“Very good service in a small inexpensive Inn”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manila, Philippines
“Very good service in a small inexpensive Inn”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were here for just one night. We came in very late almost 11pm and they were ready for us. The hotel is non descript. Typical quaint Motor inn type appearance with double loaded rooms on one floor. The small lobby is well decorated with a homey cottage appearance. Location is a bit off downtown in one of the roads approaching Ithaca. It really is very well located for visiting Ithaca College. They had a 24/7 coffee refreshments bar with cookies and brownies for guests.

The room was very spacious, in fact it was basically a small suite with an anteroom with a fold out queen bed and a bed room with 2 full queen sized beds. Design was a bit older but nothing was out of place and it was spotlessly clean. The room had 2 big flat screen tvs on the wall. And bedroom door could be closed so as to shut out the noise from the living room. Perfect for big families with the kids outside the bedroom watching their cartoons while the adults watch something else.

A breakfast buffet was included and this included, hot entrees, a waffle station, etc. All in all quite a spread for a such a place.

I can highly recommend this place, it had one of the lower prices in the area yet far exceeded my expectations for the 1 night.

Room Tip: Get the rooms facing the back as these face away from the highways so there is less chance of noise...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks for visiting us in Ithaca and taking the time to review us. I;m so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our suites spacious. They truly are the largest in Ithaca! Cleanliness and comfort is very important to us as well as service! So glad you visited. Come back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Reserved a suite at the Country Inn & Suites in Ithaca, New York two years prior to Cornell's 2014 graduation weekend (supply and demand has created quite an opportunity for local hotels with increased rates, crazy lotteries, etc....). Despite the cost, we were highly impressed with our room, location, and the customer service provided during our three night stay. Clean room, extremely comfortable beds, quiet evenings, morning breakfasts, and a friendly and professional staff. I'd highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again although our visits to Ithaca are probably over now that our graduate has moved on to a job in Chicago. If you're coming for graduation weekend, be sure you make reservations far in advance and that includes dinner reservations at local restaurants (Joe's, Moosewood, and The Heights are excellent!)

Room Tip: Be sure to visit the Taughannock Falls, just a twenty minute drive away from the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MjCg2013
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
We thank you for giving us the opportunity to share in such a special weekend with you! It has been our pleasure serving you and if you do find yourself back in Ithaca (to reminisce perhaps) pleae do come stay with us again.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at the Country Inn for two nights in mid-May, while attending a few activities at the very nearby Ithaca College. So the location was perfect - of course it would have been nice to stay downtown, but Ithaca's hotel rates are in my opinion ridiculously expensive - The Country Inn was very reasonable (approx $100 a night before taxes, MUCH better than any but a few really not-so-nice places in town) and did pretty well in Booking.com reviews, so I booked it.

The staff was a bit busy when I was checking in, possibly understaffed a tad? But very friendly and welcoming. I had a short wait until my room was ready, and during that time I sat in the small but accommodating lobby. When I walked through the door of my room I found it roomy but drab, rather plain and old-fashioned - no safe, no mini-bar (which was fine as I never use them, overpriced as they are). And then I looked in the corner of the room next to the smallish bathroom and found...a jacuzzi! I don't do jacuzzi's even when in company and as I was staying there alone it struck me as a bit funny - and an odd juxtaposition given the dull room in which it was situated.

Breakfast is included in the room-rate - The hotel seems to copy the Hampton Inn chain it its breakfast, as well as the cookies on offer at the coffee area in the lobby (no apples however, which is a pity), but the result is a tad less appealing than with Hampton Inns. Like breakfasts in that chain there was a choice of hot foods, though they seemed more fast-food-ish than the items the Hampton Inns offer, you could make your own waffles and there was hot oatmeal, though a bit watery for my taste. Their selection of pastries was lacking as well, and there was less fruit available than I'd have liked.

I must say that I eat early, and the Country Inns starts serving at 6 am - which is a plus - I think I just drew a poor time to be there, as both mornings there was a large group of workmen (installers of greenish energy, from what I could discern) who were loud and brash and "good-ole-boy" which I certainly am not. So for me breakfast was not so pleasant as it might have been - and I am pretty sure this was a special situation, so I'd not expect it if you decide to stay there.

