“A bit of a struggle, unless you're very fit”

Robert Treman State Park
Ranked #1 of 64 things to do in Ithaca
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I should preface this by saying that my husband and I are in our 70s. However, we are healthy and exercise regularly, including daily walking.

The swimming area was closed on the day we were there. We walked out to and back from the swimming area, a fairly short, level path. It was pleasant, and we were able to see the falls where the swimming area is located.

The Rim Trail was also closed, so we took the Gorge Trail.
The man at the entrance booth had warned that there were "quite a few" steps. That did not begin to describe our climb through the woods. He did not tell us that it is also very steep.

It had rained heavily the night before, and the sun had not dried the ground of this heavily shaded path.

The steps, where they existed, consisted of a 3x3 shoring up dirt, which had, in places, once been covered with macadam. The remaining macadam was frequently coated with a light growth of moss. In the dampness of the day, those areas became very slick.

The dirt areas of the steps had become sunken in. If I placed my foot in that area, rather than on the 3x3, I could climb. If I placed my foot on the 3x3, I had to manage a balancing act.

Often, the preferred place to walk was at the side of the "steps" Even though there was some gravel, these areas were typically less slippery and easier to navigate than the steps.

I don't know whether we made it to the top of the ridge. However, after struggling for about 25 minutes and becoming very tired, we gave up and returned to our car.

In short, we cannot recommend the Gorge path to anyone who is not in excellent condition. Even so, we passed two groups of younger people coming back along the trail who told us that they, too, found the trip very rigorous.

1  Thank Nancy W
There are newer reviews for Robert Treman State Park

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Loved this hike, it was the perfect way to start a day. Not too strenuous, but by the time you get to the top of the steps for the view of the falls from above, you're bound to have broken a sweat. I think it was 4 miles round trip, not including the steps. Great photo opportunities and the lucifer falls were spectacular. Surprisingly non-buggy, which is always a good thing! I hate mosquitos!

Would have loved to check out the swimming area, but it was closed due to storms the previous day.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful park.

We had site E003 and it was decent. Some other sites looked a lot less private. We stayed late early August.

The park near our campsite was awesome and our 5yr old could not get enough of it.

We drove to the top of the gorge and visited the mill and trails - beautiful.

Was disappointed that the upper gorge trail is closed past the bridge and the swimming hole was closed due to water quality :(

Also, a note for trailers. The dumping station is right on the road and you have to get your water from one of the spigots on other campsites (if yours happens to be far away - like ours was) I think we found a spigot close to the road around site 24.

1  Thank APNF
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Don't miss Lucifer Falls, or the Gorge Trail. Accomplishable by my 8 year old child. Lucifer Fall is beautiful, especially if you wade through water to go right under the 100+ feet waterfall. The Gorge Trail is closed right now for the "Upper Rim", but that's the most beautiful part - if you go back when it's finished. Right on the cliff edge. Overall, just beautiful.

1  Thank Family_of_4PGH
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I absolutely love Robert Treman State Park! I forget between visits how beautiful it is. Went there Saturday with my daughter and granddaughter. My granddaughter had a ball. She even went off the diving board....a first for her! Even though they said the water was cold, they both enjoyed themselves immensely. They got to swim and hang out near the bottom of one of the waterfalls.

Part of the upper trails are closed for construction, but you can still walk along beautiful parts of the gorge. In my opinion, the upper portion is the nicest for walking (although it's even better when the entire trail is open), but the swimming portion at the lower falls is really nice, too. You just have to walk quite a way from the parking lot to the swimming area.

2  Thank cgbingo