“Great Day Trip”

Robert Treman State Park
Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Ithaca
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We chose to drive here for a day hike and some swimming because it is nearby, and we had heard lots of positive things from other families with kids. The trails were clearly marked, and the information posted was helpful. Parking was easy and comfort facilities were clean. The kids had a great time, and although the diving area was closed that day, they enjoyed the smaller swimming area.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

This was our fourth park in three days during our visit to the area. The park has two entrances or you can hike through and back, but expect 2 plus miles each way. The gorge trail is closed for repair ( I believe a previous post had it reversed) but the rim trail will take you to a bridge that connects you to a portion of the Gorge trail that is open. Portions of these trails are steep and require some effort. The staircase from the the rim trail is, lets say a workout. Overall a nice place to visit.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This park has a great gorge trail but the trail is closed and in need of repair. New York State underfunds the park system so there is not likely to be repairs any time soon.

1  Thank keith46er
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The campground was nice but noisy with people and barking dogs. I can't understand why people bring dogs that won't stop barking! The surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. The bathrooms were nice and clean-ish with hot showers and good pressure.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I should preface this by saying that my husband and I are in our 70s. However, we are healthy and exercise regularly, including daily walking.

The swimming area was closed on the day we were there. We walked out to and back from the swimming area, a fairly short, level path. It was pleasant, and we were able to see the falls where the swimming area is located.

The Rim Trail was also closed, so we took the Gorge Trail.
The man at the entrance booth had warned that there were "quite a few" steps. That did not begin to describe our climb through the woods. He did not tell us that it is also very steep.

It had rained heavily the night before, and the sun had not dried the ground of this heavily shaded path.

The steps, where they existed, consisted of a 3x3 shoring up dirt, which had, in places, once been covered with macadam. The remaining macadam was frequently coated with a light growth of moss. In the dampness of the day, those areas became very slick.

The dirt areas of the steps had become sunken in. If I placed my foot in that area, rather than on the 3x3, I could climb. If I placed my foot on the 3x3, I had to manage a balancing act.

Often, the preferred place to walk was at the side of the "steps" Even though there was some gravel, these areas were typically less slippery and easier to navigate than the steps.

I don't know whether we made it to the top of the ridge. However, after struggling for about 25 minutes and becoming very tired, we gave up and returned to our car.

In short, we cannot recommend the Gorge path to anyone who is not in excellent condition. Even so, we passed two groups of younger people coming back along the trail who told us that they, too, found the trip very rigorous.

1  Thank Nancy W