“Nice overnight stay - bought a groupon”
Review of Oheka Castle

Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
Massapequa, New York
“Nice overnight stay - bought a groupon”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

My husband bought the groupon for here for me for a night away for my birthday. I love castles (yes, this is a mansion but he thought it was cute) and we have a 9 month old that doesn't sleep well. So it was a little overnight getaway. We stayed on a Friday night - it didn't even cross my mind to think there would be a black-tie affair going on (yes, yes, this is a huge party venue but silly me didn't think).. and I had never been here so I guess I thought the hotel was more separate than the party venue. Anyway - we arrived around 6:30 pm and it was kind of creepy driving down the winding road toward the mansion and then we were confused when we arrived.. there is no self-park, it is really all valet. But then when we walked in, we were in jeans and sneakers but all these people in black-tie clothes were around! It felt weird checking in and carrying our clunky bag to the elevator when people were dressed so nicely. After we went up to the room we came back down but felt weird exploring the property since we were so under-dressed. My husband wanted to have a drink at the bar but I felt so uncomfortable I said no.. maybe if I had worn nicer clothes I would have felt better about it. Anyway, we stayed in a Whitney room and it was nice. Some of the furniture seems dated but I think that is the idea. One thing that wasn't dated was the bed - holy cushy comfort! They welcomed us with 2 bottles of complimentary Poland Spring, a bag of Terra chips, a bag of pretzels and a pack of Milano cookies. YUM! Nice little snack waiting!! There is free wi-fi and a good selection of TV channels. I didn't take advantage of the gorgeous, huge, claw foot tub, but if you bring a good book - you will love it. We each took a nice, long hot shower - the bathroom was nice. As for the party - we were in room 315 and you could hear the piano from cocktail hour by the door... and then the music from the party in the bathroom. Around 10-something we heard the crowd roar a bit but it wasn't terrible. We're not sure how long the party lasted but we were able to go to sleep without an issue. If you are a light sleeper and don't close the bathroom door, you may be annoyed by the music.
After a good night sleep, we relaxed until the complimentary continental breakfast opened at 8:30 am. At first we wandered into the ballroom where breakfast was set up with hot food until we found out that was for the event the night before and were told to go to the dining room - no hot food. Major bummer. This was probably my biggest gripe about the stay - breakfast. While there was an amazing selection of fruit (not just melon, also 4 different berries), and a good selection of Chobani yogart and Quaker chewy granola bars... the cereal selection was lacking. It was all sugar cereals for the most part. Cocoa Krispies, Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks... etc. No Cheerios, no plainer cereals. They found a Raisin Bran Crunch for me that I was going to eat until I saw only 1 carafe of milk.. I asked what it was and they said whole because they ran out of all the others last night. Really?!?!?!?!!?!? EW. EW EW EW. I hate whole milk and only drink skim.. would drink 1 or percent if need be. But how can they offer such unhealthy choices? Anyway.. so we sufficed on fruit, yogurt, toast, mini bagels, and finally they brought out instant oatmeal. The pastry selection was nice... but it is a lot of bread products and if you are trying to watch your weight.. this is a bad place to do it! Also, I hate when the attendant hover and as soon as you finish with a bowl they swoop over and take it. We were asked no less than 6 times if we were done with a certain bowl or plate and we weren't... I understand wanting to clear the table for the patrons but it does get a little annoying.. especially since we were trying to relax. We felt rushed a little or pressured. You could have ordered some hot food but it was pricey so we didn't.
Anyway - part of the Groupon was the Castle Tour at 11 and it was very informative. I enjoyed it. We also received a $10 appetizer voucher but we didn't use it because we weren't hungry when we got to the hotel after a big dinner out and we didn't want to stay after the tour because we wanted to get home to the baby. But it expires April 30th so they said we could always use it if we come back for dinner.
All in all I enjoyed the hotel. I wish I stayed on a quieter day because they are very open about letting guests explore and have run of the place. And I wish breakfast was a little different - or they at least had better cereal or healthier milk. I felt like I didn't have enough to eat because I didn't have my cereal.
But if you get a chance to stay here, it's definitely nice.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank akitkat118

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 24 November 2012

This is a pretty late review - we actually visited in April of this year - but we had a great stay. The castle and grounds really are beautiful. We loved the tour, and both breakfast and the refreshments after the tour were delicious. It was like being in a museum, but not being forbidden to touch things, such as the books in the library.

