All reviewsgazebo roomfire pitb bshunter mountainpool tablegourmet breakfastpancakesfresh fruitfrench toastbeautiful antiquesomeletthoroughly enjoyed our stayold friendsevery guestrave reviewsthe main housemy boyfriend
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I made a resevation by phone I was quoted one rate, then when my email conformation came it was higher than the quoted rate.I sent an email to ask if this was a typo,then I got an email right back saying I dont have a booked room because hes waiting on last years customers to get back to him.Not a good way to make new customers! When I book I expect a room! Not oh I dont know yet.If this how the service of how this B&B is run, Im sure I dont want to saty there!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

First of all I apologized for the mistake and communicated with her almost immediately. In reference to the rate, I quoted a range of rates for this guest and the room I thought was available was more expensive than the least expensive room. In my conversation with this prospective guest, I indicated that the difference in rate was minimal and I would honor that rate regardless of the room that was available. I was trying to accommodate her and get her what she wanted, which was a three night stay.

Last year’s guest attended the Taste of Country Festival and had re-booked that room prior to leaving but there was a question about what days they were staying and if they were staying at all. The festival in question changed their start date so I wanted to insure they got what they wanted. A courtesy that anyone would expect as a returning guest and what I thought was a good thing.

The guest that posted this review was interested in a three night stay which I can now accommodate as the guest got back to me and said they could not come. So ultimately she would have been accommodated had she been a little more patient. We do not often make mistakes on reservations, it was caught in minutes but due to the lateness of the hour I waited to communicate with her the next morning. I thought I had a pleasant conversation with this reviewer and clarified that I could possibly accommodate her request for three nights. Since posting this review and indicating she did not want to stay here we have added the room to
inventory.

Again, we do not often make mistakes about reservations, maybe two in eleven years. We communicated with her almost immediately about the issue and ultimately could have accommodated her request for the three day stay.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My girlfriend made a reservation for us for a special event. We first felt unwelcome when we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room, by pushing the button on the inside of the room (Which there's a tiny 3x3 piece of paper that tells you, but unless you read all of the little notes you wouldn't know) It was 10 pm and Chuck acted like we woke him up from a deep slumber and was rude.
Secondly, the breakfast was ridiculous. I asked for an accommodation with the omelette in the morning and was completely embarrassed by Chuck in front of my girlfriend and other guests, he said, "Sir....(with rolling eyes) please select what's on the menu, PLEASE" When I finally got my omelette, it wasn't cooked all the way and at that point, I lost my appetite.
Thirdly, it was freezing all night. The heat never came on.
Fourthly, the sheets/pillowcases smelled musty and old.

When my girlfriend made all of these points known to Chuck, he replied with a "I checked the sheets today and they don't smell, and also we have to cater the heat to all the patrons." MY experience has been, when a customer complains, you don't educate them in a rude manner, you FIX the problem without hesitation.
He concluded with saying, "oh by the way I didn't charge you for the champagne" which my girlfriend had ordered for us upon our arrival in the room. We didn't ask for something for free, just what we're supposed to get.

Long story short, I don't write reviews but when I feel that something wasn't worth the money or reviews I had to comment. Because we were so unhappy, we just left without staying for the second night even though we paid for it. If you're going to spend money and stay at a B&B you need to feel like it's your home not like that annoying guest you wish didn't overstay their welcome.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jezzlyn A
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Wow… everything this guest represented happened, just in my estimation in a different way. I was woken up by the guest when they locked themselves out and was not rude just half asleep.

We offer a large variety on the menu for breakfast and in an effort to get all guests served properly we do ask that the guest keep as close to the menu as possible. I did not roll my eyes in passing but did ask for him to choose what was on the menu. Most B&B's offer a continental breakfast. We offer a full cooked to order menu with many options, fresh fruit, something freshly baked, eggs along with breakfast meats, toast, additionally three omelet choices and either pancakes, french toast or waffles.

As soon as I received the text from the guest that there was an issue with the pillows or pillow cases both were replaced and I then texted that they had been replaced. I indicated that I had also adjusted the thermostat. I did not find the pillows musty, they are not old but they were replaced as they requested.

We keep the thermostats at a universally acceptable 68-70 degrees and adjusted it when they requested it. . Several rooms share the thermostat in their room and my comment was to indicate that they were shared thermostats, not to educate them. We have to be concerned about every guests comfort and what is too warm for some guests is too cold for others.

I offered to comp the champagne in an effort to compensate them for the inconvenience they faced during their stay. What this guest did not mention was that though they ordered champagne, they got champagne, an assortment of cheeses, crackers, olives and chocolate truffles. Much more than they requested. We did this to exceed their expectation.

I communicated with his girlfriend throughout their stay and did my best to accommodate them. Apparently we failed miserably. She did indicate that this was a present to him and I am sorry it was lacking in his or her estimation. I was out running errands when they left and they indicated they left because of inclement weather. I called to tell them I had received the keys and then also had more emails after that with this guest’s girlfriend.

I immediately went and cleaned the room to see if it could be re-booked but due to the lateness of their checkout did not rebook it. I had turned business away throughout the day previous to that – addressed each of their concerns and felt we did what we could. We would be happy to reimburse them for their last night if that would make it better for them as they did not stay the second night.

I apologized profusely to her and ended the conversations thinking we had left it all on good terms. We think we offer quality accommodations, in a clean and friendly environment all at a reasonable cost.

