“The Catskills Hold Their Own”
Review of Hunter Mountain

Hunter Mountain
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Hunter
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular ski resort providing excellent runs and trails for downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowtubing and snowshoeing.
Stephentown, New York
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“The Catskills Hold Their Own”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

So near the Adirondacks, we often forget how lovely the Catskills are... but the mountains are beautiful, the hiking is great and the towns full of fun places to shop and eat

Visited June 2014

Long Island, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Zip Lining at Hunter Mountain”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went with the family on a beautiful sunny day. Our first time Zip Lining. Staff is very professional and very serious about safely. I didn't know what to really expect. We went on the "smaller" zip line. Perfect for first timers and children. It's a great experience. I would love to return in the fall and see all the beautiful autumn leaves while Zip Lining

Visited June 2014
Wollongong, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful mountain - great for all seasons”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I liked everything I saw over there. I also heard it would be fantastic in Autumn as all leaves would change colours. Love to see these.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank alone2014p
New York
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Nearest Big Mountain Experience”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

If you live in NYC, this is the closest drive to a big moutain ski experience. I know everything about this mountain because I used to go here regularly and have worked here for a few years.

The mountain consists of 3 areas which is the beginner section, intemediate section (Hunter Mountain), and advanced (Hunter West).

The advanced section called Hunter West is actually pretty steep. Having skied on the west coast, Canada, and Europe I can tell you this is every bit as difficult. Steep terrain with large moguls. The added east coast ice makes it an even more difficult challenge than other places. Mogul techniques and good knees are recommended. There is a an easier single diamond area on Hunter Mountain which is less intimidating with less moguls.

Most of Hunter consist of intermediate trails and the longest and most popular one is called the Belt Parkway. Unfortunately, this is also a popular trail for snowboarders to practice tricks so stay on a lookout.

Hunter has a great beginner area and some trails are long and winding providing a great place for family skiing. If you take lessons, you start out sliding on a hill with no lift and then work your way to the bunny slope. There is even a kids section for younger students.

I basically perfected my skiing here and now i just go to the west coast every year just to enjoy sights and do a little skiing.

Visited March 2014
Huntington, New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“great for beginners”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We go to Hunter Mountain mainly so our kids can learn to ski. They have a great, well organized ski school, and it is very convenient for beginners because there are a good number of beginner (green circle) slopes, with practically all of the lifts for them located very close together.

DH and I have had the good fortune to experience skiing in Colorado, and there is absolutely no comparison, but Hunter is an easy drive for us, the school has been great, we liked where we stayed near the slopes at the Kaatskill Mountain Club lodge, and the fact that they make snow is a real bonus.

One of the beginner lifts is really rickety--(the last one all the way on the left). It really needs to be updated. The main lodge area is extremely busy and packed with people on the weekends or during school breaks; they do manage to keep things moving.

My main complaint is the main lodge area is terrible. It is way too small for the amount of people there. When our kids were younger and we sent them off to ski school, I imagined waiting with DH in a nice den type lounge with couches near a fireplace where you could get drinks or hot chocolate. Instead, we found ourselves in a tiny, loud cafeteria packed with people. For their 3 hour lesson we either stood, or sat in a one of those little chairs in the cafeteria if we could find a seat. Now that they're older we go back to the Kaatskill Mountain Club lodge during their lessons, but when they were younger I was surprised there wasn't a better set up. None of the other places to eat in the entire place are relaxing at all. Just not what I imagined.

I would love to venture further north to see what other ski resorts have to offer, but for now, this is good enough for teaching our kids to ski.

Visited January 2014