“A Catskill Gem”

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We enjoyed a wonderful 7-night stay at the Fairlawn Inn. Chuck was a charming and very knowledgeable host who readily offered advice on local area attractions and events and was a skilled chef preparing gourmet breakfasts. We stayed in the Gazebo Room, a delightfully light and airy room with a wonderfully comfortable bed and all the fitments needed for such a stay. Sitting outside on the porch watching the local wildlife was an ideal relaxing way to end the day. We would happily recommend anyone to stay at the Fairlawn. It is great value for money and offers a true experience of the Catskills region.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2008

The room was beautiful and the breakfast was great. Our only complaint was that Chuck, the owner, was kind of rude to us. When I made the reservation he sent us an email with several restaurant suggestions, and said "Let me know if I can make a reservation for you." I called him a couple of days later to ask if he can make a reservation at a restaurant for us, and he told me "Can you not call the restaurant yourself?" I'm not really sure why he said to ask him about making a reservation in the email, if he was going to tell me to call them myself.

Anyway, I had told Chuck that we would be arriving late, so he gave us instructions for a late check-in. When we got there he happened to still be up so he checked us in. He told us we were lucky he was still up. To be honest, given my prior experience with him over the phone I would have preferred to check ourselves in. The next day he blamed us for leaving the door to the inn open after we came in, although we think it was probably another guy who came in after us.

The other guy working at the B&B, whose name was Mike I think, was actually really nice to us. But I would hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2008

Dear Trip Advisor devotees, as the owner of the inn in question I am concerned about this review on a variety of levels, if it was indeed posted by a guest that stayed here. If you look at ALL the other reviews you can see it does not reflect my normal everyday approach to guest services. I also wonder why the guest, who indicated that they stayed here in October of 2007 waited for 8 months to post their review. I do not think I would remember a stay from 8 months ago, nor would I post a review at that late date.

I have on occasion asked a guest to call the restaurant in question personally because it was very close to the reservation day and in the past found the restaurant booked as we went through the process of securing a reservation by trading emails and voice mails. Having them call personally allows them to commit to a different time if their first choice or two is not available.

I also take my guests security very personally and like to insure that all doors are kept closed and locked at all times. ALL guests after check in, have keys to the entrance door and their room so when they leave doors open I close them and would rather be inconvenienced letting a guest in if their spouse has the key, than to risk any security issue. If it was late as they indicated I would be more concerned as I would be going to bed soon and not there to monitor the door.

I value all of the guests that stay with me and if I indeed was rude I apologize, it certainly is not my normal approach to guests at my inn as all of the other reviews indicate.

Reviewed 4 July 2007

Loved the Fairlawn Inn! Chuck was a wonderful host, gave us recommendations on tourist attractions and a restaurant. Great B&B, antique furnishings and paintings. Chuck cooked a fabulous breakfast with a terrific presentation. Would definitely recommend and we hope to return some day!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2007

We traveled to this area with my elderly aunt. I wanted a place that had a first floor room for her - and this fit the bill -- with much much more. The breakfasts were wonderful, better than any restaurant. Chuck is a great chef and host. Our rooms were beautiful to look at and very comfortable. The whole exterior had just been painted prior to our arrival. It is now gold, with wonderful maroon accents in the victorian style.

And Chuck was installing comfortable rattan, cushioned furniture on both levels of the porch.-So lazing with a good book, and a glass of wine, with his beautiful piped in music, and a view of Hunter mountain made us realize that is doesn't get much better! We had a special treat one evening when Chuck gave us a tour of his eclectic art and glassware collection that is displayed all over this house.

There were still a couple patches of snow on the mountain on Memorial Day weekend. One evening we saw three beautiful deer wander into the side yard of this B & B.

It was nice after a day of signtseeing in the area to be able to stop in his public rooms and grab a complimentary cold drink and a salty snack from the guest "bar" area.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2007

My girlfriend and I used this as a base for three days skiing, sandwiched between 10 days in NYC. It was a great little get-away, just what we needed after the busyness of NY at Christmas.

Chuck, the owner, was extremely friendly and accommodating - giving us a guided tour on arrival and pointing out all the best places to visit in the town and neighboring towns. We stayed in the Rose room, which was comfortable, reasonably large with rose themed decor everywhere.

Like the other reviews have mentioned, the breakfasts in the fairlawn are amazing. We went for the pancakes and arm maple syrup all three mornings, which were more than enough - add on the fruit, muffin, juice, complimentary cookies, drinks and snacks and you won't go hungry.

Overall I was really happy with my stay at the Fairlawn. Anyone after a quaint place, with a great host can't go far wrong here.

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank Porkpie123
Reviewed 8 January 2007

Four of us travelled from the UK to Hunter to go skiing for a few days before heading to New York for New Years Eve. Chuck the owner was fantastic, he had loads of useful information to help us with our stay and even organised our lift passes, booked restaurants and made us feel really welcome (he even gave us a list of places to check out for our stay in New York afterwards). The rooms were really unique, we had a fire in our room and the beds were fantastic - really comfortable with lots of cushions! The breakfasts were very tasty - you had a great choice of the omelettes, eggs etc but i would definitely suggest going for the croissant french toast with cream cheese and fruit compote if its on the menu when you stay !. There were also public rooms with tv (there is also tv in the room), a well stocked games room and a well stocked soft drinks bar complete with snacks and of course the cookie jar - always handy after a trip on the slopes. The local bars and restaurants provided a good range of options and they were all really friendly. To top it all the barber in the town serves Jack Daniels with your hair cut - now thats a tradition my husband would like to bring home ! Overall our stay in Hunter was really enjoyable and i would definitely recommend this inn for anyone looking for friendly and high quality accomodation in the area.

Reviewed 19 January 2005

My husband and I just got back from a weekend at the Fairview Inn and it was wonderful. The house is huge and beautifully decorated. We arrived to a courteous girl checking us in and showing us around the house. We stayed in the Rose room and it was a nice size with a Queen bed with a shower bathroom. They have other rooms with clawfoot tubs that I really wanted instead, but we booked too late. The room was quaint, spotless, and there was even bottled water waiting for us. They also had a ton of magazines and local brochures in the room to peruse. We met the owner Chuck and he was very friendly and helped us pick out a place to have dinner. Breakfast the next day was delicious!! I had the goat cheese and herb omelette and my husband had the pancakes, both were out of this world! The inn is located in the center of Hunter and almost right across the street from the ski slope entrance. Windham is about 8 miles away and Tannersville is about 4. After puttering around town for the day, we returned to inn to warm up with the tea/coffee/hot chocolate that was always available in the dining room. There was also a full stocked fridge in other room with sodas, seltzers, and water. A basket full of snacks was always on the bar, and there was even a full cookie jar! The next morning's breakfast consisted of a French toast soufflé and a potato onion gratin. Of course if you didn't want this you could have regular eggs, an omlette, pancakes, etc... To top things off, as we were getting ready to check out my husband went out to warm up the car and came back in to tell me it had snowed over night and Chuck had cleaned off our car. How nice is that?? We had a wonderful relaxing weekend at the Fairlawn Inn and would stay there again the next time we are in Hunter.

• Stayed: January 2005
17  Thank nubbypuppy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Albergo Allegria
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Beds On Clouds Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!