“OK place, a bit pricey though” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hunter Inn

Hunter Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hunter
Bronx, New York
“OK place, a bit pricey though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

Average place. Expected somewhat more for the price. Definitively, needs a new coat of paint and some other minor renovations. Nice breakfast buffet though.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RenatoBruni

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vestal, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

I tried to book a room during the TAP festival that was going on nearby. First, they put me on a waiting list. What kind of hotel has a waiting list!?! Come to find out, It’s just a way for them to control how they want to screw over their customers. When I was first put on the waiting list I was told I would receive a call within the week to confirm my reservation. Over 2 weeks later, I called again and was told that I would receive a phone call within the day and there was no problem with me getting a room for that weekend. 4 days later I called again to find out that they had booked all of their rooms and could do nothing for me. Each time that I called I asked if there was a minimum night stay since I was only staying 1 night and each time was told that there was not. I also asked if there was any way I would not get a room to which they told me I would definitely not have a problem booking a room because I was so far up on their waiting list. I was lied to on many occasions by their staff and during my last phone call, conveniently there was no manager available to speak to.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank bumtraveler

Travellers are raving about these Hunter hotels

new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hunter Inn for the first time and checked in about 4:00 pm midweek. We stayed for two nights and purchased the ski package, which incidently was a good deal. However , We were greeted at the front desk by a somewhat average looking women, one you would never notice in a crowd. Although she behaved like a women who thought she had a lot more going on, so much so that she openly flirted with my husband. When I asked her a question about wether our room had an outside entrance she answered me with a "snotty" tone. Then I asked her about the breakfast buffet, you know, questions like, where is it, how do we get there, what time does it start. She looked at my husband and said "you know don't you since you've been here before", we both told her that neither of us had ever been there before. She said "are you sure, you look so familiar". Now that is an absolute insult to me. She was trying to incinuate that my husband has been there with out me. Lets just say he had been there before, which I know he has not , why would she say that unless she was just trying to get my goat. Now thats just plain "triffling". What did I do to her? except make her feel insecure, thats not my fault. Then we walked around the lobby looking at the pamplet display and other stuff, at one point we were laughing out loud and she looked over at my husband and said, "are you starting trouble over there hehe". In fact she said that same thing to HIM twice before we left to go down the hall to our room.
I was not going to lower myself to her standards so I kept quiet, but I told my husband on check out day if she so much as opens her mouth again in that way I was going to tell her a thing or too.
Like I said, the ski package was a good deal, however, getting information was like pulling teeth. We had to ask her everything, like, when and where do we pick up the lift ticketts, when and where is the buffet. We purchased a ski package, all the information should be together and available!!!.
The web page stated the room included HBO, haha, try to find which channel its on. On the last day we found the laminated page listing the T.V. channels under the edge of the televison inside the dusty t.v. cabinate.
There is a lot of places to stay in that area that offer ski packages, if they want people to come there they have to offer something just a bit better than the next guy to make you come, not offer below average service with snotty , flirty plain looking women. Even the next day when I asked another young women working there some questions about the jacuzzi she looked at me like I had two heads, I guess she thought I should know that too. I will say that the young women working at the buffet was very friendly and nice, she took pictures of us with my camera. Incidently, thats NOT a breakfast buffet, its a glorified continental breakfast. Nothing except for the fireplace was like they described it on thier web page.
If that women is an employee she should be fired, if she has a stake in the ownership she needs to start a different buisness, like maybe cleaning house where you don't really have to talk to people.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sjnrs
Jersey Shore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

We just stayed at the Hunter Inn this past weekend. It is one of the nicest Inns we have ever stayed at. The seating area in the lobby with the roaring fireplace made me feel like I was right in my own living room. The staff, especially Laura, are extremely helpful. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel at home. The breakfast was very good. We ate dinner at the restaurant one night and it was really tasty. The Inn is only a few minutes from the ski lifts. The rooms were very comfortable and we expecially liked the layout of the suite with the loft room for teenage son. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kimberly0515
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hunter Inn for our Third Time this past February. All-in-all it was not a bad trip. The location is fantastic and only a minutes drive to the Hunter Slopes. The staff was pretty friendly throughout the trip although we had minimal contact with them. The first two times we stayed in the 400 loft suites but this trip it was not available and we stayed in the 300 rooms which were not as nice.

