“A Very Rewarding Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Shanghai
“A Very Rewarding Stay”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed at Fairlawn Inn for a skiing weekend. Spring Valley is the room we chose. It is warmly decorated with beautiful artworks, comfortable bed and a fireplace. Chuck, the innkeeper, is highly efficient and organized for what he does, but also feels a friend full of insights and curiosity of the world. When I booked Friday morning for our two-night stay on Friday and Saturday, it was too close to our arrival time so the online reservation was closed. I called Chuck and he suggested that I reserve Saturday and Sunday instead, promising to block Friday for us. I did so and an hour later, I got confirmation that our stay and ski packages are ready. We shared table with Chuck for breakfast on our last day of stay and had a great conversation about different culture (I'm from China and my boyfriend from France). For me, nice facilities and tasty food would make a good B&B; but an innkeeper fun to talk to, unbiased, always asking good questions and giving comments with humor makes a good B&B a great one. If I ever go back to Hunter Mountain, will definitely stay here, for its warmth, its vicinity to the skiing place (4 mins drive), and also for a good talk with an interesting friend. Last but not the least, love that goat cheese + herb omelette Chuck made for breakfast! And big thanks for the hearty little cakes he prepared for our trip back!

Room Tip: Spring Valley is the only guestroom on the first floor. If you like to be close to the main faciliti...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and compliments. One of the best parts of being an innkeeper is meeting interesting people from around the world. You both qualified, had interesting perspectives and were a pleasure to host at the inn. I enjoyed the conversation about the differences in cultures in both of your countries and hope at some time to visit China. I have been to France but hope to visit many times in the future also.

Thanks also for the invitation to visit, if I am EVER in your area you can be sure to have contact from me as the best way to travel is to see the area from the eyes of a local resident. When in NY please visit again and again thanks for a great conversation and the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband and I just got back from a weekend at the Fairlawn Inn with another couple. We had a great weekend. The Inn was welcoming and very convenient to the mountain which was a plus! It is also convenient to great restaurants and country stores. Chuck, the innkeeper can provide you great dinner suggestions and can make reservations for you if you'd like.

We loved that Chuck had complimentary soda's, snacks, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cookies ALL THE TIME in the dining area and pool table room. That was great! The rooms and home are older and have that old BnB feel, but that is what you would expect and are looking for if you stay at this establishment. Even with that said, the innkeeper does a great job at keeping the inn's utilities and appliances updated and functional while still keeping the charm.

The breakfast was delicious. Made to order and wonderful every time. We had the goat cheese and herb omelet, eggs, and pancakes (blueberry and pumpkin). My favorite was the Pumpkin Walnut pancake...yum.

Chuck is a one man show and does a great job at it. We really respected the hard work and time that Chuck put in to making all guests stay enjoyable. The various awards such as the Green award and Inn of Distinction award are well deserved.

Thank you Chuck! See you again soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Opal room. Our friends stayed in Gazebo. We would recommend Gazebo, bright and airy...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Thanks Lauren for your upbeat commentary about your stay. Your party was a pleasure to have at the inn and we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
new york
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This is my favorite place to stay when visiting Hunter for any season! The house is a gorgeous Victorian with beautiful bedrooms that easily accommodated three people to a room (we did not ask for four). The public rooms are wonderfully decorated and full of interesting touches. The only room off limits is the kitchen and trust me, I would not want to mess with the "magic" that comes from out of there. Breakfasts were a true highlight of our stay. Large, tasty breakfasts that were served with such cheer I would never want to miss a meal. After a day on the slopes or during the summer of wandering, I was even allowed to invite a friend back to sit on the porch and continue our visit. It felt like staying with family. I am not a huge fan of many B and B's as they can be intrusive and rigid, but NOT this one. It is my favorite place to stay and I almost don't want to give this secret away but only for Chuck do I write this wonderful review.

