“A very special experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oheka Castle

Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
Newtown, connecticut
“A very special experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I spent one night at Oheka castle on a groupon coupon. We were treated like royalty. It was a quiet midweek stay so we had the castle to ourselves. We got a whitney room , room 319 with a king size bed and a two -man whirlpool tub. Continental breakfast was included as was two drinks of our choice from their bar and a tour of the castle the next day. We went to Legal Seafood ( about 10 minute drive ) in Huntington for dinner. Our trip was on Jan. 31,2012 but there wasn't any snow. This is also a slow time for them for weddings. If one could afford it what a place for a wedding. They have 32 rooms for people to stay. I don't think I will forget the experience of staying in a castle , was a museum.. Was wonderfully restored . Great time.

9 Thank Jeanne L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lorton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I just spent two highly enjoyable days at the Castle. We have some comments that may be helpful to others. While clearly this is a place for large parties, weddings and receptions, it is also a highly unusual , but enjoyable hotel.

This is the dead of winter, and there were only a handful of guests there. One of the limited number of mansions left along the Gold Coast, that has survived so many ordeals since the Great Depression, Oheka Castle, is certainly worth a visit.

There is an interesting guided tour, staff was extremely helpful and polite, Paul especially, the room was very comfortable with Frette sheets and a great mattress. The food was excellent but we prefer less emphasis on a prix fixe menu, and would suggest an a la carte options, especially at breakfast.

Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of the visit is to see the on-going renovations and love of work that the current owner continues to put into the castle. Clearly, there is much to be done, but based on the past, he will complete adhering to his love of design and the property.

1 Thank Nanny1Lorton
Little Neck, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

My husband and I got married at Oheka Castle last January, and my mother surprised us by making reservations for us to stay at Oheka for our one year anniversary. At check in we discovered we were upgraded to a fabulous suite. While unpacking, room service surprised us with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. We had an amazing dinner at their newly opened bar and lounge (also serves lunch). The beautiful decor, delicious food, and impeccable service makes for a magical night! Hope to make this a long-time tradition!

Room Tip: Every room in Oheka has its own charm, but the larger suites are definitely the way to go. If you ca...
1 Thank Larissa P
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Got a great deal on a night here. We got the mid level room and it was certainly not your normal hotel room. Very tall ceilings, about 13 feet I would guess, and very large antique furniture. The bathroom was absolutely spotless, looked like it had never been used. Shower built with glass blocks and old fashioned claw foot iron bathtub.

You can tour yourself around the castle and see everything. The attention to detail is amazing. The owner has gone to great lengths to restore it to its original state. Take the guided tour, well worth it to learn the history of the place. Make sure you get to see room 401, this is the top end room that is about as big as condo and very luxurious.

We ordered room service and the food was outstanding, arrived fast and hot, and was reasonably priced. The included breakfast the next morning was also good with a wide variety of fresh fruit, pastries, and all the usual stuff.

Night we stayed there was a charity fund raiser and two very well known celebrities were there, casually chatted with one in the elevator, that was pretty neat as he was very low key and down to earth.

Staff was very polite and helpful. I actually don't have a single negative thing to say about Oheka. I highly recommend this place, strolling around and dining makes you feel like a character from The Great Gatsby.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

This review is long overdue as we had our babymoon back in November but I felt our stay was pleasant enough to write a review for Oheka. When I first tried to book the babymoon package, I asked the reservation manager whether I could switch out certain items but was told I could not. Tours also were not available on weekends because the castle was booked out for weddings. Basically, I got the feeling that it's either pay up for the package or leave it. Since I really wanted to plan a stay at Oheka for our babymoon, I tried just making a normal reservation and telling the staff that it was to celebrate our upcoming arrival. When we checked in, we were pleasantly surprised with a room upgrade to a Whitney. Although the castle was booked for a wedding, we were able to enjoy walking around the castle grounds, take lots of photos and relax in the beautiful clawfoot tub in the room. The snack basket in the room was a nice touch and turn down service showed attention to detail. We made reservations at a nearby restaurant called Amicale for dinner to celebrate and came back ready to relax. The softness of the down pillows and sheets is unsurpassed - up to par with 5 star hotels like the Omni Berkshire in NYC. I took off one star on this review only because of the unaccommodating staff whom I initially spoke with in trying to book a modified babymoon package. Being in the service industry, It's important to be flexible. And if not, at least be courteous and not pretentious about it. Otherwise, everything else about our stay was perfect.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank babyberry
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed at Oheka with my girlfriend for a romantic night and for a special place in which to propose. The castle is truly a wonder of refurbishment. The grandeur it has been restored to is incredible and really makes it the Versailles of North America. The staff were also very friendly and we both thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Definitively worth a visit for a night!

