“Cozy place to get away from the city life!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hunter
Hunter Wellness Retreat
Staten Island, New York
“Cozy place to get away from the city life!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I loved how quiet it was in the room especially for a person who is from the city and the distance to the mountain is so convenient! Less than a mile away, you will be able to ski, or to visit the town's famous cheese shop. The owners were very pleasant and we were allowed to check in earlier. The breakfast was so delicious and you simply cannot resist the taste of home-cooked meal. I would definitely stay here again with group of friends next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Ok, so first let me start by saying the staff was very friendly and accommodating. They let us check in early at 9am when we arrived. We bought this through a Groupon deal that included an overnight, 2 lift tickets for Hunter Mountain, and breakfast for 2. The price was right as staying anywhere else would have likely cost us double for the night and it was only about a mile down the road from the mountain. We also were given the option to have a very late check out the following day with no charge to us, which was nice.
With that being said, I felt that we were a little disappointed with the place, and the description online was a tad misleading. For example, to be called a 'hotel & spa' is inaccurate. I would call it more of a motel with an indoor pool. Our room was very cold when we arrived, which was surprising to us, since if the staff knew we were going to be checking into that particular room, why not turn the heat on to make it more comfortable? This is not a huge deal, but the little things that make you more comfortable without having to ask is nice, especially for a so called 'hotel and spa.' Also, no soap in the bathroom. Again, this is another nicety I would expect from a hotel. Next, the parking lot was a sheet of ice. I understand it has been snowing a lot, but it was actually dangerous to walk on and every step we were afraid we were going to fall. This place was fine for a place to sleep after a long day of skiing, but I would probably not recommend others to stay here. The rooms were outdated and furniture appeared old. The rooms were clean, but because it is in need of an upgrade, this can cause it to appear more dingy than it actually is. If you are looking for an actual hotel and spa, this is not your place. I would suggest looking elsewhere and paying a little bit more. Those are the reasons why I have to rate this place as just average.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ann E
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Found a groupon for an overnight stay At the Health Retreat with lift tickets included. The grounds were well kept being that it has been snowing the whole winter was easy to walk around and park. The rooms were clean and cozy this is not a it was great for the night we stayed went up with 4 friends and it was a great place to come off the mountain and relax at. The food was great. the Staff was very pleasant. Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ejh2408
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I just returned from a fantastic ski weekend in Hunter. This was a Holiday week and all the other hotels demanded a minimum of 3 night stay at 400.00 per night (without lift tickets). We came here totally last minute - bought a groupon for 269 which included lift tickets for two. The staff was very friendly and let us check in early - 10:00 in the morning. So we were able to drop off our stuff, get ready to hit the slopes and no worries. When we returned we went for a swim in the nicely heated super clean pool. Afterwards we met the owner and he asked if we enjoyed the pool. We did very much, so we asked if we could come back the next day even though were to check out in the morning. He said we not only can come back to swim, but he said we can have a late check out as well...very late - we checked out around dinner time with no extra charges! Oh yeah..the breakfast was great too!

Thanks Darek! We had a great time!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Holly R
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you are looking for an affordable weight loss retreat, this is it! As others have mentioned, it is quite rustic. Yes, the rooms and common areas could use some updating, but this would result in paying double or even triple the price. Hunter Mountain Hotel and Spa feels more like an intimate private retreat.The staff and food were outstanding! The exercise instructors were knowledgable personable, fun and dedicated to helping the guests achieve their weight loss goals. The massage therapists were also excellent! Many of the guests were return visitors who had been coming to the place for many years. The setting was beautiful and we were especially lucky to be there for the colorful fall foliage. The beauty of the changing leaves made the daily walks much more enjoyable. Besides losing a few pounds, I made some wonderful new friends.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the only room with a sauna and jacuzzi tub. However, we really didn't use it enou...