“OMG”
Review of Hard Times Cafe - CLOSED

Hard Times Cafe
“OMG”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had been to this restaurant for breakfast the year before and it was very good, so we thought we would try it for dinner. Bad thought. They had a prime rib dinner special that my husband opted for and I ordered the fried shrimp dinner. My husbands was edible and he gave it between 3 1/2 to 4 stars out of 10. My shrimp came out a very, very dark brown, I think of a mahogany color. I thought well, I'll taste one, it was extremely burnt. In my opinion, they should have never been brought to the table. We told the waitress and she said no problem they would make new ones. The second batch came out about 2 shades lighter, which was still very dark brown. I tried one, and it was a tiny, little salad shrimp in a whole lot of burned batter. I gave my dinner a 1 out of 10 and only because the half of ear of corn on the cob was good. I'm not sure if there is a new owner or what happened here, but they won't ever see me again.

Visited July 2014

Middletown, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT LIKE IT ONCE WAS”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Was Here Back In 2010 And Was Happy'
Stopped in for LUNCH MARCH 8,2014 while up for SNOFEST. VERY UNHAPPY.
Came in and sat down, waited for service .Finally rude and miserable waitress came back to ask us what we wanted to drink AS IF WE WERE BOTHERING HER. After half an hour late finally got our drinks. Another15 minutes later she took our order. All this and place was not at all busy.
Finally got food.. 2 Taco salads with hardly any meat., COLD burger and frys,.
chicken tenders with no one asking my son if he wanted any BBQ sauce or honey mustard. Asked for second cup of coffee NEVER GOT IT. Also heard other group wondering about waitresses bad attitude. NEVER WILL GO BACK.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank B S
Rocky Point
“Not as Happy as Before-No Shrimp BOWL!!!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I still think the Hard Times is cute and has some decent prices, but the service seems to have gone downhill in the past 2 years. There's a much longer wait for the food (when empty), the waitresses aren't as good as they used to be, and they removed the main reason we'd go, which was a delicious bowl of iced peel and eats. SOOOOO sad that they removed it. They should have kept it and just raised the price. Now, I'd consider other places first.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank C S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible service”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stopped for dinner on our way thru town. The table was dirty and we waited so long for a drink that we switched to the bar but there was no bartender. The table was dirty and there was broken glass on the bar. Food was awful too. We were told it was off season so they were short handed. We watched 2 full tables leave because of the service issues.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Nytravelsagain
Hampton Bays
“basic place ,good food,good prices!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Nothing special or fancy but OK for a fast meal!Staff can be better dressed they looked a little too casual for a restaurant.

Visited September 2013