“Beautiful inside and out”
Review of Oheka Castle

Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for one night during the week for our anniversary. First, let me say the paintings throughout the castle are gorgeous, carpets are lush, trim is beautiful, outside grounds are amazing, the castle is unbelievable and is located at the end of a suburban street!
It would have been very nice to have a history of the castle in the room as reception at check in and check out are polite but very short in manner so we didn't feel comfortable asking too many questions. There was a movie being made (we think) and many things were covered up in the main area of castle but we were not informed what was going on. I left wishing I knew more about the history of the castle. Two suggestions, for safety's sake, a step stool is needed for the shower for people who are short and there should be light blocking window treatments. A peaceful stay with complimentary snacks and water. I would like to mention the maintenance man who gave my husband a cup of coffee at 6AM. Nice gesture and much appreciated!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luckygirl13

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We recently came back from a 2 night stay in this hotel for leisure and continued on to the Hamptons. Overall we had a very good experience with a few downsides that I have outlined below.

On the plus side: (i) the rooms have been completely renovated with modern nice bathrooms, (ii) the owner has obviously put a lot of time, effort and money into the property and continues to do so, (iii) the staff is exceptionally personable and friendly, (iv) the restaurant is quite good (we had both lunch and dinner there) with attentive staff, (v) the breakfast buffet is set up in one of the smaller ballrooms each morning and has a selection of coffee, juice, breads, pastries, fruit, cereals (though no hot food), (vi) the castle itself is gorgeous with glorious manicured gardens that remind you of a grand French chateau.

On the downside, for the rates charged at this hotel there is little to do other than sleep, eat and take a walk around the grounds. There is no pool (the indoor one at the property dates from the 1920's and is closed to the public until renovated sometime in the future), no tennis (the court is unkempt) and no spa (this is being added and they were working on this when we were there). I must add, however, that there is a very nice golf course next door if one is a golfer, and there is a workout facility located in a small building off of the main front courtyard but we did not try it. Additionally, there is a puzzling lack of outdoor seating at the hotel - one would think that as a hotel guest you could sit outside comfortably somewhere on the property, relax and take in the gorgeous views, but this does not exist. The restaurant has some outdoor lounge seating but it is in a small courtyard enclosed by walls. Also, this hotel is a very popular wedding and party venue and personally I would recommend only staying there Monday through Thursday unless one was there as a party guest. We were pleased with the quiet noise levels at the hotel until Friday morning when we heard all kinds of banging upstairs and in the hallway as well as people in the room next door. We realized then that the interior room walls are very thin.

Room Tip: Try to get breakfast included in your room rate because there is no easy way to grab a coffee and pa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CalDreamn
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We spent one night in the castle. The rate can be pricey however it's a great once in a lifetime experience to actually sleep in a castle. I have toured a couple of historic mansions and wished that I could stay at least one night there. That's why I'm glad is Oheka is open to the public. The place was beautiful, not much people except for the day of our check out. Victoria's secret had a photo shoot there for their Christmas catalog. I didnt see my fave model, Adriana but it's okay. We also met Mr. Gary Melius, the owner and he is very pleasant. I'm happy to see him doing well after the incident that happened to him couple of months ago. Our room was very clean, bed was comfortable. The reason why I'm deducting 2 stars is because of the following: First, the restaurant service is very poor. Waiter and waitress were very unfriendly. They did not even introduce their names. It took forever for the food to come and we were very hungry. The food was not good as well. It tasted bland. Another reason why we're taking off another star is because our safe in the room was not working and there was no hot water when I took a shower. The water was cold. Other than that, the staff were friendly, except for the people in the restaurant, and we're happy that Mr. Melius is checking out everyone to make sure they're okay. I would definitely come back but maybe I would not pay the full price again. Maybe I'll come back when there's a groupon deal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Phat_doodles
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I were planning our 10th anniversary getaway for this last February when I found a groupon for Oheka. We had never stayed in a real catle before, we're just regular joe schmoes.
Anyway, I wasn't feeling well on the trip up there and long story short by 10pm I was screaming in pain and we called the front desk to ask them to call 911. They did right away and within 2 minutes the manager was at our door asking if I needed assistance getting to the ground floor, he was out of breath and looked genuinely worried for me. I was in a lot of pain but could walk slowly with short breaks. The manager walked us the whole way down to the front door and stayed with us until the ambulance arrived.
I ended up being admitted into the hospital for blood clots in my lungs. i was so dissapointed because I had only spent a total of like 3 hours at Oheka and part of that time was at dinner, which was fabulous.
My husband just called Oheka and spoke with the manager who is lettung us come back for free for a night! Howe amazing is that? We finally get our getaway for our anniversary because they have exceptional service. I couldn't be more thrilled to go back and be treated like royalty!

Room Tip: the whitney room was very nice, a bit more modern looking than I expected but so very nice!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was a guest at a wedding about a year ago. We were very excited about going to this lovely sight. Yes I can say the gardens and the house is lovely. But the service and staff are not. You could not find a server if your life deepened on it. Once you are ushered into the dining hall you could be at any catering hall. One of the dinners was missing from our table and the server actually blamed the guest! Since you could not get a drink from your table the bar was mobbed with people getting drinks which made the bartenders surely even though they were being tipped very well by the guests. As the night was ending and we were leaving I heard the valet complaining about having to go get cars! For a place that charges an arm and a leg for their function you would think that the service would be top rate! For the money go somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maddalena M
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Unbelievable food. Had sea bass with shell fish. Caeser salad was terrific. Apple tart had wonderful fresh apples. One of the best meals I've ever had. Ambiance couldn't be better. Arrive before sunset so you can see the grounds. Server was not well trained.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard Y
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Oheka Castle successfully gives the feeling of staying at a historic castle (which it is). Our room had a very annoying high-frequency/high-pitch noise, but the front desk had no problem with giving us another room. We were given close to none information at check-in - when we went to ask them what was happening at the Castle, we were told here was a fundraiser and was told to stay away form the dining area. When we checked out, a bus arrived for a tour at the castle and the front desk was busy and stressed with that. The breakfast was ok, but they were miserly with the amount of food put forward. The building and the garden is very nice.

In total a good and interesting stay at an actual castle!

Room Tip: Away from the staircase if there is any event. Our initial room had a very annoying high-frequency/h...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carlhi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#1 of 4 in Garden City
Melville Marriott Long Island

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!