I would have given this four green circles rather than three except for the breakfast and the oddness of my room. But it is a very good bargain in a very expensive two-college town!

Room Tip: I was in a room on the ground floor that looked out on the front parking lot and route 96 B - the go...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DottoreGianni
Thanks for your review and feedback. We are well worth the price paid and as you discovered the jacuzzi tub in your room, we treated you to an upgrade, so the room was quite a bit larger than the one reserved. We get a large variety of guests that are in town for varied reasons but there is always a quiet corner in our pool area or lobby. We appreciate your feedback and visit with us.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a pleasant one night stay about 10 days ago. Limited interaction with the staff, but those at the front desk that we dealt with, were friendly. Both check-in and check-out quick and simple. Room was relatively clean except for a few long strands of hair on the stand in front of the TV. We were in the front of the building and my wife said she could hear road traffic during the night. Small but well maintained fitness room with True machines. I did not use the pool. The scrambled eggs at breakfast were hot and tasty. Everything else were your standard breakfast items. We enjoyed the fresh cookies, but they were out in the morning. I would stay here again and would recommend this location to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the building away from the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thanks for the review of your recent stay. We do try our hardest to maintain a clean property and your feedback has given us an area of improvement. Road noise seems to be a distraction for some, but luckily in the evenings our main road is not heavily traveled. We do hope you get the opportunity to return to our area as we would love to host you once again.
Washingtonville, NY
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Very close to the campus. Clean, comfortable and quiet rooms. Good breakfast included. Beds were quite comfortable. Staff pleasant and had a supply of toiletries available if you forgot something . Didn't use the indoor pool but it looked nice.

There's a gas station/mini-mart right across the road.

What more do you need? Oh, almost forgot the free cookies at check in desk!

We will be back .

Stayed April 2014
gmibobroff, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We couldn't agree more! We are the best place for an Ithaca College visit! Our location is convenient and quiet! Thanks for staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed our baked fresh daily cookies!
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The positive: Great location to Ithaca College, attractive exterior, friendly staff, large suite with a door separating the bedroom and living room, clean room and bathroom, breakfast (though limited) was included, comfortable bed in bedroom.

The negative: The lobby and hallway smelled very bad (like a BO smell), pullout sofa bed had dirty sheets on it and was uncomfortable, the rooms on the front side of the hotel (where we stayed) you could hear a lot of street noise all night long, no bottles of water in the room, duvet covers should have sheets over them, not sure how often they are changed.

This hotel has a lot of potential since it is new and is in a great location, it just needs some improvements.

Room Tip: Stay in the back side of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry to see you didn't give us rave reviews, but it certainly gives us something to work with. We have addressed the stale smell and with Spring here, how nice it is to open windows up and freshen the entire building. We have added a padded mattress to the sofa beds to increase their comfort and have new procedures in place to ensure the sheets are cleaned daily. New corporate specs are including new bed covers with sheets! Just what you asked for.
Hudson Valley, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before. I would still give it 5 stars. The staff are nice, the suites are fantastic and roomy. I had some trouble sleeping, and it was great that I could sit and read in the living room area, without disturbing my husband, who was sleeping. The only thing that disappointed me this time, was the shortage of protein choices in the breakfast area. The only hot items we saw that day were these pre-made breakfast sandwiches (Jimmy Dean, I think?), or make-your-own waffles. I don't eat pork, so the sandwiches did not work for me (they contained bacon, I think, or was it sausage?). I like to eat some protein with my breakfast, instead of just carbs, so I was disappointed in the choices, personally. Otherwise, this hotel continues to be lovely, and we expect to be back.
Also, as an aside, this time we took time to see the nearby Buttermilk Falls, which were very impressive!

Room Tip: I've noticed that some rooms have more noise from the nearby road, than other rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
There baaacccckkkkk! thanks for your feedback. We are now serving scrambled eggs and meat every day in addition to a daily rotating hot item. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and we look forward to hosting you again.