“Great Place to Rejuvenate” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hurleyville
Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hurleyville
New York, NY
“Great Place to Rejuvenate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

I just went for four days by myself to center myself and heal. It was such a great place to do it. The massage, sauna, and showers were great! I looked forward to each meal-Saniye is a great cook. They were the best home cooked meals ever. Saniye went to the CSA to pick up veggies and we had it that evening. It was amazing. Where they are situated in the Catskils is so beautiful-green and lush. The air was so fresh and crisp. They also took me hiking. The waterfalls were gorgeous. They took me to restorative yoga and it was amazing. It really helped calm me. The cats are the cutest! The time away from the city on my own was what I needed to take a step towards healing. Thank you guys so much! I'll be visiting again very soon.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ambrosia337

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

My daughter and I went to Sanivan Holistic Retreat with the goal to cleanse ourselves there and put our lifestyle on the right track. In our 7 day stay, we achieved, actually, more than we hoped for! Exquisite fresh organic juices and smoothies, absolutely delicious organic raw food (got great recipes from Saniye!), body detox with Dr. Schulze herbs and tinctures, etc... A huge pool, sauna, all kind of exercise equipment, massage, facial, yoga, Rife therapy were a great addition to our cleansing efforts. The Shiatsu massage by Ivan we considered the best massage we've ever had!

The atmosphere at the retreat is wonderful - very relaxing, warm and inviting. The first floor of the house and pool/exercise/treatment facilities are all done in wood. There are three good size guest bedrooms upstairs, Internet room, modern showers with hydro massage, very large kitchen with all sorts of equipment and living room downstairs, TV, good library, - all spotless and free to use. Beautiful cats added to the atmosphere, as did beautiful music, movies and great conversations that we had with Saniey and Ivan.

We also read a lot of good and rare alternative therapy stuff from our host's library and watched DVDs on that subject (alternative therapy is my hobby, while I work in a medical field). I have to say that the joy that we experienced through our stay in Sanivan was somewhat surprising to me - I do have very serious health issues and I have preoccupied myself with the concerns and worries for the last year or so. But at Sanivan both me and my daughter felt so peaceful and happy (where did all the worries go?) that neither of us wanted to leave.... I guess, cleansing of the soul really goes along with the cleansing of the body:-)

I highly recommend this unique Retreat to everyone who wants the same things we wanted from that stay. The quality of foods and services, the dedication to healing and professional attitude, the amount of good that happens to you there worth much more than the price of the stay. And if you do not want cleansing, smoothies and raw food and are in a good health, you would just enjoy Saniye's wonderful cooking, conversations, massages, etc as you would do in a Bed&Breakfast with a spa features.
S.N., NY, NY

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank vilca
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

I have been to Sanivan four or five times in the past year. Everytime I go I arrive stressed and tired and leave feeling peaceful and energized. The greatest asset that Sanivan has are its owners, Saniye and Ivan. They are caring, knowledgable, lovely people who really work very hard to make sure that your stay is comfortable and satisfying. There is a huge heated pool, a sauna, fitness equipment, a great library of spiritual, self-help, nutrition, and natural healing books, and a dvd collection of very interesting and educational films. They rooms are pretty and comfortable, I always sleep so well there. The food is absolutely gourmet level delicious, and they do all the cooking themselves, and will gladly send you home with some recipes. They are really flexible with the food and will be able to counsel you on what style of eating would be best during your stay, whether it's vegetarian, vegan, raw, or juicing, as well as non-vegetarian. All the food is organic and supports local businesses, and some of the food is even from their very own garden! They have beautiful and sweet cats who love to be pet but will leave you alone if you don't feel like being bothered, they are not at all intrusive. There is a great yoga studio a few minutes away that I would really recommend attending with Saniye and Ivan as well. The treatments are like a slice of heaven on earth, after a shiatsu or facial treatment I feel absolutely blissful! You should know that the bathroom is shared and the food is family style, so make sure you are comfortable with that before you book. Your stay can really be customized and you can have as much alone time or as much company as you like. Saniye and Ivan would also be glad to take you on a hike, or you can just walk the pretty labyrinth in their yard. I could go on forever about how great Sanivan is, I just left a week ago and I'm already looking forward to my next stay! I would definitely recommend this spa/retreat!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank mtopaz
East Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

