“"Fair" Fairlawn”

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Chuck is a total creep and very, very, rude!.

Our bathroom smelled like urine leading me to believe that the throw rugs are not washed after each guest. The room itself "smelled" like an old closet. No cups in the bathroom and only 2 towels. Shampoo in a large decorative bottle with no top! Trying to be "green" ! No lotion or conditioner , only a "free sample" of deodorant!

Breakfast was mediocre-not like the lavish spreads most all other b&b's I've been to have had. Little "fake" creamer cups and cheap paper napkins. "Green" would have been fabric napkins and real cream on the table for coffee. "Green" or "cheap"!?

No appetizers in the evening or afternoon tea. Railings are all weak and could be quite dangerous if an elderly person or a heavy person used it for support esp the one on the back porch! Paint is peeling .

He "trashed" former guests because they were up late partying on their vacation and he had to clean up the empty beer cans! At the prices he charges for terrible service and just OK breakfast a little noise shouldn't have been a bother !

The Inn itself is quite beautiful as are the gardens. The woman who works for him is a real sweetheart! The Gazebo Room and the Opal room are esp beautiful.

Hard to rate the service as we were afraid to ask for anything!

Oh--the "snack jar" had a bunch of stale and some outdated chips and crackers in it! Yummy!

My terrible review is based primarily on on the Inn Keeper and his rudeness. I also heard in town that he is the "head" of the Chamber of Commerce in Hunter! I don't know how that could possibly have happened!

Room Tip: The rooms on the "outside" second floor are best as they open to a very nice porch.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank deltasunrise
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

First, I apologize to this guest for any level of dissatisfaction they experienced here during their stay. I will respond to every part of the review as it is important for any guest that comes here that we exceed their expectation. We failed miserably in this case apparently. We offer quality accommodations and would have addressed any of these issues had the guest brought them to our attention at any time of their stay.

Each room is cleaned extensively, bathrooms included. After each guest leaves all towels, linens and bathmats are laundered and replaced. We are a green establishment and have pump dispensers on the wall above each shower head. We do have individual amenities if they are requested but a vast majority of guests are happy with the organic fair trade and all natural peppermint soap, Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioners in those dispensers. I think what this guest was referring to was bubble bath and bath salts in antique stoppered bottles available in each room that has a claw foot tub. We felt that was an amenity that was offered as a bonus not a substitute. We also participate in a marketing program that offers guest free samples, this time it was an attractively packaged deodorant. What we thought this was another plus not a negative.

We offer a lavish and home cooked breakfast. Please read all other reviews to see the rave reviews from our other satisfied guests. We are proud of what we offer and it is of the utmost quality and freshly prepared every day. A vast majority of our reviewers (and guests that do not post reviews) continually rave about what we offer for breakfast and that is followed up in most reviews. We cannot fathom their disappointment. We offer both flavored individual creamers and half and half, none are artificial. We do use paper napkins, they do decompose and are compost-able. We formerly had fabric napkins but thought the laundry was more detrimental to the environment than the paper napkins we do use.

The paint on the rear of the inn was peeling, most had been already scraped and since this review has been posted it has been scraped, primed and is waiting for the proper weather to paint. The historic nature of the inn keeps us on our toes maintaining it. The area this guest refers to was not visible from the street and was in the process of being maintained and repainted. We apologize for that part that was in process. It is part of the process and by the time this response is posted it will have been finished. Projects all take time and this one was in process.

The weekend that this guest visited was a "Warrior Dash" weekend and I offered comments to ALL guests that there would be a 10pm curfew in all common areas for that weekend. I had a mixed group in the house this year and last year the "Warrior Dashers" were up past 3AM celebrating. They disturbed many guests that were too polite to wake me but did comment on the noise that kept them up the next morning. My responsibility it to insure all guests have a good experience here, I thought I was being proactive and apologize to this guest if they found my comment to be rude or inappropriate.

The snacks in the snacks in the "complimentary" snack basket, are freshly purchased as are the complimentary soft drinks, fruit and cookies in the cookie jar. We offer many complimentary things to guests, pride ourselves on our hospitality and the fresh and organic nature of what we offer as part of their experience.

We are disappointed that this guest felt less than valued and do whatever we can to address any shortfall if it is brought to our attention. This review, along with any review will be considered and used to make our inn a better place to visit. We unfortunately did not make this guest happy and for that we apologize. I would encourage all guests to read all the reviews on trip advisor to see that normally we do exceed most of our guests expectations.

