“Roll of the Dice: Never Again”
Review of Fairlawn Inn

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 June 2010

One might have a better stay almost any place else (we went as the Fairlawn Inn was listed as pet-friendly). On this partially sold-out weekend (the second night of our stay was sold out) it seemed the owner, Chuck, was attempting to keep our money by finding a reason to get rid of us and let the nicely appointed room to another party. Fellow guests told us that he assured them he would kick us out if there were ANY complaints. The guests shared this with us willingly as they encountered nothing that would warrant this kind of threat to a fellow guest from a host. Counter to some friendly offers on our arrival the well-spoken host seemed to be intermittently replaced by a caustic brute. I was reminded numerous times about the policies re: dogs. The ‘reminding’ was often in a manner which was harsh in dealing with anybody, much less paying guests who haven’t broken any rules and were there to relax. We were as responsible as possible and the dogs not only didn’t bother fellow guests but a number of them noted how very well-behaved the dogs were. While Chuck was present a rather large dog, roaming freely, who (known by him as friendly) engaged our dogs. Next day the same dog was barking away in a truck with the back open parked all day in the Inn’s driveway. I believe, unlike ours, this dog was not there with paying guests, but with people working the Inn's yard sale. Another time we were relaxing outdoors after breakfast hour with a friend who was staying down the street, to whom Chuck kindly and generously offered the Inn’s gourmet breakfast; we were then mystified when he then came up and harassed us re: the dogs (who were extremely well-behaved until he came up). During the very tasty breakfast we left the dogs contained in the room—I was going to stay with them outside while my wife and friend dined, but Chuck wanted us to dine together. It was noted that at that time there were no guests on either side of our room. We had let him know earlier our dogs bark for a few minutes if left on their own, but our schedule had no time when they would be without at least one of us. I asked if we could breakfast outside (with our dogs). He noted breakfast was only served in the dining room (no dogs allowed, understandably). We enjoyed the breakfast very much. Too bad the enjoyment was destroyed completely by the charge at us all (including our friend). The next day we went out to Tannersville for a delightful truly dog-friendly breakfast. In the end for a room that came out over $200/night (regardless of toilet to be swapped out on the landing outside the room, broken banister, steps needing repair, thin walls, etc.) others may have a more civil experience. If we were staying longer than these two nights we would have gone elsewhere. So Chuck has mood swings and switches from hospitable to antagonistic. During our stay Chuck also kept mentioning the possibility of a negative review because of our dogs. It is not our dogs’ behavior that brings this review, but that of the Inn’s owner. Of our stays at B&Bs in the USA, Europe and Asia our two days at the Fairlawn Inn became our worst experience (in fact the only truly negative experience we've ever had at a B&B). I'm sure the awards listed by the owner are well-earned; an award-winning stay wasn't, however, our experience. As a brief additional note: at check out we were invited back by Chuck, and he offered a very positive comment on how perfect the dogs were that night--we're thankful for the invitation and review, but it's not likely.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DacDad

