“Adirondacks Old World Charm and Hospitality”
Review of The Woods Inn

The Woods Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Inlet
Reviewed 4 July 2014

If you are looking for a pristine, modern, 5 star luxury, totally lacking in soul, chain hotel, don't choose the Woods Inn. If, on the other hand, you are delighted, rather than turned off, by quirkiness, you will love it. We were slightly disappointed to be told, on arrival, that breakfast would not be available, as we were one week too early for the high season. The warmth of the welcome was, however, encouraging. Our room was lovely and provided with a fan to ease the initial stuffiness. Our son's room, which adjoined the children's twin bedded room, had air conditioning, but, despite this was excessively warm in the night.
Apart from this, we could not have found a more hospitable venue. It was just what we had hoped for; pure homestead hospitality from beginning to end. All rooms had a coffee filter machine, supplied with good quality coffee. A pity about the wasteful packs of creamer, sugar, saccharine etc, but they seem to be standard fare in the USA and Canada . High quality coffee, let down by artificial milk.
The evening meal, on the other hand was delicious, home made and totally "real". We were served by the delightful Nancy, who couldn't have done more to make us feel at home and comfortable. The owner, Joanne, also took a real interest in the children and went out of her way to share with them a sighting of a most unusual moth. Colouring materials were also provided and restocked whenever necessary.
Lunches were not being served either, but Joanne invited us to picnic on the deck, providing us with plates, cutlery, butter and a complementary beer.
Even the weather seemed to be conspiring to give us an unforgettable experience, providing us with sunny days to swim, kayak and fish and a spectacular thunderstorm to admire in the evening.
This was our first ever US visit. I am ashamed to say I have spent 63 prejudiced years claiming that I had no desire to visit the States. These few days in the Adirondacks proved me totally wrong. I love it, and loved the people, and I especially loved the Woods Inn. Thank you to everyone who made our stay so special.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jakki M

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We just got back from a three night stay in the guide tent which is steps from Fourth Lake. The guide tents here are as close to "camping" as I will ever get with still providing the Adirondack experience. Where else can you rent a tent with a queen size bed and private bathhouse? And being steps away from the lake means you get to be lulled to sleep by the waves and awakened by the birds chirping. The property is beautiful with a huge wrap around porch to sit on and a ton of Adirondack style chairs by the water, as well as a nice long dock to walk out and sit at the end of - if you can't relax here there is a problem! You are also steps away from the charming village of Inlet. Not only does the Woods Inn provide Adirondack style accommodations, but the amenities and hospitality are what truly gives this place an excellent rating in my opining. We ate in both the tavern and the restaurant and also had a chance to try the $6pp breakfast buffet - and all were outstanding. We had low expectations of the food given the location - let's be honest - the Adirondacks are not known for fine dining - BUT - in the tavern we had some of the best wings we've ever had and the burger was great too. The breakfast was perfect for the price - three hot items with breads, cereal, fruits, yogurts - AND the OJ and coffee are included - this isn't a $6 plus the cost of your beverage buffet like at some other places. And our dinner in the restaurant upstairs was great as well - huge selection of unique and standard type items which tasted great. Now for the best part - the service! The owners are great and truly make you feel at home, especially Joedda. One of the nights of our stay was quite chilly and she offered to move us into the Inn, which we did not take advantage of, but it was still a great offer. We also spent some time talking with her about her background and her restoration of the Inn and her love for the place was evident. Kelly, the bartender, was great and had a way of making us feel like locals which is probably why we ended up in the Tavern all three nights of our stay and feeling comfortable doing so even when we were the only two in the place. She also pointed us in the right direction for hiking and kayaking which was the main focus of our trip. I can't forget to mention Connie who has an onsite kayak/canoe rental and sales facility on site - the Frisky Otter. Connie was amazing and told us about some great kayak sites, she also was a lot of fun to chat with and has a pretty cool dog, Shelby. My only criticism would be an agreement with others who mentioned the place could use a good cleaning....however; this is the Adirondacks and I imagine you could sweep and scrub all day without being able to keep the place clean....which lends to the charm and authenticity of a true Adirondack camp. All in all The Woods Inn provided exactly what we were looking for - three nights of relaxation and nature - all in a beautiful setting with great staff.

Room Tip: Try the guide tent for a real Adirondack experience
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Check out the guide tents at the Woods Inn in Inlet, New York where our sleep was disturbed only by peepers, birds, and the gentle lapping of waves on the shore of Fourth Lake within a short stroll of quaint “downtown” Inlet, New York. A gentle rain in the morning added to the charm of the surroundings.

