“Not that bad”
Review of Trip Hotel Ithaca

Trip Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed at this Clarion the night of February 8, 2013. It is not as bad as some of the reviews indicate. It is in need of upgrading, especially the lobby and hallways. The room was fine, clean and everything worked. Some reviews were concerned about safety of the location. I didn't see a problem. It is off I-81 in a commercial location. Strip malls nearby, an Appleby's, Friendly's and McDonald's not far away. Nothing made us feel unsafe. it has a decent free breakfast. Certainly not a place to go for a vacation, but if you need someplace to sleep overnight it is fine. it was well worth the Hotwire price of $68.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Trip Hotel Ithaca

Reviewed 30 January 2013

To be honest I have not even stayed at this place yet but judging by the look of it I won't be staying there. Hotwire calls this place a 3 star, same rating a Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn. So when I booked through Hotwire I thought it would be one of the previously mentioned hotels downtown. When this place came up I looked it up on Trip Advisor and low and behold it is ranked 18 out of 18 in Ithaca and the pictures don't lie.
I called Hotwire to complain but the were completely unhelpful.
Thanks Hotwire you just stole $150 from me!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Canuk24
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is an awful hotel; outdated, scary, and in a horrible location. I felt extremely unsafe staying here. The first room they gave me was littered with grime, dirt, and renovation materials. The second, on the lower level next to the parking lot, was located down a dark, dingy hallway that I felt I'd be attacked from at any second. After multiple, unsatisfactory calls to Hotwire to express my concerns, I checked out. The front desk clerk didn't even bat an eye when I left, as she was smoking out front with friends, and by every indication from her, this kind of thing is a common occurrence. How this place is still operating, I've no idea.

Hotwire should be ashamed that they are offering this hotel at a 3 star rating. What a joke. Please use caution and stay away from this place. I've never written a review of a hotel on a site like this before but my disgust and concern from my brief stay here inspired me to do so.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Period.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank starwatcher9
Reviewed 30 November 2012

If you didn't know that this was the hotel your booking was at, you'd think it was deserted. The outside is in shambles, and if you had a low-profile car, you wouldn't be able to drive through the parking lot because it is so awful and full of pot holes. The room was not much better, with wallpaper pealing, drywall starting to come off in the corners, even the floor was lumpy. The shower head leaked and only 1 of the settings worked. The ONLY bright spots were the front desk girl, Emily, was was extremely helpful and check-in and getting a fax sent, and the mattress was actually pretty comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank nicelynicely02
Reviewed 5 November 2012

At first sight, curb appeal was the first warning to me that this place was not up to my standards. The outside was not cared for. The siding and style was reminiscent of the 1950's and looked like it hadn't been cared for since then. Lobby was fine and inviting enough. When we were directed to our room, I became a bit more wary. We entered in the " CourtYard " area to get to the room. Hallways were a nauseating pink color and the ceilings were stained from obvious water leaks. After settling in, we wanted to check out the pool, Upon opening the door, there was an obvious musty mildewy smell. To top that off, The roof was leaking right into the pool. My only thought was what kind bacteria from the roof, was dripping into the pool. ( bird droppings, etc. ) I wouldn't advise anyone to swim in it. I felt like contacting the Department of Public Health. Additionally, I found that the Sheets had an overwhelming bleach smell. I know, working in the health field that bleach can irritate people's skin. Please be careful about this. Breakfast presentation was ok. The Hot food was on the cool side. Please consider my review before booking at this hotel.

Room Tip: Should be a $50 a nite place. Not worth the cost
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dillershe
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I was not really inpressed with the hotel but at 02:30 a.m. when I attempted to pack the safe woudn't open. The Front Desk(She) first gave me a lecture on how to open the safe and after explaining I travel often and never had this problem, she explains to me she never had this problem and I would have to wait for her relief at 7 a.m. for help. After finally falling asleep, at 0551 she shows up with a handyman that could not open the safe. He finally comes back alone, opens it then wants to explain what he would have to do after I left to fix it. Luckily for me I did not have an early flight to catch. No one ever apologized!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Arnaldo C
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I was a little apprehensive about staying here given all the bad reviews but it was the only place we could get for a price that wasn't out of sight. We stayed there one night in August 2012 on Cornell's dormitory move-in day. Most of the hotels wanted you to stay 3 nights and they wanted way too much.

The Clarion looks aweful from the outside, primarily because the parking lot is in desparate need of repaving. We were given a room in the back building on the second floor. It had a King Bed and was one of the cleanest, most comfortable rooms I've ever stayed in. It was very well furnished. We were not able to stay for breakfast as we had other plans, but we popped into the breakfast area before we left just to see what they had. It was a full buffet and looked surprisingly good. We noted that the hote has an indoor pool also. It's close to a mall and a few eateries and is also just a couple of miles from Cornell's North Campus. If they could just fix the parking lot and maybe put up a fence it would look a whole lot nicer!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family