We apologize to this guest as we did not meet his expectations. I also will apologize again to his girlfriend who offered our place as a present to him and he was disappointed. Normally we do all we can do to exceed their expectations but again, did not in this case and we do apologize. I think a large majority of reviews reflect that we do a great job on all accounts and would ask that you read further reviews that were posted by well satisfied guests.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

1) My biggest complaint - unacceptably low temperatures in the room. You can't regulate the heating yourself, there is one common thermostat for a couple of rooms which turns the heating on and off intermittently, and is supposed to maintain the temperature at 68 F. However, this system doesn't work properly, and when the radiator is turned off the temperature goes really really low before the heating kicks on again. And sometimes it never turns on, and you have to go and ask the owner to fix it. The windows and the door are not properly insulated, so you have to face a draft of freeazing air. I had to wear thermal innerwear and two sweaters while inside the room. On top of that, when it was -10 F outside, the heating in our room went completely dead and we woke up absolutely freezing in the middle of the night. The owner did move us to another room and refunded that night's price, but by that time both me and my mother already had a cold. If you do decide to stay at the Inn during cold weather for lack of other alternatives, choose a room with a fireplace.
2) The first room we were assigned was not properly cleaned - a plastic cup and a cork on the floor, the carpet looked so dirty that I had an urge to ask the owner for a vacuum cleaner to vacuum it myself. The bathroom appliances were in a similar condition.
3) Rude and arrogant owner. Apparently, Chuck can be very nice when he chooses to, and at the end he tried to make amends and even offered us some complimentary sweets and cookies, but during the first two days, he treated us in a most unwelcoming and offensive manner. I've been travelling to different parts of the world and around America, but it's the first time I've experienced such outright rudeness.

Room Tip: In cold weather, choose a room with a fireplace.
Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank VictoriaAndr
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

I understand this guest was unhappy with her stay and fully expected her review. We did everything we could do to make amends and accommodate her at every turn. The inn is 110 years old and though remodeled and updated still has challenges to keep heated when it is -20 degrees.

I called my repair service and they responded in hours. They checked the systems and said it was doing the best it could under the circumstances. This guest was relocated three times in three days. She wanted me to move furniture – how that would warm the room I did not understand. She indicated the room was cold at 9pm but waited until 2am to wake me to let me know she was uncomfortable. When I went into the room it was approximately 60 degrees. That is colder than normal but again the systems were doing all they could do.

This guest was rude to me and demanding all throughout her stay. She was more interested in being “right” than warm. She was argumentative in front of other guests and at all times I remained professional. We did everything I could to accommodate her, reimbursed a night’s stay, put treats in the room and again moved her three times, finally to a room with a fireplace to insure she was ultimately accommodated.

A Victorian home of this age did its best under abnormally cold weather. We have double glazed windows and doors in all cases so we are doing our best to keep temperatures normalized. All other guests that weekend were happy, took the additional cold in stride and enjoyed their stay. I received no other complaints. When the sun rose outside, all rooms went back to the appropriate temperature on the thermostats and that was normally by 9am.

I do not think I could do anything to appease this guest. In my many conversations with her, that were always polite, I indicated she might consider a more modern facility in the future as my normally cozy inn was under the stress of temperatures as low as -20 degrees. Her original reservation was for two nights and she requested to stay a third. Why would you stay in a place for an additional night if it were dirty, cold and unappealing? In reference to her concerns of a dirty floor I immediately went to each of the rooms she was in and did not find what she indicated. The first room was recently shampooed prior to her arrival and we normally keep up with any stained carpets as they appear. It is winter and with sand, salt and with keeping all the walking areas safe for guests it can be challenging. The other two rooms have hardwood floors with antique Persian carpets of incredible quality and had no stains also.

We are sorry this guest was unhappy with her stay at the Fairlawn. We bend over backwards for guests but on occasion they may have had unrealistic expectations when weather is inclement. I think that was the case with this guest. I think a vast majority of other reviews indicate my level of helpfulness and a general feeling that I go above and beyond in almost every case. We are human and though normally we bend over backwards in this case it was a challenge. Obviously we did not meet this challenge in the guest’s eyes and for that we apologize though we did try many times.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I found this place via Tripadvisor and knew that I could not go wrong from the reviews that were published here.

Chuck: big thanks, you made our stay great and if all establishments were run like you run your place then this really would be a better world to live in. I can 100% say that we will be travelling back to Fairlawn Inn in the future before Chuck retires to travel the world.

The Inn itself is beautiful and homely and the rooms are fantastic. We had a beautiful clawed roll top bath in out room that we made great use of after skiing.

We visited over Christmas day and Chuck made all our reservations for us during our stay and for that we are greatly thankful.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Exceptional is a wonderful word and we are glad this couple used it to describe their stay. This couple was from across the pond, they were engaging and a pleasure to have at the Fairlawn. We look forward to their return and thank them for the positive feedback about their stay and about me personally.

Innkeepers respond in kind and appreciated their interactions, time in conversation and most of all appreciated that they indicated we exceeded their expectation. That is our normal goal and we are glad we achieved it with these guests.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Fantastic Inn!
Chuck does a great job making sure you enjoy yourself, and willingly helps with any thing you need.
Rooms are very comfortable.
On days with bad weather - you can feel at home and have enough to do in the Inn.
Chuk - excellent!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Tal and his son stayed with us for several days and skiied. They were engaging and nice to have around the inn during their visit. We appreciatethis feedback and glad that they enjoyed their time at the Inn and at the Ski Resort. We look forward to their return and hope it is soon.