“Another nice visit”
Review of Hunter Inn

Hunter Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hunter
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I disagree with the previous reviewer. Yes, one morning they did run out of coffee but it was replenished quickly. Yes, the rooms are older but what do you expect. We stayed Friday and Saturday, August 9 and 10. We were there again for the German Alps festival. We again enjoyed the stay at the inn and the festival. We also did the ski lift ride to the top of the mountain. At the inn, we had a delux room (main floor) with the balcony looking at the mountains. Great view. All of the staff we met were very good and friendly. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room with the mountain view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JLESTO

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Two years in a row. Never enough coffee in the morning for guests, you have to wait around until someone sows up. The receptionist does not do well with complaints and is not sympathetic. The rooms are a horror, rugs are stain and smell musky, the air conditioner is so old that is does not blow cold air, the beds are worped in the center and feels like you are sleeping in ha, the bed spread gives you the. These owners should improve a little and make customers happy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bhgdhnvfhj
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Our stays at the Hunter in have always coincided with Memorial Services at the Latvian Memorial Cemetery...the first time when my mother passed away; this time at my father's passing. Each stay has been with family from Boston, Colorado, California. The Inn is charming, the staff gracious and helpful...some whom we have known since our first visit! The Inn is beginning to show age, but as long as the owners continue to keep it up, we will continue to be happy guests! The selection of rooms is varied and meets everyone's needs. We love the fact that as a family we can cluster in the spacious rooms, the lovely lobby complete with fireplace, the bar, or in the mornings in the lovely dining room for their great breakfast buffet. We have many fond memories of our stays at the Inn...it has become a tradition!

Room Tip: We have stayed in the two story suite when accompanied by my father when he was still with us. Very...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Spopar1
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

This is my goto hotel when visiting hunter .
The service is great and the rooms are older but functional . Let the hot water run A while prior to your shower it takes some time to get hot but there is plenty when it gets there.
Great breakfast to start day.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I am not sure exactly where to start with this review. I had very high hopes for this "inn" since it looked great on the website and the reviews here sung its high praises.

Sadly, I cannot concur with any of the positive reviews.

After a 3 hour drive we check into a room which had the thermostat set to a brisk 60 degrees. We raised the temperature to the mid 70s but it took over an hour to get the room warmed up. As a result, my girlfriend and I had to keep our jackets on for over an hour in order to avoid freezing. This is not the best or smartest way to welcome your guests, especially since they were expecting us at a certain time, and we were there at that time.

Next is the shower situation. The hot and cold water must be engaging in some sort of civil war at this inn. I'd preset the shower to a "warm" temperature and it would be fine for a few minutes. Then, at random, it would either become scolding hot or freezing cold. I am not joking either, it became extremely hot incredibly quickly and subsequently my arms, chest, and legs aquired a bad heat rash for over a day from it. My girlfriend was not using the sink/toilet at the time so I am not sure what caused these insane temperature fluxes. This happened every day.

On the surface, the room looks clean but it clearly is not cleaned properly. Along the corners of the room and the areas behind the backboard of the bed are incredibly disgusting. Behind the backboard of my bed I found; a bunch of different and moldy jelly beans, tissues, a couple of dead bugs (not sure which kind), dust, mold, a couple of crushed pretzels, and other stuff I didn't recognize. It's really not hard for the staff to get one of those vacuums with the nozzel and quickly vacuum behind the bed. It was so gross sleeping in those beds night after night.

The hotel has many different vending machines, but none of them seem to be stocked with any beverages and I tried them all. The ice machines do have ice though.

The bar seemed to be the only safe haven in this place. The drinks were a bit pricey; a beer and a cranberry vodka cost $19, but it was clean and well maintained. Also, the breakfast was pretty good and it felt quite cozy eating there in the morning.

The only thing this place seems to have going for itself is its location. It's about 5 minutes to the mountain and right down the road is a gas station which has plenty of sundries and food at good prices. We bought lots of snacks and drinks for the room. Also, about 10 minutes away is a sort of Main street with restaurants and shops.

The bottom line? Do yourself a favor and rent some one's vacation home. If you plan on going up to Hunter Mountain more than once, then it would be in your best interest to do this. A friend of mine rented a small, but cozy apartment for the entire season (December through March) for $1,500. In contrast, we paid over $500 for only 2 nights at this place. I recommend staying away from this place if I were you.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank YankeesFan27
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Great experience at the Hunter Inn this past weekend. Went up for a quick ski trip with 8 of my buddies and the Hunter Inn was everything we needed plus some.

STAFF -(Hotel) was more than accommodating but still stayed true to their audience with a friendly yet no - BS attitude. Girl at the front desk went out of her way to make sure everything we wanted/requested was taken care of but wouldn't be pushed around. Night Security was always present and mitigated any "shenanigans" quickly before non-nightlife participating guests were disturbed. (Bar/Restaurant) - Bar tenders were friendly, fast and poured well. Waitresses - had the same girl twice - did the job "Ok" but I think a job is hospitality might be a stretch for her.

CLEANLINESS- Probably cleaner than your house. I went to the breakfast buffet in my socks and didn't feel like I need to burn them afterwards. Room(s) were clean and well appointed. Housekeeping staff did a great job every day.

AMENITIES - Bar/Restaurant all noted above. Lobby has a great feel and complementary coffee and tea throughout the day/night. Nice hot tub outside, make an appointment at the front desk (smart move by the hotel management - no one needs NY'ers fighting over "hot tub time"). My only complaint was that the water wasn't that hot. Management, if you're reading this, HOT water is great after a cold/hard working day on a mountain. Great little game room on the ground level with video/table games for all age levels. The hotel also offers a TV room, for what I don’t know, but hey, they do offer it.

PARKING/TRANSPORT - Parking is plentiful and well organized. As for transportation - I wish they offered a shuttle to the mountain given their close proximity. I think that might be in the works though as I noticed a small school bus outside the Inn.

SKIING - this is totally unattached to the Inn but I have to say something about it. Hunter Mountain is for Strong Intermediate/Advanced skiers. While the mountain is flooded with first timers it might be wise for your safety/the safety of others for all those who are on rented skies, wearing designer jeans on the mountain and/or like to cruise slowly while taking WIDE turns to go to Windham. In sum - beginners/morons don't ski Hunter. Let there be a sacred place in the Catskills were people who have a clue can go and do what they love to do.

In sum, stay at the Hunter Inn.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank James G
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My wife and I typically stay here when we go to Hunter. The rooms are nice and clean and the property is very close to the mountain. The staff is always very nice and accommodating. In the past the only let down of any visit was the outdoor hut tub was not working.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hotel Vienna
Copper Kettle Motel Cottages
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Hunter Inn? Share your experiences!