“Free parking lot; I would stay here again”
Review of St. Charles Hotel

St. Charles Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hudson
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Based on some of the reviews I was prepared for the fact that this hotel was going to be older and a bit run down so that was not a surprise. However, our room was clean, the beds were comfortable and there was plenty of drawer and closet space. The free parking lot for guests is a real plus because parking in Hudson can be tough and/or confusing with the street parking rules.

Most of the bed/breakfast type places that we normally stay at were sold out of the type of rooms we like so we decided to stay here. The more positive reviews encouraged us and we are glad we decided to do so.

The staff seemed to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast was strictly continental so unless you have to hit the road I recommend eating at one of the great cafes in Hudson and maybe grabbing something from the breakfast at the hotel for a snack later. WIFI was excellent in our room (2nd floor)

Rates here are reasonable for Hudson which tends to be expensive. I would stay here again without hesitation. The four stars is because of the parking, location and clean room...but keep in mind that the actual hotel itself is more like a two star European type hotel which was very suitable for us since we do not spend much time in the room.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the way the doors look; rooms are perfectly OK.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Worked with Ricky, the hotel manager to arrange accommodations for my crew who were coming from Oregon. She provided us with outstanding service and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was pleasant.

I wish she was the hotel manager of ALL the hotels we stayed at because of the level of service she provides. Her staff were also up to par with the level of service they provided. If I ever need to stay in our near Hudson again I will definitely stay there!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night to see a band perform at Club Helsinki. Since we were only planning to sleep at the St. Charles Hotel, it met our needs. Nothing fancy, but decent, and definitely unique, just like Hudson. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable. Would stay here again if I ever get back to town. The proximity to Warren Street is ideal and the view of the park is charming.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chick127
Reviewed 16 January 2014

On a recent visit to Hudson, my 91 year old mom and I were welcomed with genuine kindness and assistance from the staff at the St. Charles Hotel in Hudson, NY. Coming from Oswego, NY on long, slow, slushy, foul winter weather night on the NYS Thruway. We arrived at 11:30 pm that evening, about 3 hours behind schedule. No matter, nas weary as we were, the evening staff greeted us at the door with welcome smiles and much needed assistance. All without being asked. My mom was seated in warmth and comfort. She was reassured by the staff. This is very important to me,. My mom has dimentia. She is a native Hudsonian, having grown up there in the 1920's. She felt comfortable, most at ease and most important, at home! Afterall, the City Park with it's old fountain and peacefulness, is located directly in front of the St. Charles. We were assisted to our room by a patient staff member. Settled in a clean room, one is always assured a quiet, restful sleep at the St. Charles. Continental breakfast in the clean, vintage, tin-ceiled dining area is good and simple....just like old Hudson!

Just so you know, this NOT a place where fleets of staff, clad in matching polyester outfits are running around at full-bore, stressing out guests and themselves alike. Genuine smiles and caring. A uniqueness all its own....It comes from the heart, not some corporate training manual. A jewel in the world of sameness, the St. Charless Hotel is located in the safe haven of uptown Hudson. We look forward to our next visit to Hudson. We will be staying at the St. Charles Hotel. You should too!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I will defiantly be staying at the St.Charles again the staff are very friendly and they went above and beyond to help me and to assist me in anyway possible.The rooms were very clean and the free breakfast is a plus I really enjoyed my stay

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Star2925
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Me and my wife stayed here with our 2-year old for a weekend getaway. It's inexpensive and gets the job done but nothing more. There are a couple of minor quirks to be aware of.

Regarding location the hotel is not on but is a stone's throw from Warren St., which seems to be the main drag of downtown Hudson, NY and where we hung out for most of the weekend. It's not quite centrally located but it's in a decent spot in terms of being walking distance to a few of the many nice restaurants and shops that line the length of Warren St. I saw a couple of comments saying the neighborhood is run down but to me it looked okay. It certainly didn't look much worse than the other parts of Hudson, NY we saw.

Regarding the room there wasn't really anything to complain about as far as amenities go. While on the small side for 2 adults and 1 child it was roomy enough. Furniture was new-ish looking and our king bed was comfortable. For TV you get about 50-60 channels of basic cable, though the TV itself was a 21" CRT that looked like it was made some time in the late 90s. Bathroom was standard, again nothing to complain about. Wi-fi is included and had acceptable speeds, however at around the same time for 2 of the 3 nights it went down for about 5-10 minutes.

There's ample parking at the hotel.

About those quirks:
(1) As I mentioned we had our 2-year old who we still mainly give homemade food. We assumed most hotels had small fridges in their rooms. Big mistake as ours didn't. The clerk said there were only a few in the whole hotel and were given on a first come first serve basis. This could've been a big deal but thankfully she looked around and found one for us and brought it to our room. If you're going to need a fridge be sure to specify that when you reserve a room.
(2) The extent of maid service was to give us new towels daily and nothing more. We didn't really need our towels replaced daily but I would've appreciated a little cleanup and getting our bed made, which didn't happen. While this isn't a big deal I did find it weird as it's something I expect when staying in hotels big or small.

Overall if all you need is a place to stay this isn't a terrible choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank H S
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I am a regular guest/user of the ballroom facility of the hotel. It is well managed, with a friendly, cheerful and efficient staff. The common areas are clean and well maintained. It is a pleasure to walk through the door because of the welcoming atmosphere at the front desk. Our clients have remarked on the friendly, inviting atmosphere of the facility.

Many friends have stayed at the St. Charles when visiting. For those without cars, Amtrak's riverside train station is just 5 minutes away by taxi. If one feels like strolling from the station, it is a short walk on treelined streets with beautiful homes in a multitude of architectural styles. For those that drive, hotel parking is ample and convenient. All guests have said that the rooms are clean and comfortable and available at a reasonable rate. The hotel is centrally located within the city of Hudson, with a view of the park. Step out the door and find art galleries, antique and home design stores, vintage jewelry & clothing, restaurants, cafes, bistros, bars and entertainment, all within walking distance of the great little hotel! I highly recommend a stay at the St. Charles

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudson
The Barlow
The Croff House Bed and Breakfast
26 Warren B & B
26 Warren B & B
#3 of 17 in Hudson

Been to St. Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!