Gainesville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Oheka Castle on December 29, 2011 and found both positive and negative things. The negatives all have to do with the disappointing hotel accommodations.

First let me say that the grounds and the ambiance of the castle are awesome. We really enjoyed the beautiful décor and the groupon deal, which included a tour led by the fabulous Laura. Laura was wonderful and even received a round of applause from our large group at the end. She also was given many compliments for her ability to provide the group with excellent information about the estate in a captivating way. The owner, Gary, really did an amazing job restoring the structure to its original form. It is a great place to visit and I can certainly see why so many people have their weddings there.

Unfortunately, my husband and I were extremely disappointed with our rooms. If you notice, I use the word roomS as plural because we were actually moved after I complained about the first. I actually called the Hotel Manager and spoke to him about my situation after we left, so hopefully you will have a better experience.

First thing you should know is that the photos on the website of the rooms were definitely not what we saw in the two we were in. First we were put in a Chateu room. This was surprising because when I initially made the reservation, I requested a king size bed and a Whitney room. The young lady on the phone told me she had already reserved that for me and I thanked her. When we arrived, we were given a king size Chateu room and the lighting was very dim despite having all the switches to the highest levels. I felt like I was in an attic. When we put on the tv, the doors to the armoire kept closing. We tried several different times to get the doors to stay open, but they would not. We had to use the chairs to prop open the doors so that we could watch tv. I was also disappointed that the tvs were so old especially since the photos on the website show flat screen tvs.

When I called the front desk to ask why I was not in a Whitney room and to report that the doors to the armoire would not stay open, the young man was nice and found a Whitney room for me. I went down and exchanged keys and we moved down the hall. Unfortunately he did not inform me that we would now have a queen size bed, but I overlooked that because we now had a nicer bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. We unpacked our things and went to dinner.

Dinner was not the best service. It took 20 minutes to get our check. Our waitress, Rosa, was very nice and gave us our two beers on the house due to the lengthy wait. We appreciated her hospitality.

Back in our new room, I decided to try out the bathtub. Unfortunately there was something wrong with the water pressure. The tub took 45 minutes to fill above the jets. You did not misread that. It really took 45 minutes (from 9:45pm until 10:30). When the water finally reached 3-5”above the jets, I pushed the button to start them. Nothing happened, so I tried again. My husband tried too. Even though we figured the switches in the room had nothing to do with the tub, we tried flipping all the switches in an effort to get the tub to work but to no avail. I called downstairs to let them know. The following day when I got home and called to complain, the manager told me that there was a switch to control the jacuzzi and someone should have told me that. Unfortunately, even in the call I made to alert them to the problem, they did not tell me what to do.

So overall I gave this an average rating solely because of the accommodations. If I was just rating a trip to the Oheka Castle for a night on the town, I would say that the food is very overpriced, but I feel like you're paying to just be there which is really nothing short of amazing. It's a really cool bit of history that you learn on the tour as well, so for the tour and the castle grounds and main floors---I'd give this an EXCELLENT. For the accommodations---if you lower your expectations and don't expect it to be superior, you probably wouldn't be as disappointed as I was.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Melissa L
OHEKA, Manager at Oheka Castle, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
We regret that the reviewer experienced so many issues with their guestroom and thank them for taking the time to let us know about their experience at Oheka. We have taken appropriate actions within the company to ensure better service is provided in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
BEST WESTERN Woodbury Inn
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#3 of 4 in Garden City
Hilton Garden Inn Melville

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!