“An Unpleasant Surprise” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thomas Farm Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Thomas Farm Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Adams
“An Unpleasant Surprise”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Did a lot of research and liked what I saw, so I made a reservation for 2 nights during a wedding weekend celebration. Was told on a written confirmation that their son would be there to welcome us any time after 4PM. Imagine our surpirse when we arrived at 4:15 to find NOBODY there.....not a car, not a person, not a note! We waited a while, then knocked on the door, then tried the door and found it open. We called "hello" and nobody answered, so we went back to the car and called and left a message that we were at a loss for what to do, since we were supposed to be at a party at 6PM , so we were going to look for another place to stay. After making call after call to find lodging (on a friday night during peak foliage season) we were heading to another B&B, at 4:45, when we got a call from the son who was supposed to be there for us. He said that "school ran late, and I didn't know you were coming so early" I explained that we needed to be somewhere and since we didn't know when or IF someone would show up, we booked at another place. We told him to make sure we weren't charged a cancellation fee, and he assured us that he'd take full responsibility for the whole mess. When I mentioned to him that his mother said they lived "on site" he told us that she and his father were on vacation (wish we had known that.....who was going to make our breakfast???)
One week later......I made a call to tell them how dissapointed I was about the way they ran their business, and they said they were sorry as well....that we couldn't wait for someone to come home. AND.....they told us that the door was open, they were expecting us, and our name was on the bedroom door, and we should have just come in and found the room. I replied that I was not comfortable wandering through someone's home looking for the room that I'm supposed to be in. Anyway.....not much of an apology from the owners...they made it sound like it was our fault that things didn't work out.They even told us that we should have said we had someplace to be, and some other arrangements would have been made. I was not under the impression that as a guest, I had to tell them my itinerary, and besides......it was after 4, and someone was supposed to be there.
IF I had know all of these things right away, it might have been a different story (although I'm still a little disturbed that the doors to the place were unlocked and nobody was home)
So....my advice is to ask all kinds of questions before you book a room, because you never know what you're going to find (or NOT find) when you get there.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank paramom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Highland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

We just checked out of the Thomas Farm Bed & Breakfast must say that we were very satisfied. We were in Ithaca for a College visit to Cornell. It was just my 17 year-old son and myself. We stayed in Renee's Room which has a queen bed and a loft with another bed. The room was charming and the bed comfortable. There were only two small deficiencies with the room. 1. The area where the lofted bed is can be quite warm on warm days. Unfortunately the air-conditioning doesn't quite do the job to cool that high area. 2. There is only a bathtub for bathing. There is a shower available for use if you want to go downstairs to use it.
The innkeepers are super friendly. It was pouring rain the day we went to visit Cornell so they loaned us one of their umbrellas. Also, all the rooms were sold out two of the nights that we were there and we all had breakfast together in morning. There was a total of ten of us and everyone was friendly and interesting to talk with while we sat at a family style table.
The food was delicious. The first morning we had scrambled eggs, sausage and hashbrowns, the second quiche and the third french toast with berries. Also, every morning there was fresh fruit and either muffins or tea breads.
One final comment is that we were very pleasantly surprised to find that they had wireless internet available!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Hpmicks
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

My wife and 2-year-old daughter stayed in Annie's room for a weekend in June. Kirk is an excellent innkeeper and made our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Breakfast was fantastic each morning. The property is beautiful and expansive. I went wading in the creek with my daugher, watched the woodchucks run around on the hill, marveled at the thousands of lightingbugs in the evening, and enjoyed the great view of the stars at night. At first my wife and I were concerned about the distance from Ithaca and Cornell (about 6 miles), but it was a quick and scenic drive, and one that conveniently passed 6-mile creek winery (worth visiting). The tranquil setting and the peace and quiet made the distance from downtown well worth it. We found our place to stay whenever we come to Ithaca. Thank you, Kirk, for an excellent weekend!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Back_to_Mayreau
New York City, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

What a lovely spot! A group of us rented out 4 of the rooms for a weekend and we couldn't have been happier. The rooms are gorgeous and the setting is beautiful, out in the country and yet only 5 minutes from downtown Ithaca. The hosts were warm and very welcoming - we were there with 3 kid between us all and Edie brought out toys and made special fun breakfasts for them. We sat out on the porch at night and listened to the frogs and woke up to watch the birds in the nearby creek. BIG recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank figure8
Plano, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2008

Glen, Edie and their son Kirk are among the warmest people you will meet and are also very kind hosts. The history of their house, established 1850, is fascinating and a book with clippings/pictures is available for interested guests. The Farmhouse is located in a valley surrounded by picturesque forests and hills and is only a few miles outside of the city of Ithaca and the south east corner of Cornell University.

We didn’t feel like we were ever that far away from restaurants, the commons, or any of the Cornell Reunion events we were attending. Not once did we ever feel like we were missing out by not booking a different hotel near the campus, city or lake.

Breakfast was consistently a jovial affair and very tasty, consisting of juice, coffee or tea, fresh fruit, freshly baked pastries (scones, bagels, muffins, etc) and a main entree of egg/ mushroom frittata or french toast. Edie artfully arranged garnishes of edible flowers and herbs that she personally grew. My husband loved her coffee, and that’s saying a lot as he is particular about coffee. Breakfast was presented on a lovely set table with cute touches such as antique sugar spoons and creamers. Serving time is between 8-9am and all guests eat together once they arrive. I know that some people on Tripadvisor don’t want to eat with other guests during specific times but I’ve never understood why these folks book rooms at B&B’s. The reasons we prefer bed and breakfast establishments are the family-like setting and meeting new people. At Thomas Farm we experienced both in enjoyable ways.

We reserved the Edith Thomas Parlor suite located on the first floor of the house. Decorated with antiques like a gramophone and a profusion of crochet doilies, the room felt as if my grandmother had just stepped out. The bed is firm with very soft down pillows. The bathroom is small with a shower only, but is stocked with soft and fluffy towels as well as several toiletries available for guests’ use; a relief for light packers like us. My only recommendation to our hosts would be to add a medicine cabinet behind the mirror in the bathroom. Flat space to store personal items was a bit scarce. When the weather turned hot, Glen and Kirk quickly installed an a/c window unit in our room. Like many older homes, the Thomas Farm B&B does not have central air. Our room temperature was always comfortable and the way we wanted it.

The kitchenette has a full size refrigerator, an oven/stove, sink, microwave and a door that opens onto the back deck. At night, we would sit out on the porch, drink wine, look at stars, and inhale the refreshing country air. During the day, the window over the sink gave us charming views of the birdfeeders and chipmunks. Edie was kind enough to point out the two birds nests close to the front porch whose occupant’s progress we checked on several times a day; while we were there the chicks went from hairless gray blobs to little birds with feathers and insatiable hunger.

There is a TV in the common family room, though none in the rooms themselves (we didn’t miss it during our week’s stay). Wireless Internet was available and worked just fine.

The whole experience was very comfortable and homelike. By the time our visit had come to an end we felt we had known the house, our room, and our hosts for most of our lives. I have to say we felt a bit spoiled and will most likely set Thomas Farm as our new B&B benchmark to which all others will be compared.

• Liked — The Hosts, beautiful house and tasty breakfast!!
  • Disliked — nothing- it was great
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)