“Pleasant stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hunter
Kaatskill Mountain Club
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Hunter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After a 2 hour train journey from Penn Station to Hudson and more than a little difficulty first locating the taxi and the the village of Hudson (despite the fact the driver was a Catskill resident!) first impressions were of a pleasant, if slightly tired apart hotel.
Most apartments are owned through a timeshare type agreement and so the resort has a lot of regular / repeat visitors.
Rooms are very large and spacious with kitchenettes and reasonable, if again a little tired, bathrooms. They come complete with DVD player and movies are available to borrow for free from reception which is a nice touch. Wireless access in our room (287) was very patchy but is good in public areas.
It boasts a 'continental' breakfast as included although this consistent of just cereal and yoghurt.
The bar food is good (excellent chicken wings!) and the restaurant very good with a wide choice of meat and really tasty steak. The breakfast buffet on the Saturday was a little average though.
The spa area is good and I had a very nice hot stone massage and the outdoor hot tub is fun. Although I didn't use it the fitness room looked well equipped.
Staff throughout the hotel are courteous if not especially friendly. We also struggled to get advice on transport options back to Hudson as there seemed to be little knowledge about the wider area.
The hotel is ski in ski out as long as you are comfortable on green runs.
This is a great little ski resort and hotel but be warned it does not have the slickness of the large US and European resorts and après ski is almost non existent. But, based on our experience in early March, if you want no lift queues, empty slopes, good instruction in small groups and a fun local resort experience then it is perfect. There is a good local pub (MacGregors) that does amazing burgers (and has an old school Pacman machine) and there are a couple of good restaurant options in neighbouring villages.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jen W

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I vowed to go ski or snowboard this season for the first time and I feel like I picked the right place. The Katskill Mountain Club itself was very nice and super convenient to Hunter Mtn. The staff were all very friendly; amenities are great, heated pool, hot tub, etc. Even the on-site restaurant's menu exceeded my expectations. Highly recommend. Great getaway out of NYC, only a 2 hour drive. Will be back in the fall to check out the foliage and do some hiking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The hotel has some highs and lows but unfortunately the lows out weigh the positives. Our first experience to hotel was awful being greeted by the most rude, gruff and condescending person I have ever seen at a front desk. she was down right rude, she greeted us by say Yes?, then demanded id and credit card. She thumped sign in sheet and said sign here. Not pleasant experience at all. She also talked down to us explaining long list of rules of the pool and facilities. i felt like I was being reviewed for boot camp. the kicker was that she was training someone else as well.
The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bed was small and uncomfortable. The walls were very thin and you could hear conversations from rooms on both sides which kept us up. The pool was nice and the highlight to the stay, however avoid hot tubs as both had floating scum in them and not cleaned in a while.
The restaurant was nice but I think the hostess was related to front desk clerk as we seemed to have interrupted her. The waitress however made up for it as being very friendly and attentive. The restaurant was nearly empty but the hostess went to seat a family with young kids next to us, thankfully the waitress stepped in and moved them. Both parties were relieved. The food was very good and reasonable.
I would not stay here again due to the front desk greeting and the sleep quality. the are better choices and this is NOT the high end resort it advertises.

Room Tip: Expect unpleasant check in
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HunterMountain, Public Relations Manager at Kaatskill Mountain Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time your experience, it is very helpful for us to receive feedback. While most of the guest comments we receive are positive and let us know that we are providing the level of service our guests have come to expect and appreciate, the intermittent critical response lets us know where we can improve. We will make it a point to re-train the staff assisting customers at check in to assure another guest does not encounter this experience. There is a decent amount of information that has to be shared with customers at check in, in regards to information about the resort and safety procedures for the pool and spa usage.

We’re glad that you were able to enjoy the pool, and assure you that we do drain, clean and refill our hot tubs on a daily basis, to ensure they are clean and safe for guests’ use.

We’re also glad that you enjoyed the wait staff service and food at Van Winkle’s restaurant.

Thanks, again, for being our guest. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

KMC & Hunter Mountain Management

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Hi everyone,

If you were like me and wanting a great place to go sking close to NJ then Hunter Mtn is the place you should go. First the staff at Vanwinke Restaurant were fantastic and I should tell you I don't write review when people do the job they are suppose to but only when they go above an beyone.
First Tristen who got my water and roles for me every night was very nice, professional and showed interest in me as a guest. Cory who was the runner there got my food very quickly and he wanted to make sure everything was just so with my food. Dynell one my servers was very personable and friendly . On another Night Kyle was my server and he was also very nice.
Why did I write this review: The food was not bad and the people there made me feel like I was part of the family evermore so then most country clubs do that I belong too. They took great effort to get to know me; greated me by name and wanted to know how I was enjoying things and if there was anything I could do.

I gave this property a very good instead of excellent because there were some suggestions on things I was not happy about.

1) When I checked in even though I was told before $300.00 would be taken as a hold on my credit card. I expressed my discontent with this and I was told the reason for it is because they don't own the rooms; but instead are a timeshare and there are several owners of them. I feel that if you stay there one time and have a good reputation during you stay you should not have to do this each time. The first time ok; but it should not be every time.

2) When you walk in the lobby there is a very strong relaxing spa scent which is ok but sometimes that is not what you want to smell, so that should be tonned down.

Please read my review about my experience at Hunter Mtn.

Room Tip: If you want to get a good price at this resort. 1) Book Early and goto huntermtn.com and 2) The...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Every single member of the staff was wonderful to us and made a non-skiing vacation at a ski resort absolutely fabulous. Great food, fun activities, lovely room, and the nicest spa services anyone could ask for!

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suite was spacious and full of amenities.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Roxanne K
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is my husband and mine's second year spending his birthday weekend at Hunter Mountain and staying at the Kaatskill Mountain Club, and I have to say that every experience has been wonderful! The amenities are great, and perfect for a couple (or family) with the hot tub and Van Winkles restaurant. What's more, you're a walk away from Hunter's slopes making it incredibly convenient for anyone!

Additionally, the concierge -- more specifically, Jessika! -- was more than accommodating and assisted in my needs quickly when booking.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at the Kaatskil Mountain Club for a stellar experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I am a business traveler used to high end stays and was surprised at how truly charming this hotel/club has been. The rooms have great views and functional purpose. The access to the lifts out the door is their best feature. Game changing for us to be able to visit the mountain I've skied on since the early 80s.

Try the restaurant too, great staff (Dorothea is a gem).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HaphazardGourmet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hotel Vienna
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 3 in Tannersville

Been to Kaatskill Mountain Club? Share your experiences!