Room Tip: I have not had a "bad' one yet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank beachrunner123
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed the inn and the "magic" that comes out of the kitchen. I enjoy cooking and like to produce a memorable breakfast for our esteemed guests. We hope you return often and again thanks.
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at Fairlawn Inn during my skiing trip to Hunter Mountain; I must say that I didn't expect it to be SO good!, The house itself is a beautiful restored Victorian mansion, and Chuck, the Innkeeper, did such a beautiful job with its interiors! Everything felt so welcoming, the living areas and the dinning room with its beautiful ferns close to the windows. The bedroom and bathroom were really comfortable with really good linens and plenty of pillows and seating space, and a very comfortable closet, dvd player and wi-fi, shampoo conditoner and soap dispenser. On top of it this is a 'Green' Inn where care is taken on the natural resources. I can't even describe how good the breakfast was, with homemade preserves and organic ingredients, and a menu to pick from hot dishes cooked at the moment by the Inn keeper!. This is really a chic place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Maria,
Thanks for the excellent review. You were a pleasure to have a the inn. We are just sorry you did not stay longer. I look forward to your return visit and best of luck as you continue to travel. We do our best to keep the inn and it's environment clean, green and hospitable. I take pleasure in cooking and your review represents that. Thank you again for the glowing report.
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The 1st thing we thought after leaving was "We miss Chuck!" (Inn Keeper at FairLawn). I cant express in words how WONDERFUL our stay at the FairLawn Inn was....the Inn is not only filled with charm & warm touches throughout, Chuck, makes certain you are attended for and have the best gourmet food in NY (all homemade by him :). From breakfast to lunch to the most creative dinners. All with such flavor. 5 star restaurants in the City have nothing on him ;) We stayed in the Rose Room and loved every part of our stay. It may have been 3 degrees outside, but we were so comfortable and cozy inside, there was no need to step outside. Great corporate retreat spot for a leadership team to plan, strategize & refresh!!! -Lily

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thanks Lily for the compliments. I love to cook and it was fun to cook for your group. I enjoyed every minute of your stay and hope you come back either individually or as a group. Innkeepers enjoy when the house is alive with guest enjoying themselves and that seemed to be the case with your group. Will stop by on my next visit to Florida as you all seem like family now. Hope the Chicken recipe works for you.
Chuck
Davie, Florida, United States
Reviewed 26 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fairlawn with our co-workers on a staff retreat. Chuck pretty much treated us like royalty with his amazing home-cooked meals and friendly conversation. Since we had the house to ourselves, it was very homey, inviting and cozy. We loved sitting by the fireplace for our meetings. Our room was enjoyable and perfect for just the two of us. Because it is an old house you can hear some creaks but we turned on some white noise using an app from the iPhone and got great sleep. Loved the views and location as well. Just can't say enough about how amazing the food was as well! Thanks Chuck!! --Jenn & Joel Collins, Oasis Church

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Jenn and Joel and the entire group were a pleasure to have at the inn. Their four day stay was a great time for the innkeeper. I cooked additional meals and it was great to see them enjoy them. Everyone was a pleasure to serve and we hope they return often. Thanks Jenn and Joel
Chuck
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Fairlawn is a a traditional bed and breakfast-- homey, eclectic, but older accommodations. Chuck provided wonderful service and a yummy breakfast. Great for a night's stay after a long day of skiing. Really the only reason I am giving the review a 4 versus a 5 is because you could hear everything. We stayed in the Opal room, which was large and had a great ambiance, but the noise was the only downside. It was not overly annoying, in fact it was nice when the music was on. However, I wanted to sleep in a bit and wasn't really able to.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thanks for the review about your experience at the Fairlawn. We hope you return often and apologize about the ambient noise. Older homes are not as insulated as newer ones and part of the "character" of the house. Your room being the old master bedroom is centrally located, above the dining room and therefore the music we turn on at breakfast. Each room is an individual experience and we hope on your return the next experience or chosen room will be better.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hunter Inn
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Xenia Resort
Xenia Resort
#4 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!