The Good...

Location is very convenient

Breakfast is good

Rooms are comfortably sized

The Bad...

No elevator; you have to lug your bags and ski's up and down switchback stairs.

Hot water issues; There was a major and dangerous hot water issue in our room... If someone used water near by there wasn't enough supply to keep the cold water mixing in the shower diverter so you would get hit with scalding hot water almost instantly. Serious enough to cause significant harm to small children or elderly people without quick reactions.

Room Decor; Very Late 80's / Early 90's. Carpets, tile, bed spreads, curtains all need some work. Walls could use a little better patch work where repairs had been done over the years and a fresh coat of paint. Lighting in the rooms is generally poor.

Beds; Could use some higher quality linens and mattress. The mattress and pillows were very worn and need to be replaced.

Acoustics; Were TERRIBLE. Although the wall and floor construction is sound the door lacked any type of acoustical seal. We stayed when a trip of 30+ Brazilian foreign exchange teenage students were in the hotel. Screaming, laughing, talking, walking, running in the lounge could be clearly heard through the entire night.

Restaurant; I had Chicken Parm the first night there in the Hotel Dining Room... Didn't know that chicken came in the texture of a leather shoe. Over priced even if the food were good quality. Recommend Last Chance.

Wi-Fi; Come on... it's 2011 it shouldn't be that hard to have wi-fi access in every room.

Keys; Card Readers would be better... our keyed lock was worn and required some finesse to get the door to open.

In summary if you're going for a quick weekend to just do skiing this is a great place to stay. The breakfast is hearty and you might even end up skipping lunch at the slopes if you make good use of it. If you're looking for any of the more comfortable/romantic trip with plenty of amenities... don't expect to find them in abundance at this establishment.

My advice to the owners would be to fix the hot water issues before you have a rather expensive law-suit on your hands stemming from severe burns.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IceArchitect
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed for one night over the long weekend and I was so happy I stayed here. The winter package is a great deal - $110 per person which included one-night stay, lift ticket for Hunter, free buffet breakfast (includes hot food - a big plus!) and a $10 off coupon for dinner at the in-house restaurant.

Pros:
- It's about a 5 minute drive to Hunter Mountain. If the mountainside rooms are available take it as the view is so much nicer than the view that I had (the main road). Even though our room faced the main road it was not noisy.
- The food at the restaurant is really, really good. Don't underestimate it like I did initially. The service is exceptional. Our waitress for dinner was so gracious. Also during breakfast, the food is always being replenished.
- The staff overall is very friendly and this contributes to the cozy feel of the place.
- The rooms were warm when we arrived - another big plus especially if you've been out in the cold all day. The room was also clean and the bathroom looked like it was renovated.

The cons in my opinion are minimal but may be a big deal to someone else. The beds were a bit stiff for me but I slept well. I would have liked "fluffier" pillows but again, I still slept well. The decor in the room was a bit dated but I thought it fit well with the place.

I highly recommend Hunter Inn for its great value, great service and great location.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LM1708
Southern New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

My group (7 rooms) stayed at the Hunter Inn while participating in the Warrior Dash-Northeast at Windham Mountain in September 2010.

Having stayed at the Hunter Inn many times before, we knew what to expect...and we got what we expected: a great hotel rate, clean rooms, convenient location for our planned activities, fireplace in the lobby, outdoor hottub (open during the winter months), game room, bar, and a breakfast that can't be beat!

During the ski season, take advantage of the Ski Package which at a great price includes hotel room, the awesome breakfast, and lift ticket to Hunter Mountain!

Other stuff...
The staff can provide a telephone number for a local taxi service that is fast and inexpensive (less that $20 for 4 people to Tannersville)...no reason to get behind the wheel after a couple of adult beverages. Stop in at the Spinning Room Bar and say hello to my new good friend, Kat.

Stop in at Vincent's Farm Market on Route 32 for fresh vegetables, pies, and jarred food at a great price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beachbummz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hotel Vienna
Xenia Resort
Xenia Resort
#3 of 6 in Hunter
Mountain Treasure Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hunter Inn? Share your experiences!