The front desk was very nice and let me bring up my Groupon on their computers, as I had forgotten to print it myself. Housekeeping was also responsive when we couldn't get the shower door open. Turns out it had gotten jammed after cleaning, and could have been opened with a slightly harder pull; however, we certainly didn't want to break it, given the fees for damages at the castle!

A few things to note/quirks to be aware of if you stay here: 1) It is meant to be historic, so I wouldn't expect all of the modern technological conveniences or appliances that you get at other hotels. 2) Security checked our names and opened the gates upon our arrival in the afternoon, but they were completely gone and the gates were wide open at night? 3) I guess you can ride horses in the area or something, because one had left its business on the open area in the front of the castle where you park... so just look before you step!

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank et723
New York
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This is a beautiful Chateau that was once a gold coast mansion, now restored and converted into a catering venue, restaurant, and hotel. It truly is in remarkable shape and reminded me of some of the palatial estates found in Europe. The restaurant was very good and all of the staff were helpful and friendly. Some of the mansions facilities were being used for a wedding the night we stayed there and we're thus off limits, but most of the beautiful public rooms were open. If this is a concern, you may want to inquire if a wedding or other event is scheduled during the days you want to visit.
The only real downside to this being a dual catering facility and hotel was that on arrival, the wedding party were taking photos by the front enterance and we were prohibited from entering the driveway. A minor annoyance, but one that should be corrected.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbarryan
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on September 25th and 26th and it was an amazing stay which we won't forget. From the time that we first signed in, it was very welcoming and in fact, the owner, Gary Melius, greeted us welcoming us to his home. Our room was the most luxurious of any place we have seen in the world and the bed was just perfect. The next day, before heading to the Hamptons and Montauk, we walked all over the castle just looking at the architecture of the "Gilded Age" that all of us read about in history books. The second morning, we took advantage of the free breakfast in the dining room - it was advertised as a continental breakfast but it was a wonderment of piles of fruit, pastry, and all types of juices that was mind boggling. A special "Thank You" goes to Ms. Hyacinth Waugh, the Day Manager, for her hospitality and attentiveness at breakfast. I would strongly recommend staying here as it is a fabulous experience - how many times can you be treated like Royalty and stay in a castle? By the way, the Castle is recognizable in many TV commercials and has been used as a movie location beginning with the classic "Citizen Kane" in the '40's to the USA TV series "Royal Pains" now currently showing. Mr. Gary Melius should be congratulated for preserving one of our country's most magnificent historical treasures!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PrinceRaider
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had lunch at the Oheka Castle this past weekend. The place is just magnificent. The owner has done an outstanding job of restoring one of America’s premier historic homes. You do not have to stay at the hotel to eat at their restaurant. The food was excellent and imaginative. The service was the best. In fact all the staff is welcoming and courteous Also during our lunch the owner stopped by to say hello and chat for a while.
It is impossible to understand how some reviewers on Trip Advisor could have written the negative comments they did about the Oheka Castle. It seems some people are just never satisfied, do not know greatness when it is staring them in the face, and evidently are just incorrigibly negative personalities.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank OneFairCall
freeport NY
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I have never stayed at the Oheka Castle but have been there a number of times for special events. The property is gorgious and the home magnificent!

The service at the events is true to the reputation of a fine catering destination.

i can recommend it.

Room Tip: No restaurant but catered well!