“Very Accommodating”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hudson
Lathrop, Missouri
“Very Accommodating”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We Spend the thanksgiving weekend at this hotel every year, and have a good experience every time.... But this year it was different. Unfortunately there was no hot water the first night, but the front desk was very accommodating and were trying to get it fixed over the holiday weekend... we did get some hot water the next day and the third day was fine.... The rooms are always nice and clean, the Christmas decoration in the lobby looked wonderful. Even thought there was less heat in the front desk area, our rooms were pretty warm due to individual units in rooms. Over all it was a challenging experience only for the first day, and that does not make us change our opinion about St Charles... We will be back next year.

1 Thank 709funtrips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Paris, France
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Checked in on Friday. Altho the hotel ahd lacked hot water (and coats had to be worn in the breakfast ares) we were not told re the problems. The hotel lacked hot water the next day as well, we were led to believe this was a recent problem--you must be honest with your custtomers! Staff was friendly but not forthcoming. Breakfast barely adequate. Room was large and clean, but a rock-hard bed.

If you have a serious problem, you must tell the guests

Room Tip: Ask if they have hot water
2 Thank William R

Travellers are raving about these Hudson hotels

Cumberland Center, Maine
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I spend 3-4 day a week for business in hotels so I think that I can be a good judge with a non-biased oponion. This is our second time in this hotel. The first time was many years ago and it was pretty bad. New management and a recent remodel sparked my interest and I was willing to take a second chance. Things happen beyond the management's control. The thing that happened to us was that the boiler went out and we had to spend two days without showers while visiting family for Thanksgiving. What did not happen was customer service. The first day I get, they were trying to fix things over the holidays. The second day everything was fixed but " nine hunters used up all the hot water". They said this while wearing winter coats in the lobby which had no heat. So, if this is the case and you like to take a hot shower in the morning, they only have water for nine people so you better take it early.

The remodel - I'm in the construction buisness, paint and some tile does not make a remodel. The beds were OK but the bathroom was discusting (ask my wife and daughter, not to mention that there was still a bar of soap left over from the last visit still in the tub that was dirty). The textured finish on the ceiling in our room was flaking into the floor. 1" caulk joints attempted to blend casework, flooring and the bathroom fixtures. We did not experience the rooms pictured on the web site.

Breakfast - this I really could care less about but I do like coffee. I walked into the dining area to get a cup of coffee at 9:02 and was informed that breakfast was over at 9:00. The next day I made sure to get there before 9:00 and still no coffee. There is a Dunkin Donut accross the street so that made it OK (day 2 with no shower, I needed warm coffee in a bad way). We checked out and found another place. We also had two other family members staying at this place, they left as well.

We get that you can't help it when things break down. However, any reasonable place would make an effort to tell you what was going on, try to make you feel more comfortable and at least provide hot coffee. This group made themselves scarce, did not answer the desk phone and pretty much did not seem like they cared about anyone in the place. On my way back with coffee for my girls I met a group that had just checked in and they were unaware of the lack of hot water....amazing.

Finally, you get what you pay for. The same rates can be had in towns closer to Albany. As I mentioned, we took a chance. Next year back to Albany for us. The extra 20 minutes to the family gathering for me is well worth it.

Room Tip: The place is very old, choose the top floor so that you don't have to listen to the neighbors ab...
2 Thank Steve P
Milford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at the St. Charles Hotel in Hudson, NY, to visit friends. The location of this nearly 150 year old unassuming building couldn't be better for visiting the plethora of great local restaurants and eclectic shops! The front desk clerks were very kind and courteous, making me feel welcome and at ease. My room was very clean and comfy. When I returned after a busy morning, housekeeping had the room spic and span again. The continental breakfast has more to offer than many I have seen, and includes some fresh fruit! It is served in a lovely dining area with an ornate tin ceiling and a big window facing the park across the street. It also showcases some very cool, black and white photos of the hotel and town from days gone by. Reading the selections and prices on an old menu on display, from 1933, was also a great treat. All in all, I had a great stay in Hudson, at the St. Charles. A big thank you, to Erin and Ricky for all their help! I will definitely stay there next time I am in Hudson.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The management and people that are running the computer systems in this hotel are HORRIBLE. I was charged for two seperate reservations and the only explanation they could give me when I called was "welll we dont knwo how or why the computer did that". We also experioenced issues while at the hotel and they did not offer any kind of compensation. Breakfast would have been better if I walked out back and picked it up off the ground at a back alley. I would NOT, under any circumstances, EVER stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: NO rooms are prefered
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bethjjcc
Torrington, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at the St. Charles while in Hudson for a family wedding. It is quite basic; an old building in the center of Hudson, very clean and certainly adequate for a short stay. While the building has most probably seen better days, it appears that most of Hudson is in the same state. Having said that, it does have some historic charm. It is centrally located and convenient to the main street in Hudson which has several antique/collectable shops and a number of restaurants. I would not hesitate to stay there again, but would not for a long term stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tom_W1216
Greene, New York, USA
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for the past few weeks as I am from Upstate and am working in Hudson. The rooms are always clean and comfortable, and the hotel staff is top notch and are always pleasant to talk with. Special mention to both Erin and Ricky for making me feel as this is my home away from home, and for understanding the meaning of customer service. (I do have to mention that the 2 negative reviews below are completely unjustified, as I am sure they came from the group that was having a very loud gathering in the hotel last Friday. This group had no respect for any of the hotel guests, or the hotel management, and I commend the hotel staff for dealing with them in a professional manner and taking care of the hotel guests. The group was beyond rude to the guests and the hotel staff and should be ashamed of themselves!)

If you are considering a hotel in Hudson, I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank STEVEN M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudson
Best Western New Baltimore Inn
#7 of 16 in Hudson
The Inn At 34
The Inn At 34
#6 of 16 in Hudson

Been to St. Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!