“Cozy elegance-a lovely B&B experience!”
Review of Fairlawn Inn

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I got married at my mother-in-law's country house in the area last weekend, and we stayed at the Fairlawn until Monday morning. From the planning to the set-up, we were doing everything ourselves, and more than anything, we were hoping for a relaxing B&B experience that would provide a nice break from all of the chaos. I'm happy to say that the Fairlawn Inn provided that, and so much more. Chuck the innkeeper gave us a warm welcome upon our arrival, and went out of his way to make us feel at home during our stay (the lovely bottle of wine he left for us in our room was a welcome and appreciated surprise!). Our room itself, the Gazebo Room, was beautifully appointed-cozy, immaculate, and elegant, and full of light, thanks to the many windows. The claw-foot bathtub in the bathroom was lovely, and the shower itself was quite invigorating. Though we were only able to enjoy one breakfast, it was delicious and comforting. Chuck was also kind enough to provide extra coffee when we wound up making friends with another couple during breakfast (who turned out to be from our neighborhood, Astoria, Queens) and stayed awhile to chat. Chuck, thanks so much for making our stay very special and very relaxing. It was exactly what we needed! We look forward to returning to the Fairlawn again in the future, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a comfortable and relaxing B&B experience in the Hunter Mountain area. The Fairlawn is top notch!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

We enjoyed having this couple at the inn. Thanks for the compliments, we are glad we provided a nice respite from the activities you coordinated for the wedding and hope you return often. Congratulations again.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here over a long weekend in February. This was our first time at this Inn. We have been to Hunter many times and have stayed at a variety of places in the area. The price of the hotel is very reasonable considering its close proximity to Hunter Mountain which was a huge plus. The check in/check out policies were very easy. The Inn is meticulously maintained. If you are looking for a cookie cutter hotel this is not the place for you. Our room was on the second floor and featured a queen bed as well as a day bed. The bed was very comfortable. The furnishings were very nice and the room was very clean. While the controls for the heating in the room were locked so guests are unable to change the temperature, our room was plenty warm. The bathroom was nicely outfitted with a claw foot tub and overhead shower. The tub was nice touch after a long day of skiing. The only problem was that after I was done in the tub, there was no hot water for the shower. I waited about 15 minutes and the water was still cold. We did not have time to wait because we had a dinner reservation. However, in the morning we did not have hot water again. We were checking out so I decided to wait until I got home to shower. After we were done packing to leave about 15 minutes later, I tried the hot water again and it was working. This is really my only complaint about the place is that the hot water was a bit unreliable. We did not report the issue with the hot water to the manager as we were only there for one night and decided to make due. Another thing to note, and while it did not bother me, you can hear everything that your neighbors are doing. I could hear the showering and flushing of the toilet as if it were in my own room. This is an older property so while it was not surprising, it is worth mentioning. I was disappointed that we were not able to stay for the breakfast as there was a good variety of homemade food on the menu and the dining area was truly beautiful. It would be really nice if the hotel offered dinner and drinks in addition to breakfast. We would definitely consider this property for our next trip to Hunter.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thanks for the nice review. The inn is an historic home and some of the rooms are not as well insulated between walls as others so it is possible to hear noises from other rooms. We apologize for that but would be tearing down 110 year old wainscoted walls and period wallpapers to sound insulate between rooms.

We have had a cold winter with record setting and unreasonably cold weather. In the coldest weather the heating system that heats the rooms in addition to the hot water can be somewhat challenged. This is especially true on the few extremely cold days when guests return from skiing and shower all at the same time. Fortunately it rebounds quickly but on rare occasions it is a little challenged.

Again, thanks for your kind words and when you return the hot water should not be an issue as it is not the norm at our inn.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Chuck at the Fairlawn could not have been more attentive and thoughtful during my visit. Everything was tailored to our needs. Food and drinks delicious. Top marks on the shower pressure and I loved all the luxurious furnishings and carpets. Wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy another delicious breakfast!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Rebecca,

Thanks for the great review. We are glad you enjoyed the hospitality of the inn and look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Fairlawn with a colleague while attending business nearby. It was bitterly cold yet the Inn (and our room) was warm and cozy, and everything was presented perfectly. Chuck was the perfect host, willing to share his evening with us telling stories and filling us in on the history of the Inn. It was very evident he takes pride in his Inn and goes above and beyond - from the email confirmation of our reservation (including recommendations of a place to have dinner during our stay) to the warm send off the next morning.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I will recommend the Fairlawn to anyone I know.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate your compliments and also enjoyed the conversations. We hope to see you soon and look forward to seeing some of your friends also.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I made a resevation by phone I was quoted one rate, then when my email conformation came it was higher than the quoted rate.I sent an email to ask if this was a typo,then I got an email right back saying I dont have a booked room because hes waiting on last years customers to get back to him.Not a good way to make new customers! When I book I expect a room! Not oh I dont know yet.If this how the service of how this B&B is run, Im sure I dont want to saty there!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

First of all I apologized for the mistake and communicated with her almost immediately. In reference to the rate, I quoted a range of rates for this guest and the room I thought was available was more expensive than the least expensive room. In my conversation with this prospective guest, I indicated that the difference in rate was minimal and I would honor that rate regardless of the room that was available. I was trying to accommodate her and get her what she wanted, which was a three night stay.

