“If there's no Room at the Inn.....it's full of happy guests.”
Review of Fairlawn Inn

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“If there's no Room at the Inn.....it's full of happy guests.”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

If you travel to Hunter, NY and don't stay at the Fairlawn Inn you missed the best B&B's in the Catskills. Recently there for our daughter wedding both families filled the Inn. Chuck, the proprietor provided a pleasant atmosphere in a beautifully kept Inn where the rooms are clean, well furnished and breakfast is not to be missed. We had a great time becoming part of a larger family, including Chuck. Hey Chuck, enjoy Key West and get some well deserved rest.
B&B

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Richfield, Ohio
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Our son was married this past weekend in Hunter. Immediate family of both the bride and groom stayed at the Fairlawn Inn and we held the rehearsal dinner there. The inn is beautiful, Chuck and the staff are extremely nice and very accommodating. We had wonderful breakfasts, very lovely accomodations and would definitely return--hopefully sometime soon :) The rehearsal dinner had a Mexican theme and Chuck made great food and decorated really nicely to complement the theme. A good time was had by all! A definite return trip is in order!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
bangor, pa
Reviewed 10 July 2011

our 25 year walker reunion was spectular at the fairlawn. starting with a morning walk followed by one of chuck's magnificent breakfasts. daily side trips to hyde park and the culinary institute were inrertesting and informative.our nightime sing along at the firepit brought back memories of former get togethers. the inn provided a marvelous backdrop for reacquaintances of friends from florida, arizona, and pennsylvania. generous chuck GAVE me a berry bowl i'd admired uponarrival. i'd highly recommend the fairlawn for your next reunion.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Loved this place. Rooms were clean and nicely maintained. Chuck, the owner, was most helpful and provided lots of suggestions about area attractions and dining. The provided breakfast is not to be missed.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hahns
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We love the Fairlawn Inn and feel like Chuck is family. He has a wicked sense of humor and I start laughing and feel very at home on arrival. He is environmental in nature and will ask that you respect that. No problem there!! He offers a wonderful atmosphere, privacy and a beautiful place to relax. We have stayed there twice and had a great experience both times. The breakfast is to die for and I must say, it was the best I ever had! The people staying there all began talking as if we were all old friends. I have traveled all over the world, and this is still one of my favorites. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Talk to Chuck and explain what type of stay desir.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Chatham, NY
Reviewed 7 June 2011

For the past five years, friends/family and I have stayed at the Fairlawn for four nights and three days during Mountain Jam. The inn is absolutely lovely and the innkeeper, Chuck, couldn't be more accommodating.

Each year, we stay in the Opal Room, which is a large room in the turret of the main house with a claw-footed bathtub . (I recommend it!) The dining room and sitting rooms (one with a pool table) are conducive to relaxation and mingling with fellow guests.

Each year, we look forward to Chuck's sumptuous and delectable breakfasts. He goes out of his way to keep all of his guests happy and comfortable, even keeping us updated with weather reports for the mountain. In the evenings, the patio is always available for conversation around a hand-sculpted fire pit.

If you are planning on being in the Hunter area, don't miss the opportunity to stay at the Fairlawn.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 June 2011

This is the first B&B I've stayed at, so I feel like it would be wrong to give it 5 stars when I have nothing to compare against.

My wife decided to "surprise" me with a weekend in the Catskill's but, not knowing the area, booked a reservation at Acra Manor. We checked in at Acra Manor (NOT the Fairlawn) and it was such a dump that we didn't even want to stay there and were willing to risk the possibility of losing a $100 deposit just to get out of there, but I digress.

My wife called around to see if we could find a room elsewhere last minute, and one of the B&Bs recommended the Fairlawn. Chuck the Innkeeper took us in on extremely short notice and provided us with directions. We even had two small dogs with us (fairly quiet ones, of course) and he didn't turn us away.

Upon arriving, Chuck gave us a quick tour of the place with some basic rules and tips for things like not locking yourself out of your room, where snacks/sodas were, and so on. We were both very happy to be at a nice and clean place with character in a quaint and relaxing area with some things to do compared to where we had just come from!

Breakfast is 8 - 9am. I usually sleep in late on vacation until around 9am but the breakfast was worth waking up for. We were nearly late for breakfast both mornings, showing up at maybe 8:45am and 8:50am and I was expecting that we might be turned away for the 8:50am "late" appearance, but we were welcomed and served a delightful breakfast both times. My wife mentioned her love of the apple butter that was used one morning, and Chuck the Innkeeper remembered and provided her with a gift of the apple butter he uses when we checked out. We did leave a tip for the cleaning/staff, but felt a little awkward NOT leaving a tip for Chuck during breakfast because it was so good.... a Google search claims you're not supposed to tip B&B owners and many even have a "no-tipping policy"? Again, not familiar with B&Bs but Chuck could probably have something that says "Gratuities NOT Required but Appreciated" and make an extra $5 per couple each morning if that doesn't violate some law of B&Bs. :)

Chuck also gave us tips on where to go, eat, etc. that worked out well.

One night, Chuck shared with us some rather hilarious stories about some of his experiences in the business over pizza. Based on some of those stories, I think there is a need for him to run the risk of coming off as a bit strident to some of the guests now and then! I think some people don't know the difference between "being scolded like a child" and just being asked to do something that is, mind you, a fairly reasonable request. One morning we did leave the lights on in our room (this used to be a terrible pet peeve of mine and I still usually walk around the house turning off lights that my wife leaves on) and we were just sitting outside with the dogs at our feet on the relaxing porch area and Chuck asked if we minded turning off the lights if we're not using them. This is quite a reasonable request, and I was happy to oblige. You are paying and deserve all the excellent things that are provided, but at the same time there should be some level of respect and "I'm a guest in someone else's home" mentality--at least at some level.

Chuck also seems very committed to being "Green". Wireless internet was also available without additional charges.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!