There are newer reviews for Fairlawn Inn

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My fiance and I went here for our first away date and we loved the place. We have been back many times since. We have become regulars there and we are having our wedding there this August. Chuck the owner has been fantastic in helping us plan everything. Every time we go there we meet more nice people. And we have managed to stay in touch with some of them. This is truely a magical place. The gardens are beautiful as are the rooms. This is a charming old Inn in a very pretty part of the country. Hanging out around the fire pit at night is a great way to get to know other guests. Chucks breakfasts are always delicious and he has a way of coming up with new ideas all the time.

Room Tip: We have stayed in most of the rooms I can't say which is my favorite they are all great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

We always enjoy these guests and are looking forward to their wedding which will be coming shortly. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

If you are like my husband and I and you are sick of staying at large impersonal hotels, this the place for you. Chuck (the proprietor) greets you when you arrive, cooks you breakfast in the morning and hangs out in the evening around the fire pit. The rooms were adorable and every corner of the house had another interesting piece of decor to look at.

If you are looking for something luxurious, this is not the place. The rooms are not huge, but nicely decorated. Additionally, if this is important to you, the Inn is very "Green". You won't get soaps to take home and add to your collection, there is a dispenser in the shower. (much better in my opinion, I have enough of those little soaps)

In conclusion it was a charming inn in the mountains that I would love to go back to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We had a great stay at the Fairlawn, in the beautiful and comfortable Opal Room. It is large, airy and well decorated. The claw foot tub in the bathroom was a great experience. Chuck is a dedicated Innkeeper. His breakfasts are amazing, the gardens a delight, the antiques interesting, and the overall atmosphere charming. Also, the location is near some great hiking trails and small towns with good restaurants. Hunter is an excellent location in the heart of the Catskills. Our stay far exceeded are expectations. Thank you, Chuck, for making us feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

We are certainly glad we exceeded your expectations. We try with every guest to insure their stay with us was pleasant. You and your sister were a pleasure to host and we hope you will return often.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Wife and I had a marvelous experience. Chuck (the innkeeper) goes to great pains to make sure your experience is what you expect and more. He takes great pride, as he should, in the grounds he immaculately maintains, and the comfort and style of the rooms in this 1904 restored home.
I grew up in Hunter and returned for a 45th high school reunion! This was so memorable in that I remember this home long before it was a B and B and even knew, quite well, the family that summered here!
Oh yes, we had omelets specially prepared by Chuck that were just out of this world.
A must stay..........

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

We are glad your return to your home in Hunter was a good one. You must miss the gorgeous scenery and laid back lifestyle you had when you lived here. You and your wife were a great addition to my weekend. I am an honorary member of the class of 1957, having hosted them in 2007 when they celebrated their 50th. Many returned this year and came to visit and tour the garden and house to see any changes. Thanks for the compliments and we hope you will visit many times more.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband and I lucked out getting a room at the Fairlawn Inn for Mountain Jam. Before we even got to Hunter, NY, Chuck, the Inn Keeper had already provided us with abundance of information about restaurants and attractions in the area. The inn is decorated immaculately and we found our room to be very comfortable and attractive! Each morning, Chuck cooked breakfast to order from a small menu which featured daily, seasonal specials. The breakfast was soo good, especially the scones that we made sure we were at the table on time every morning. Chuck also put out snacks for the taking as well as fresh baked goods nightly when we returned from the mountain. I was also very impressed with Chuck's efforts to run a green inn. Make sure to check out Chuck's antique store across the street, we bought a hope chest, and he helped us with tools to break it down to make it fit in the car. Overall, we couldn't have asked for more from the Fairlawn Inn, and have already decided to go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

We are glad there was room at the inn to share in your honeymoon. We have a great Mountain Jam weekend every year and are glad you re-booked for next year. Thanks for the patronage, the compliments and see you again in June of 2013.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

I recently returned from my 6th annual Mountain Jam weekend at the Fairlawn Inn and each year never fails to exceed my expectations. The interior and exterior decor is inviting and relaxing, the innkeeper, Chuck is welcoming and accommodating, the food is outstanding and plentiful, and the room (Opal) is spotless and has great amenities including a large claw foot bathtub (my favorite). It is no wonder that this is the weekend I look forward to most each year and that Mountain Jam guests book their rooms for next year as they turn in their room keys.

Another plus for me is the 3 leaf eco rating that the Inn has. Chuck works very hard to keep his carbon footprint light and is working on his 4th leaf. Staying at the Fairlawn is like returning home every year. Chuck goes out of his way to make sure every guest is well taken care of. It is especially nice to come back at the end of the day's events to find a fire in the pit (it gets chilly on the mountain in the spring evenings) on the patio and fresh baked goodies in the dining room.

My only regret is that I can't spend more time at the Fairlawn Inn. It is truly a hidden paradise in the Catskill Mountains.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are larger
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Mountain Brook
Mountain Brook
#2 of 5 in Tannersville

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!