“Beautiful building and grounds but rooms arn't up to par.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oheka Castle

Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
New York City, New York
“Beautiful building and grounds but rooms arn't up to par.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is a really unique hotel and the grounds are beautiful. We really like this place but the rooms, especially the beds are strange. The kings feel as if they have a bar or something running down the middle of them. Some of the rooms are mildly tattered and one bathroom is all sea green. I mean ALL green. There is different building materials throughout almost as if the proprietor had left over construction materials from other construction projects. The restaurant is good and the service excellent (except for the car parks). If I were back in the 70's I'd say "This place is a trip." It really is.

Room Tip: The rooms have odd shapes probably because of the renovation. Get one with large windows on the top...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RDo_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have lived in Long Island since I was 6 years old. I had "heard" about this Castle in Long Island in recent years and always said I wanted to stay. Well that day had come last week. I had booked this room last year September because in the month of May they have deals for rooms. Well, I was not disappointed. When I arrived I was in AMAZEMENT, it was like you were in a different Country. The entrance is out of a fantasy land. Check in was smooth. Cobblestone hard to walk in with heels on but who cared you were at a Castle - HELLO! Wedding for someone was about to start and that was fine other than the room being a bit noisy with the Reception but I mentioned that to the front desk and BOOM the Manager came to our room and switched it within minutes, can you say Customer Service - wow! The rooms were plush and beautiful. Ernie at the restaurant was wonderful and personable, perfect job for him. Hyacinth the Day Manager and Jamie were SUPER. My boyfriend and I met the daughter of the Owner. Her name is Kelly. She was so kind and patience, no question was too much. My boyfriend and I actually saw her wiping up something off the floor and that actually impressed us because hey her Dad owned this place and she could have said "Hey maintenance come clean this up" but that shows you the type of stature this young Woman was, nothing was to small for her to do. We met the owner Gary and he is one of the most humble Men I have ever met. Thanked us for coming and even signed my Oheka book and took pictures with my Boyfriend during the tour. I could have not asked for a better time. Thank you for making my night and day special, I will never forget the most classy Castle and staff in the WORLD! :)

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor if possible. Because if there is a Wedding Reception you will hear a lot of pa...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IPraise2
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Personally, I had never stayed in a castle before, but I could really get used to it. What an amazing place! My wife surprised me with a wonderful birthday weekend and what a great present it proved to be. The rooms are amazing, the interior regal and the grounds are magnificent. Dinner was perfect in the dining room, the food well prepared and delicious. The owner, Gary Melius, stopped by at dinner to be sure our stay was going well and wish me a happy birthday. The entire atmosphere is nothing like you've ever seen, much less been an overnight guest. Even the breakfast was special. Be sure to take the castle tour and check out the pictures to see who's been married there and stayed in each room. It's quite the place.

Room Tip: It would be hard to decide which room is best, visit the website to see how each one is unique.
3 Thank Jamesnaylorjr
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

April 27th my husband and I had the grand experience of attending a wedding at the Oheka Castle. The hotel and its grounds are beautiful, well-groomed in every respect. The bed was wonderful, which was a blessing as the weekend was full and we needed the rest. We understand it is a venue for many weddings. It lends itself well for this. All of our meals, the wedding reception and the formal dinner were excellent. I was very impressed with the service. Everyone was very polite and helpful. I truly felt like Cinderella at the ball. My only negative remark is to note the lighting in the bath room was not conducive for dressing for a formal occasion. While beautifully decorated, the lighting in the room and bathroom could be enhanced to make it easier to see while dressing. All in all, it was a memorable stay at the Oheka Castle.
Lifetime memory!

Room Tip: Choice may be limited by your budget. It is a pricey place to stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim S
STATEN ISLAND NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Only stayed 1 night, but felt like royalty. Room was big with full bath rain shower head, bed was comfy. We did the tour, it was included in our Groupon, very informative and fun! Continental breakfast was plentiful, although they need to give you more than 2 wedges of butter a time lol.

Room Tip: We had a standard room with no view, but just exploring the castle was enough for us, I'm sure t...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Hotel is historic and magnificent.
There is a lot of history in the way this magnificent structure has changed hands over 100 years and is now in very good hands for last ~ 30 years
We went at the end of Mar... It was a bit cold at that time, but time well spent and a very fulfilling visit
The views are great
Lawns are well maintained
Rooms are not that big and not all of them have views - we stayed at Whitney room for $300
The rooms are great and comfy

The tour of the hotel is great and a must attend
Owner Gary is Very warm and great person to know. I coud not meet - but my family had the chance to say hi

Breakfast is just about ok

Kids loved every bit

Room Tip: View of the front lawns
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amlu V
fort lee , new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We watch Royal Pains and Oheka is where they shoot a lot. You drive up the driveway you see on TV, and can sit in Boris's chair in the library. Lunch was excellent! Have the shrimp tempura and the poached seafood salad. The Whitney room was a bit of an issue. The mattress sunk terribly, there was no soap dish so the soap just laid on the marble top, and for the room size it should have had a double sink. Take the informative tour.

Room Tip: Ask for a walkin shower
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
BEST WESTERN Woodbury Inn
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#3 of 4 in Garden City
Melville Marriott Long Island

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!