Last year’s guest attended the Taste of Country Festival and had re-booked that room prior to leaving but there was a question about what days they were staying and if they were staying at all. The festival in question changed their start date so I wanted to insure they got what they wanted. A courtesy that anyone would expect as a returning guest and what I thought was a good thing.

The guest that posted this review was interested in a three night stay which I can now accommodate as the guest got back to me and said they could not come. So ultimately she would have been accommodated had she been a little more patient. We do not often make mistakes on reservations, it was caught in minutes but due to the lateness of the hour I waited to communicate with her the next morning. I thought I had a pleasant conversation with this reviewer and clarified that I could possibly accommodate her request for three nights. Since posting this review and indicating she did not want to stay here we have added the room to
inventory.

Again, we do not often make mistakes about reservations, maybe two in eleven years. We communicated with her almost immediately about the issue and ultimately could have accommodated her request for the three day stay.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My girlfriend made a reservation for us for a special event. We first felt unwelcome when we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room, by pushing the button on the inside of the room (Which there's a tiny 3x3 piece of paper that tells you, but unless you read all of the little notes you wouldn't know) It was 10 pm and Chuck acted like we woke him up from a deep slumber and was rude.
Secondly, the breakfast was ridiculous. I asked for an accommodation with the omelette in the morning and was completely embarrassed by Chuck in front of my girlfriend and other guests, he said, "Sir....(with rolling eyes) please select what's on the menu, PLEASE" When I finally got my omelette, it wasn't cooked all the way and at that point, I lost my appetite.
Thirdly, it was freezing all night. The heat never came on.
Fourthly, the sheets/pillowcases smelled musty and old.

When my girlfriend made all of these points known to Chuck, he replied with a "I checked the sheets today and they don't smell, and also we have to cater the heat to all the patrons." MY experience has been, when a customer complains, you don't educate them in a rude manner, you FIX the problem without hesitation.
He concluded with saying, "oh by the way I didn't charge you for the champagne" which my girlfriend had ordered for us upon our arrival in the room. We didn't ask for something for free, just what we're supposed to get.

Long story short, I don't write reviews but when I feel that something wasn't worth the money or reviews I had to comment. Because we were so unhappy, we just left without staying for the second night even though we paid for it. If you're going to spend money and stay at a B&B you need to feel like it's your home not like that annoying guest you wish didn't overstay their welcome.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jezzlyn A
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Wow… everything this guest represented happened, just in my estimation in a different way. I was woken up by the guest when they locked themselves out and was not rude just half asleep.

We offer a large variety on the menu for breakfast and in an effort to get all guests served properly we do ask that the guest keep as close to the menu as possible. I did not roll my eyes in passing but did ask for him to choose what was on the menu. Most B&B's offer a continental breakfast. We offer a full cooked to order menu with many options, fresh fruit, something freshly baked, eggs along with breakfast meats, toast, additionally three omelet choices and either pancakes, french toast or waffles.

As soon as I received the text from the guest that there was an issue with the pillows or pillow cases both were replaced and I then texted that they had been replaced. I indicated that I had also adjusted the thermostat. I did not find the pillows musty, they are not old but they were replaced as they requested.

We keep the thermostats at a universally acceptable 68-70 degrees and adjusted it when they requested it. . Several rooms share the thermostat in their room and my comment was to indicate that they were shared thermostats, not to educate them. We have to be concerned about every guests comfort and what is too warm for some guests is too cold for others.

I offered to comp the champagne in an effort to compensate them for the inconvenience they faced during their stay. What this guest did not mention was that though they ordered champagne, they got champagne, an assortment of cheeses, crackers, olives and chocolate truffles. Much more than they requested. We did this to exceed their expectation.

I communicated with his girlfriend throughout their stay and did my best to accommodate them. Apparently we failed miserably. She did indicate that this was a present to him and I am sorry it was lacking in his or her estimation. I was out running errands when they left and they indicated they left because of inclement weather. I called to tell them I had received the keys and then also had more emails after that with this guest’s girlfriend.

