“Great hiking” 4 of 5 bubbles

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Great hiking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Me (47M) wife (42F) and two kids (9G, 8B) hiked the gorge trail. Awesome scenic views of the gorge, the stream that runs through it, and the handful of waterfalls you'll see. You can walk into the stream and swim (or just skip stones) in any number of places. Pretty strenuous but really only first quarter mile (straight up, pretty steep) was bad. There is a great swimming hole here (with diving board etc) but it was closed the day we were there due to water quality issues. Also noted that the camping area looks quite nice. Note there is a fee to park, but if you arrive before the open of the park you can just drive right in and no fee is required.

3 Thank HankF99

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Rented a house on Cayuga Lake and went to several NYS parks, This was definitely on top of the list. We visited this state park last during our weeklong stay at the end of August 2009 and I wished we came here first. The gorge hike was awe inspiring. Wonderful swimming hole at bottom of trail with lifeguards, drove to upper trail and hiked 1/2 way down. WOW, I can't describe the wonderfulness of that trail. Felt like we were in another country. Magical. The trail was mostly steps and built in early 1900's?, This was definitely a treat. There are places to cool down & swim. (at your own risk) . Bring your own food/drinks. no vendors. Trail not recommended for small children. Make sure you take all your trash out! Let's keep this pristine for our children. This park has camping facilities, although we came for the afternoon.

4 Thank junybee
New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Swimming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

Stooped hear on a hot summer trip. It was crowded but my kids (ages 3 to 15) loved it. At the bottom of the falls is an old fashioned swimming hole with a diving board and rock face to climb across.

2 Thank njulrichs
New Jersey
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“beautifal natural pool under the falls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

My husband and I visited the Robert Treman park with our two children, 4 and 2. The lower fall is very easily accessible from the parking lot. The natural swimming pool at the bottom of the fall is beautiful. There are life guards on duty. There is a diving board and also a section of shallow water (2 ft) for children. Unfortunately, when we visited, the water temperature was too cold for us (<60). This was probably because it had been raining for a few days and we visited quite early in the morning. The bathroom near the pool is clean.

Since we are with 2 young children, we were advised not to walk the trail from the lower fall. We drove to the upper fall. We didn't know how long or how hard the trail to upper fall is for the children. I am really glad we went. We walked about a quarter of a mile, and wow, it is beautiful! We didn't walk the whole trail, just saw the falls. My four year old had no problem doing all the trails. And my 2 year old needed some carrying from time to time. But all in all, it's easy trail for family with kids.

If I had to compare this to Watkins Glen, I'd rate them about the same. Robert Treman has more beautiful waterfalls. Watkins Glen is more about the gorge. I would place this in front of Taughannock Falls, which is also nearby.

9 Thank Aurora09