“An Adirondack Gem”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Inlet
Arlington, Virginia
“An Adirondack Gem”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Check out the guide tents at the Woods Inn in Inlet, New York where our sleep was disturbed only by peepers, birds, and the gentle lapping of waves on the shore of Fourth Lake within a short stroll of quaint “downtown” Inlet, New York. A gentle rain in the morning added to the charm of the surroundings.

Innkeepers Jay and Joedda go to great lengths to assure the comfort of their guests where the size of the tents are so generous they easily accommodate a queen size bed, Adirondack chair, footstool, armoire, desk, trunk, and end tables. Electric heaters and fans are included.
Adjacent to the tent’s front porch (two more Adirondack chairs) was the privy which is constructed by sturdy rough logs and had a two headed shower, benches, and granite counter tops!

After enjoying a drink in the Inn’s tavern, I recommend that you take advantage of dinner at the Woods Inn. And, don’t miss the $6 buffet breakfast in the dining room or on the back porch with its terrific view of Fourth Lake.

This old inn’s expansive lawn is filled with more Adirondack chairs and spills down to the lake and its boat dock that attacks happy hour and dinner guests as well as fisherpeople who wish to try their luck with rod and reel. If interested in something more venturesome, rent a kayak or canoe from the Frisky Otter (on premises) where Connie will properly outfit you with all the right gear and equipment.

Pass on the guide tent if you prefer smaller accommodations and the more traditional feel of an inn. But, seriously consider a guide tent if you want a delightful change of pace that is in the spirit of the history of the Adirondacks and without the inconvenience of roughing it.

Room Tip: There are only three guide tents at the Woods Inn, so make a reservation well in advance of your tra...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here over Valentine's Day weekend in February. The food was excellent for breakfast and dinner. Our first night we arrived quite late, but the owner held a place for us for dinner when I called ahead and said we would be getting in late. I thought that was considerate. The waitresses were very pleasant. The owners were very nice as well. The location is as optimal as you can get in the Adirondacks - right on the eastern edge of Fourth Lake. It was centrally located to all the hikes we had planned. There is certainly plenty to do there to keep busy. With that being said, our room did not look like the pictures, apart from the fact that there is a whirlpool tub in it. Some cleaning would be in order. The bathrooms and dining areas were very clean, but most of the hallways and our room were quite musty. There was dog feces outside our door in the hallway the second morning when we left. We thought it was more funny than gross, but that's something that shouldn't happen. The upstairs floors are quite slanted to the point of noticing it when you lie down on a bed, but the building must be 100+ years old and the Adirondack winters wreak havoc on the settling of buildings.The bartender downstairs was very nasty to me for no reason. She scowled at me when I asked for two Blue Lights. I had no idea why. Maybe it was because we were the youngest people there by 15 years and she thought we were under age? However, after we produced ids , the scowling persisted. Either way, her demeanor was unacceptable to me. Staying anywhere in the Adirondacks is expensive so you get what you pay for. My girlfriend and I had a lot of fun on our weekend trip, I would probably go back again - but we will not being going to the bar. Service would get 5 stars from me if it weren't for the bartender. The service apart was her was great.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert M
Adkinnkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Woods Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Robert,

I'm glad to hear that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay at The Woods Inn. We are passionate about the Adirondack setting and ensuring that our Inn continues to provide the most comfortable, enjoyable, relaxing, and fun stay people could want in the Adirondacks. We encourage you to come back!
Dansville, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights in this wonderful old inn. The owners and staff made us feel like we had known them for years. We wanted a place to stay to take advantage of snowshoeing on some of our favorite trails, and this was perfect. I loved the fact that they kept it looking like turn of the century with the decor, and added some nice modern touches to the rooms. The morning breakfast was a one price buffet, and it was just what we needed to hike for the morning. We ate in the tavern one evening and shared lobster mac and cheese and a panini. Very tasty! We look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: The top two floors with the rooms facing the lake were fantastic.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have come to this wonderful home away from home for a number of years to go snowmobiling with my friends. Each and everytime we are welcomed like we were just there yesterday. Beyond the great historic restoration and rooms that are always ready and clean, the food is some of the best I have ever had, and that view is shared by everyone I have been there with me. I dont write reviews much, but this is far and beyond the best experience and well worth the trip for a couple or a group. This year we were with 8 others and the owners were very able to accomodate all of us, and really made for a great trip. We are all trying to get back later this year, and I wont stay anywhere else. Freindly and Fantastic!

Room Tip: quieter on south side if you go in the winter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank GregMan123
nj
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Found this place on trip advisor after snowmobiling all day went on all the good reviews and found it to be excellent the owners were very nice nice atmosphere easy to get there on snowmobile .i had lamb shank was very good .friend had chicken pot pie he said same thing .will go back in a few weeks

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank outside1
Inlet, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We could not have imagined having a more amazing wedding than the one hosted by The Woods Inn in August of 2013. As a former event planner, I have an eye for detail and have a difficult time letting go; I did, with my daughters insistence, and can honestly say that our experience was wonderful beyond our greatest expectations. Joedda and Jay, the owners, and their staff, were attentive to our every need: the rooms were immaculate with generous amenities; the food was exceptional, the setting, absolutely charming, historical and elegantly rustic.
My daughter had the wedding of her dreams, thanks to The Woods Inn. I will be forever grateful for their hospitality and graciousness. I would recommend The Woods Inn Inn to if you if you MUST have it all, like we did, and everything MUST be perfect, priced reasonably; in addition, be given the assurance that you and your guests will be treated like royalty; we couldn't be happier.

Room Tip: You will find many amazing rooms, in various areas of the INN; we particularly like the ones upstair...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca H
Commack
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We just came back from a Columbus Day weekend at the Woods Inn. Yes it is an older building but it is also warm, cozy and homey. It has a lovely restaurant with good food. The tavern was lively with great music. Their living room has a cable TV. They also have a game room with a foosball and pool table. Next door was an independent boat rental facility if you wanted to get out on the lake. There are lots of hiking trails nearby. The best is the porch, lawn and new boat dock overlooking beautiful 4th lake. The innkeepers were friendly and accommodating. The Woods Inn in Inlet, NY is a great meeting place in the middle of the Adirondacks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inlet
Great Pines
Clark's Beach Motel
Clark's Beach Motel
#10 of 12 in Old Forge
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc

Been to The Woods Inn? Share your experiences!