My husband and I came to visit Sanivan for a week in June. I needed a chance to get away from my hectic life and recharge my batteries. I chose to come to Sanivan because I wanted a more relaxed and "personal" experience than just going to a B&B, hotel, or big retreat center. What we got was exactly what we needed! Saniye and Ivan were wonderful hosts who warmly shared their home and their energy with us. I chose to juice fast during my stay, while my husband ate whatever Saniye and Ivan were cooking. My fast was very comfortable and pleasant, with lots of variety in the juices that were prepared, and I never felt deprived or irritable. We spent our days going to yoga classes, swimming in their lovely pool and enjoying the sauna, cuddling with their adorable kitties, reading, and generally relaxing. My husband and I both had a shiatsu massage, which was included in the cost of our stay, and I had a fantastic facial. Our room was lovely and very comfortable, and our bathroom -- with the Spa Shower that included a waterfall and high-powered jets -- was AMAZING! If you are looking for a big luxury hotel, room service, or somewhere to go where you will be just left alone, then you should probably look somewhere else. If you are looking for a place to stay where you will receive personal attention in a relaxing and comfortable environment, especially if you are interested in fresh home-made meals of organic food, vegetarian/vegan food, or juice fasting, this is a fantastic place to go to!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank savyakoshka
Ithaca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

I spent a weekend here with two friends. It was relaxing, we had great massages, rooms are comfortable, and the food is excellent. But what the website does not tell you is that this is really a private house in a residential neighborhood, and you are eating in the owner's kitchen, sitting in their living room, and walking in their not-at-all-private backyard. The "yoga and dance lessons" are offered awkwardly by the male owner, and we often felt that we were just in their way rather than being paying guests. The cats are all over the house and the pool was closed for the winter. It's a nicely appointed bed & breakfast with some spa facilities, but to call it a spa/retreat seems misleading

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank ithacanmom
Sanivan, Owner at Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2009
Hello Ithacanmom, thanks for your feedback. To address a few of your points…

- We’re glad you enjoyed the treatments, accommodations and food!

- Regarding us being a bed and breakfast: We’ve always had a large headline right on our home page that says “B&B for the Soul” as quoting Budget Travel Magazine, but thanks for pointing out that this might not be enough. We’ve modified the home page now and call ourselves a “bed and breakfast spa” to make the point even clearer.

- Regarding our lessons, we cater to our visitors on an individual basis making things available by request or as necessary for the healing program of a given client. We actually have a much wider range of yoga classes we make available to our clients at a neighboring yoga studio, in a group setting. We hope we can share them with you next time you visit.

- Regarding the pool being closed, yes, due to the recent down turn in the economy and increased energy costs, we were not able to keep the swimming pool heated in the winter months. We had to make this compromise in order to continue offering our affordable prices.

- And I am sorry that you felt “awkward”, or “in our way.” It certainly was not our intention, in fact we purposefully did not join you and your friends at the dining table for mealtimes so that you might have the chance to spend time together and bond. It is always our goal to be as hospitable and welcoming as possible.

Our retreat and spa certainly offer a very unique experience. We cater specifically to individuals seeking quiet space where true healing can take place in their lives. We do this by offering comfortable accommodations, healthy food and personal guidance at an affordable price. Being as we have such a focused vision, we realize we might not appeal to those who do not seek such offerings at a given time, but we do hope that you might still think of us when you do need them.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Saniye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurleyville
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
Days Inn Liberty
Days Inn Liberty
#1 of 3 in Liberty
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Sanivan Holistic Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!