Reviewed 25 May 2010

This B&B is really cute and looked exactly like we would hope and expect a ski area B&B to look. Yes, it is a little old, but quaint, and if you want a modern, new fancy place to stay, a B&B is not for you in general. It is close to the slopes, and the breakfast is decent (I'd say a 7 out of 10). Now, with that being said, Chuck the manager/owner is the worst host a B&B could have. He is ridiculously rude, unhelpful and unaccomodating. We cannot believe this place has not gone out of business as a result of his attitude. Do not ask him to accomodate any requests (even if they involve the simplest of things), he will make you feel like you are asking him to donate a pint of blood to you. Be ready to hear him complain about all the work he has done to get ready for you and how tired he is, but also be ready to hear him brag about himself incessantly. He really made us feel like we were walking on eggshells the entire time we were there. Somehow he has forgotten that he is in the service industry and is being paid for the B&B services. We have endless stories from our two night stay about Chuck's rudeness, however, if I can leave readers with one story to sum up this guy, here it is: One of the ladies in our group was not skiing on the second morning. Chuck overheard a conversation and OFFERED to let her hang out at the B&B for the day, even though we had all checked out. We were shocked because it was so out of character for him to be nice! About an hour later, she was reading in the common room, he blatantly tells her "You know what, I'd actually prefer it if you left." She asks him if he knows of a coffee shop or somewhere she can go hang out. He tells her "there is a gas station down the street." Apparently directions to town were too much for him to handle because he was so tired from being nasty all weekend.
I am sure this man will respond to this review with all sorts of excuses why everything wrong is his guests' faults and not his. I am confident that it is actually him (or his friends/family) who posts the good reviews about the service in this place. The other guests that were at the Fairlawn the weekend we stayed were congregating outside with us to discuss our mutual distaste for Chuck's attitude and how uncomfortable he made us feel. I plan on reporting him to the Better Business Bureau as well. And, if you ask why it took so long to write this since I stayed there . . . well because I am finally able to describe it without inappropriate language. The best part about this B&B is that my friends and I will be making jokes for years to come about Chuck and most likely his soon-to-come laughable excuses and insults to us based on this very review. Stay away, trust me.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank travelesq6
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I had a few moments spare and thought that I would look up the reviews of this B and B tthat we stayed in last year. It is s striking building and loks very picturesque but the rooms are very dark and there is nowhere to hang your clothes and neither shelves to put your bits and pieces on. The notices in the bathroom about not letting any water on the floor made me very nervous !! We asked to change rooms to an end room so that at least we would only have one occupancy to listen to through the paper -thin walls......Chuck was not at all pleased with this request and made his displeasure known. !!! We have stayed in many Band B in America and this was not our favourite !!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jewalNwales
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

I continue to be puzzled by reviews that are posted a year after the guest indicates they stayed here. The restored bed and breakfast is an older home and sound does carry, most guests come for the charm and elegance of the inn. Since so much time has passed it is difficult to address the issues alleged by the guest but I do have a notice that I place on the bed that have clawfoot tubs in the bathrooms on the second floor. Those rooms are either above expensively wallpapered ceilings or above other bedrooms. When a guest does not tuck the shower curtain in completely around the tub the leakage does many hundreds of dollars of damage, therefore the notice. All the plumbing has been checked each time the ceilings have been opened and repaired and the only leaks doing the damage are caused by careless guests. I do my best to place guests in rooms when I am not full with rooms between them, but some guests want the rooms they requested. I am sorry the guest did not have the optimal experience on their visit but you can see that a vast majority of guests enjoy the house, the surrounding gardens, a full cooked to order breakfast, porches and the hospitality of the host.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

What a gorgeous B&B, filled with attractive art and antiques and the best cooked-to-order eggs and omelettes for breakfast. The innkeeper is extremely knowledgable about all of the local sites and restaurants and gave excellent advice. The room was large, clean and filled with light. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dlb16
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My wife and I had never stayed at a B & B before and were pleasantly surprised by the experience. The building is over 100 years old but the room was in excellent condition and the bed quite comfortable. Chuck, the owner and manager, gave us some good recommendations for dinner and his own breakfast menu was more extensive than expected. There's even a pool table downstairs. The one request he makes is that you give him an approximate arrival time and call him if you will be early or delayed - he owns an antique store in the area and has to leave the inn from time to time.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Old but very nice BB .
Only downside is you can hear the guest in next room cos the walls are wooden.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Fairlawn Inn is a fabulous gem run by an impeccable gentleman (Chuck) who also makes a gourmet breakfast, just 2.5 hours from NYC. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, and the house has abundant lounging areas and a large airy dining room all decorated with antiques and eye candy art. This was my first time skiing in the Northeast so I wasn't sure what to expect. Thursday Ladies Day ski pass comes with free skiis, boots, helmet, lunch and lesson at $44, The B&B location can not be beat, just minutes from the slopes. If you are looking for uncrowded slopes midweek this is the place to head for. They have the best facilities I've ever seen for beginners. (The local schools run their physical education department through this facility) I can truthfully say that after a long day on the slopes I looked forward to returning to Fairlawn to be completely rejuvenated for my next day....

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank majiastra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hunter Inn
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 2 in Tannersville

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!