I immediately went and cleaned the room to see if it could be re-booked but due to the lateness of their checkout did not rebook it. I had turned business away throughout the day previous to that – addressed each of their concerns and felt we did what we could. We would be happy to reimburse them for their last night if that would make it better for them as they did not stay the second night.

I apologized profusely to her and ended the conversations thinking we had left it all on good terms. We think we offer quality accommodations, in a clean and friendly environment all at a reasonable cost.

We apologize to this guest as we did not meet his expectations. I also will apologize again to his girlfriend who offered our place as a present to him and he was disappointed. Normally we do all we can do to exceed their expectations but again, did not in this case and we do apologize. I think a large majority of reviews reflect that we do a great job on all accounts and would ask that you read further reviews that were posted by well satisfied guests.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

1) My biggest complaint - unacceptably low temperatures in the room. You can't regulate the heating yourself, there is one common thermostat for a couple of rooms which turns the heating on and off intermittently, and is supposed to maintain the temperature at 68 F. However, this system doesn't work properly, and when the radiator is turned off the temperature goes really really low before the heating kicks on again. And sometimes it never turns on, and you have to go and ask the owner to fix it. The windows and the door are not properly insulated, so you have to face a draft of freeazing air. I had to wear thermal innerwear and two sweaters while inside the room. On top of that, when it was -10 F outside, the heating in our room went completely dead and we woke up absolutely freezing in the middle of the night. The owner did move us to another room and refunded that night's price, but by that time both me and my mother already had a cold. If you do decide to stay at the Inn during cold weather for lack of other alternatives, choose a room with a fireplace.
2) The first room we were assigned was not properly cleaned - a plastic cup and a cork on the floor, the carpet looked so dirty that I had an urge to ask the owner for a vacuum cleaner to vacuum it myself. The bathroom appliances were in a similar condition.
3) Rude and arrogant owner. Apparently, Chuck can be very nice when he chooses to, and at the end he tried to make amends and even offered us some complimentary sweets and cookies, but during the first two days, he treated us in a most unwelcoming and offensive manner. I've been travelling to different parts of the world and around America, but it's the first time I've experienced such outright rudeness.

Room Tip: In cold weather, choose a room with a fireplace.
Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank VictoriaAndr
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

I understand this guest was unhappy with her stay and fully expected her review. We did everything we could do to make amends and accommodate her at every turn. The inn is 110 years old and though remodeled and updated still has challenges to keep heated when it is -20 degrees.

I called my repair service and they responded in hours. They checked the systems and said it was doing the best it could under the circumstances. This guest was relocated three times in three days. She wanted me to move furniture – how that would warm the room I did not understand. She indicated the room was cold at 9pm but waited until 2am to wake me to let me know she was uncomfortable. When I went into the room it was approximately 60 degrees. That is colder than normal but again the systems were doing all they could do.

This guest was rude to me and demanding all throughout her stay. She was more interested in being “right” than warm. She was argumentative in front of other guests and at all times I remained professional. We did everything I could to accommodate her, reimbursed a night’s stay, put treats in the room and again moved her three times, finally to a room with a fireplace to insure she was ultimately accommodated.

A Victorian home of this age did its best under abnormally cold weather. We have double glazed windows and doors in all cases so we are doing our best to keep temperatures normalized. All other guests that weekend were happy, took the additional cold in stride and enjoyed their stay. I received no other complaints. When the sun rose outside, all rooms went back to the appropriate temperature on the thermostats and that was normally by 9am.

I do not think I could do anything to appease this guest. In my many conversations with her, that were always polite, I indicated she might consider a more modern facility in the future as my normally cozy inn was under the stress of temperatures as low as -20 degrees. Her original reservation was for two nights and she requested to stay a third. Why would you stay in a place for an additional night if it were dirty, cold and unappealing? In reference to her concerns of a dirty floor I immediately went to each of the rooms she was in and did not find what she indicated. The first room was recently shampooed prior to her arrival and we normally keep up with any stained carpets as they appear. It is winter and with sand, salt and with keeping all the walking areas safe for guests it can be challenging. The other two rooms have hardwood floors with antique Persian carpets of incredible quality and had no stains also.

We are sorry this guest was unhappy with her stay at the Fairlawn. We bend over backwards for guests but on occasion they may have had unrealistic expectations when weather is inclement. I think that was the case with this guest. I think a vast majority of other reviews indicate my level of helpfulness and a general feeling that I go above and beyond in almost every case. We are human and though normally we bend over backwards in this case it was a challenge. Obviously we did not meet this challenge in the guest’s eyes and for that we apologize though we did try many times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Mountain Brook
Mountain Brook
#2 of 5 in Tannersville

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!