly blow away.

The first thing I noticed was the cleanliness of the rooms. The modern atmosphere of the room was clean lines, warm and inviting and a COMFORTABLE couch to sit and relax on. The bed was the most comfortable I had slept at in a hotel in a long while. It would rival any 5 star hotel I have stayed at in New York, Chicago, Las Vegas or LA. The sheets were beyond soft. The natural light that filled the room was incredible.

I unpacked and went down to "explore" the town. When I got downstairs, I asked the front desk for suggestions for dinner. The owners of the hotel happened to be at the hotel and suggested I try a local restaurant called the Crimson Sparrow. I spent about 15 minutes speaking with the owners (Duncan and Russ). Much like everything else I had come into contact with at the Barlow, they were warm, inviting and took the time to make sure my stay exceeded my expectations. Dinner at the Crimson Sparrow was one of the best meals of my life (I will be reviewing that later).

After dinner I spent sometime walking around the town then headed back to the hotel. The spa bathroom was a perfect end to the day. Simply put......LUXURY.

The attention to detail is beyond compare. The space planing is perfect. This is not a sprawling room. It is large, cozy and every detail has been addressed. It is the small things (Like the iPod docking station) that rank this as one of the nicest hotels I have ever seen.

I will be back. Hopefully for a longer period.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Chris C
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
C: What an awesome review! Please accept our sincerest thanks on behalf of the entire staff of The Barlow for such incredible praise. We are so happy you chose to stay with us and that the Hotel so clearly exceeded your expectations in every regard. It makes our efforts so worthwhile when guests acknowledge all we do to make a stay at The Barlow outstanding. We look forward to seeing you back again soon. Once again thanks a million!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudson
St. Charles Hotel
#7 of 16 in Hudson
The Inn At 34
The Inn At 34
#6 of 16 in Hudson

Been to The Barlow? Share your experiences!