“Stunning Location!”

OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in Huntington to attend a concert and we came across Oheka Castle. The entrance to the hotel is stunning. The check in is a bit impersonal in a side office, but that did not deter from the beautiful staircase. We had a standard room which was spacious and had all the amenities we needed. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large- Molton Brown products are always a plus as well.

The gardens are lovely and are bound to be spectacular in late Spring. Unfortunately we did not get a chance to try out the pool.

The Oheka Sunrise (I think that was what it was called) is delicious. The bar is definitely well stocked.

Breakfast was in the ballroom. It was simple, but sufficient. Unfortunately, only not so great point, there must have been an event on our second morning as we were completely forgotten- the selection was less than the day before and we had to wait a while to ask someone for butter.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StarFT

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My fiance proposed in the back garden 2 weeks ago, beautiful setting for such a gesture! The proposal package included dinner, wine, champagne, rose petals strewn on the bed in our upgraded room, chocolate covered strawberries: the whole 9 yards. We even met Gary while admiring the art bedecking the halls, and he was very friendly.

Dinner service was excellent; we were not rushed at all. While we were there, an author was having a book signing in the bar area so we have a unique souvenir to mark our engagement night. Gary greeted us in the dining room and really topped off our already deliriously happy evening by surprising us with an upgrade to the Bridal Suite!

The suite was simply astounding. I really felt as though we had been transported to turn of the century luxury. Our first room (320) was great, with a small sitting area, spacious bathroom and nice view. The suite left us speechless, and nostalgia set in before we even left. Everyone "oohs and ahhs" over the photos.

Speaking of photos, one thing that wasn't so amazing: my fiance planned his proposal months in advance. He even hired a photographer to catch the special moments and take pictures on the grounds afterwards. When the photographer arrived ahead of us, he was not permitted without approval from management. When my fiance went inside to sort things out, he was able to get the approval, at the additional cost of $300 (just for the privilege of an outside photographer). The next day, he got a congratulatory email offering to credit the $300 to our catering bill should we host our wedding there. Since we live in Florida with most of our family down here, chances are that won't happen.

However, all in all, it was an amazing setting for a very special day for us. Gary's gracious gift will always be special in our hearts and we look forward to celebrating many happy anniversaries there in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had seen this place listed in one of our books about historic homels

We had seen this hotel listed in one of our historic hotels of America books and decided to stay there for one night with our daughter on our way to the Hamptons from NYC. We were late getting there for our dinner reservation since we were in terrible traffic leaving New York. The hotel staff were very nice and understanding and said they would talk to the chef and let him know we would be late. We checked in and immediately went to our rooms to change for dinner and didn't get much of a chance to look around. Dinner was excellent, and Gary Melius, the owner of the property, stopped by our table, introduced himself and talked to other guests before sitting down with them. After dinner, my daughter and I went to the bar and had a martini. The hotel was not crowded, but there was an Indian wedding going on there that was heavily attended. We learned that the Castle is the number one wedding venue in the U.S. I can see why. The grounds are lush and green and well kept. The rooms are very well appointed, and the ballroom is very large yet cozy. The menu is diverse and the food is fun and well prepared. If desired, the entire Castle can be rented out, and all of the guests feel right at home. There were many complimentary snacks in our room and first class bath and grooming products. Breakfast was continental but very filling and tasty. We had a view of the back while eating, and after breakfast took a tour of the entire property with our guide, Laura, who was very knowledgeable and fun. Loved this place and will return eventually. Gary has put a lot of money into the Castle renovating it, and it is a first class destination.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 318 and 319, and 318 had a complete view of the back golf course.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This review is for the Bar/Restaurant - went here for Mother's day dinner and was not impressed with the service nor the food. Had a reservation at 6:15 and when we got there, nobody was paying attention to us. Hubby was at the bar waiting for a maitre d but none. Finally after 10mins, one of the server asked him if there's anything she could do, hubby told her we have a reservation at 6:15 and she goes ok, that's all. After another 10 mins, another server passed by i told her again about our reservation and she said another server is already preparing our table. I mean what kind of service is this?! Then on the way out, the valet parking guy was giving us a different car, i mean really?!

3  Thank Housemouse901
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The grounds are beautiful/breathtaking. The staff is great. We were at the Castle for a wedding and really enjoyed the outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. The food, which I presume was cooked by the hotel chef was good. It is an extremely unique setting. The library was a real treat. I would highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The grounds are just breathtaking. If you are looking for an amazing venue this has it all. The executive chef has designed a great menu and it is executed so well. We stayed during a critical part of home renovation, was a smart move. We enjoyed our time there very much. I've been to both corporate and wedding events here and I was very impressed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sephra
Reviewed 28 March 2014

One thing I've noticed is that the last few times I've stayed here, the discount travel site people have found out the secret of this great hotel. This last time there were 5 or 6 couples staying here who were in their 20s or early 30s and had used groupon or some of the other discount sites to book a room. (I was a bit dissapointed to find out that one of them paid almost half off what I did for the same room AND they were given food/drink vouchers) I guess I will have to brush up on my discount travel social media dealmaking in the future!

Despite the somewhat louder than I am used to guests/families roaming around taking photos of the castle for facebook, I had another very enjoyable stay here. The family that owns the castle is very gracious and treat you like a guest in their home vs. an annoyance. I was shocked to hear about the owner's recent health problem and wish him a speedy recovery!

Oheka is one of the last Golden Age mansions that guests can stay in. While it is not as ornate and gilded as some of the Newport mansions, it is still a fantastic example of pre-income tax wealth and oppulance. The rooms are well appointed and furnished nicely. The bathrooms are really something else with large antique style soaking tubs and jetted showers. Most luxurious hotels fall short when it comes to a small, dated bathroom ... but Oheka has some of the nicest bathrooms/showers out of any hotel I've ever stayed in.

The hotel is pretty much open for wandering around at any time. At night, some of the younger staff needs to learn how to keep the 4 letter words being SHOUTED out to a minimum as castle walls do echo ... however, it is still quite unique to be wandering around inside a castle.

The restaurant is quite good and the bar offers more variety of whiskey and scotch than just about any other bar I've been to. What a treat for a whiskey lover! I usually treat myself to a very top shelf whiskey each time I am here and based on the number of scotch botles, etc. I will not run out of new ones to try anytime soon! They have over 6 varieties of Johnny Walker alone! In the morning, they lay out a fabulous breakfast buffet of fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, etc. If you prefer hot entrees you can order them off a menu. I love the eggs benedict here!

Oheka is certainly somewhere you must try a stay at! When I am on business on Long Island, I try to book a night here especially when I am staying at typical ho hum Marriott properties. It really is a little treat of luxury that breaks up a typical business stay nicely. The price isn't always so budget friendly, but that is to be expected because this is one of the most unique hotels in the United States as far as I am concerned. And this is a luxury property for sure (love a hotel with turndown service!) Apparently they run deals on groupon and other discount sites, which would be good for those who couldn't afford the regular rate ... but bad for those of us who don't love being around a younger travel crowd.

So glad Gary and his family open their Oheka Castle to guests. It is an oasis of a better time!

Room Tip: Every room is different.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank LovinHotelLife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#1 of 4 in Garden City
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel

Been to OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate? Share your experiences!