Innkeepers Jay and Joedda go to great lengths to assure the comfort of their guests where the size of the tents are so generous they easily accommodate a queen size bed, Adirondack chair, footstool, armoire, desk, trunk, and end tables. Electric heaters and fans are included.
Adjacent to the tent’s front porch (two more Adirondack chairs) was the privy which is constructed by sturdy rough logs and had a two headed shower, benches, and granite counter tops!

After enjoying a drink in the Inn’s tavern, I recommend that you take advantage of dinner at the Woods Inn. And, don’t miss the $6 buffet breakfast in the dining room or on the back porch with its terrific view of Fourth Lake.

This old inn’s expansive lawn is filled with more Adirondack chairs and spills down to the lake and its boat dock that attacks happy hour and dinner guests as well as fisherpeople who wish to try their luck with rod and reel. If interested in something more venturesome, rent a kayak or canoe from the Frisky Otter (on premises) where Connie will properly outfit you with all the right gear and equipment.

Pass on the guide tent if you prefer smaller accommodations and the more traditional feel of an inn. But, seriously consider a guide tent if you want a delightful change of pace that is in the spirit of the history of the Adirondacks and without the inconvenience of roughing it.

Room Tip: There are only three guide tents at the Woods Inn, so make a reservation well in advance of your tra...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here over Valentine's Day weekend in February. The food was excellent for breakfast and dinner. Our first night we arrived quite late, but the owner held a place for us for dinner when I called ahead and said we would be getting in late. I thought that was considerate. The waitresses were very pleasant. The owners were very nice as well. The location is as optimal as you can get in the Adirondacks - right on the eastern edge of Fourth Lake. It was centrally located to all the hikes we had planned. There is certainly plenty to do there to keep busy. With that being said, our room did not look like the pictures, apart from the fact that there is a whirlpool tub in it. Some cleaning would be in order. The bathrooms and dining areas were very clean, but most of the hallways and our room were quite musty. There was dog feces outside our door in the hallway the second morning when we left. We thought it was more funny than gross, but that's something that shouldn't happen. The upstairs floors are quite slanted to the point of noticing it when you lie down on a bed, but the building must be 100+ years old and the Adirondack winters wreak havoc on the settling of buildings.The bartender downstairs was very nasty to me for no reason. She scowled at me when I asked for two Blue Lights. I had no idea why. Maybe it was because we were the youngest people there by 15 years and she thought we were under age? However, after we produced ids , the scowling persisted. Either way, her demeanor was unacceptable to me. Staying anywhere in the Adirondacks is expensive so you get what you pay for. My girlfriend and I had a lot of fun on our weekend trip, I would probably go back again - but we will not being going to the bar. Service would get 5 stars from me if it weren't for the bartender. The service apart was her was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Adkinnkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at The Woods Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Robert,

I'm glad to hear that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay at The Woods Inn. We are passionate about the Adirondack setting and ensuring that our Inn continues to provide the most comfortable, enjoyable, relaxing, and fun stay people could want in the Adirondacks. We encourage you to come back!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights in this wonderful old inn. The owners and staff made us feel like we had known them for years. We wanted a place to stay to take advantage of snowshoeing on some of our favorite trails, and this was perfect. I loved the fact that they kept it looking like turn of the century with the decor, and added some nice modern touches to the rooms. The morning breakfast was a one price buffet, and it was just what we needed to hike for the morning. We ate in the tavern one evening and shared lobster mac and cheese and a panini. Very tasty! We look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: The top two floors with the rooms facing the lake were fantastic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have come to this wonderful home away from home for a number of years to go snowmobiling with my friends. Each and everytime we are welcomed like we were just there yesterday. Beyond the great historic restoration and rooms that are always ready and clean, the food is some of the best I have ever had, and that view is shared by everyone I have been there with me. I dont write reviews much, but this is far and beyond the best experience and well worth the trip for a couple or a group. This year we were with 8 others and the owners were very able to accomodate all of us, and really made for a great trip. We are all trying to get back later this year, and I wont stay anywhere else. Freindly and Fantastic!

Room Tip: quieter on south side if you go in the winter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GregMan123
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Found this place on trip advisor after snowmobiling all day went on all the good reviews and found it to be excellent the owners were very nice nice atmosphere easy to get there on snowmobile .i had lamb shank was very good .friend had chicken pot pie he said same thing .will go back in a few weeks

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank outside1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inlet
Great Pines
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay
Long View Lodge
Long View Lodge
#4 of 5 in Long Lake

Been to The Woods Inn? Share your experiences!