“meh”
Review of AGAVA Restaurant

AGAVA Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
AGAVA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 264 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The AGAVA restaurant concept is rooted in local, farm-to-table cuisine, seasonal menu and a Southwest-Inspired palette. One of the central design and functional elements is a wood-fired oven with eating bar in the main dining space, serving up flatbreads and a range of other fire-roasted cuisine. Our bar is destination of its own; from the unique spirits & cocktails, to an environment and space you have to see for yourself. We feature one of the most unique interior spaces in the central NY region, drawing from both southwestern design elements like “latillas’ as well as local historical features like reclaimed barn wood. We’re based in the old East Ithaca Train Station, commissioned in 1876 by Ezra Cornell.
New York City, New York
“meh”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I've gone here 4 times in the past year, mostly with family members (teens) and once with a visiting guest. It's always been ok, but never exceptional and certainly feels over-hyped and over-priced. On my most recent occasion I had the fish taco - each taco had one piece of batter-fried fish that reminded me too much of Gorton's frozen nuggets, wierd (to say the least). There are other places in Ithaca I'd recommend.

• Visited December 2013

Ithaca, NY
“Really?”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Sitting near the bar Wednesday evening I watched one of the servers insert a large straw into a drink waiting for pick up, stop the top end with his finger, pull the straw out and drink the contents. I wonder if the customer who ordered that margarita (or the board of health) would have enjoyed knowing that the waiter was sampling the drinks first. Getting both entrees served within 10 minutes of each other was deemed "tricky" for the kitchen. Food was OK but who cares?

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank artdept122
Ithaca, New York
“Going downhill, very sad”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I've written a review of this restaurant before, and felt I needed to write again since it just isn't as good as it used to be. I admit that our experience was colored by the very unprofessional conduct of the house manager, a woman who chose to berate one of the staff very loudly in front of those seated in the dining area. We dine out a lot, and thankfully it is rare for us to be witness to conduct so unbecoming. Our own service was not great, due to initial confusion as to who was supposed to be taking care of our table. When we were finally able to alert someone on the wait staff, they were courteous and apologetic, and after that we had no problems. Our food arrived a bit haphazardly, not a big deal, but the quality of the food itself was not very good. Our appetizers were pretty bland, and the only entree we thought was pretty good was the burger - not what we would normally go to a mexican restaurant for. Overall it just wasn't a great experience, and pretty pricey for the quality of the food. One suspects that more attention to the menu and a change in some of the management might bring this place back to where it was in its first year.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank karlou25
AgavaRestaurant, General Manager at AGAVA Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear karlou25,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your visit to Agava in November.

I was delighted to ready your review from last May, and sorry to hear that we didn't provide the same level of experience on your recent visit.

We strive to provide a great experience for all guests on every visit and clearly we fell short of this. Our goal is to always improve and grow, and we appreciate your feedback.

We'd love to have the opportunity to serve you again, and make you happy! We invite you to come in for another meal, and we'll treat you to drinks. Please let me know if I can make a reservation for you.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to meet you soon at Agava.

Best,
Asya Ollis
Elmira, New York
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We often travel 40 minutes to eat at Agava Resturant.
Fresh farm to table food, good drinks and nice atmosphere.

The salsa is very fresh and one of my all time favorites.

The Salsa lessons, and trivia are a welcome weekday break.

• Visited October 2013
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hell, yes!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I go to Agave all the time, for lunch and dinner. I take friends from out-of-town. I go for special occasions, like my birthday. I go when I'm hungover, because this food takes care of me. It's clean, fresh, tasty food, prepared unlike any other place in Ithaca (and believe me, I know Ithaca food). The staff is friendly and helpful, and the cocktails are totally banging. Good beer menu, too!

• Visited July 2013