“Nice ambiance, some really good dishes”

Mia Tapas Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 268 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Mia restaurant features fine cuisine from many Asian countries in a unique and beautiful atmosphere. At Mia we offer an eclectic menu and when available we pride ourselves in using local produce, sustainably harvested seafood, and hormone & antibiotic free meats for our Slow Food Pan-Asian cuisine.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Same guy who opened Just a Taste (among many other Ithaca restaurants). An Asia fusion restaurant that has an ambitious menu. Great ambiance (I can definitely see it as a great date night option). The dahl dish was phenomenal. Skip the green papaya salad. So much on the menu to keep it interesting. Definitely worth a repeat.

1  Thank StuckOnTravels
There are newer reviews for Mia Tapas Bar and Restaurant

Reviewed 29 April 2014

A great thing about tapas is that you can try lots of different things at one sitting. We shared six dishes and they were all very good. The drinks were very good. I enjoyed a flight of 3 different sakes, all tasty.
A scallop dish in a wonton wrap was my favorite.

1  Thank Fauxqui
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've been to Ithaca six times in eight mos. First trip I ate at Mia two nites in a row - 2nd becoz it was their "tasting dinner". On previous visits I would have given five stars on all accounts. Tonight, I was disappointed (I volunteer to come to Ithaca for work, just to eat dinner). The service was "crap" - primarily because the waiter was inattentive to the point of being rude. I judge waiters to some extent based on how full my wine glass is - if it goes empty, it's a problem; tonight I had to call the waiter back as he wondered off past me. When I responded to the ? how was my dinner, I stated it was dry but generally okay - I received NO response whatsoever. I ordered from the tapas menu, which I have not previouisly done. While the beet salad was very good (particular the candied ginger), the quail tandoori was horribly dry and the pork tenderloin satay dry and over spiced. I've three more dinners in Ithaca - I wont be back to Mia this week and will question going back during the next visit; if I do, I will likely not pick from the tapas menu and, hopefully, a more pleasant/attentive waiter will await me.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The food is outstanding and the drinks are hand made. Expensive , hmmmmm, maybe , but worth it. The shrimp entree and the tom yum jia soup is off the hook.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I would certainly state that it is worth it to try this place if you are in the area, but would not say it is as hyped up as people claim. The major pros are the most important for a restaurant, of course: Food. One of their signature dishes is the Mia barbeque pork buns with pickled daikon (which I believe is their take on a Gua Bao, but don't quote me on that)- this was absolutely the best dish of the night- perfect combinatons of flavor and texture. The pork shanks were also quite good, but not as much of a star. I was a bit disappointed with the Roast duck buns with pickled daikon, as I did not think the flavors came through well enough, and the puff pastry was a bit soggy, but overall not a bad dish. For dessert, the creme brulee was excellent (and I usually don't like creme brulee so that says something, I suppose).
I also tried the Mia's Mai Tai- which was very tasty, but a bit on the weak side.
The cons of this restaurant kept me from giving it a 4. They are the atmosphere and the service. While our server was friendly, she took quite a long time to come by and take our order, which was a bit frustrating, considering how hungry we both were! And the atmosphere is simply too loud to be enjoyable. I know that sometimes a place can feel "alive" when it is loud and crowded, but when it is so loud you can't actually talk to the person you are with, it takes away from the "liveliness."
So, overall, decent food - with a few spectacular dishes. Not so great service, and an atmosphere better suited for a nightclub than a dining area. Definitely not the place for a romantic evening, but on a good night with a little better service- the potential for a fun one.