“Southwest on East Hill”
Review of AGAVA Restaurant

AGAVA Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
AGAVA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 269 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The AGAVA restaurant concept is rooted in local, farm-to-table cuisine, seasonal menu and a Southwest-Inspired palette. One of the central design and functional elements is a wood-fired oven with eating bar in the main dining space, serving up flatbreads and a range of other fire-roasted cuisine. Our bar is destination of its own; from the unique spirits & cocktails, to an environment and space you have to see for yourself. We feature one of the most unique interior spaces in the central NY region, drawing from both southwestern design elements like “latillas’ as well as local historical features like reclaimed barn wood. We’re based in the old East Ithaca Train Station, commissioned in 1876 by Ezra Cornell.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Delicious Tex-Mex. Corn chips (very salty) and salsa are complimentary, but we also ordered the excellent guacamole for the table. The menu includes a variety of flatbreads, cooked in the restaurant's brick oven. Two were served at the next table and they looked great. A special lunch menu offers 2-courses for $10.95. I had the delicious pulled pork sandwich (minus the Cheddar that would have made it a melt) and a generous salad of berries and melon. The service was pleasant but unprofessional; we had to ask for things more than once. And when the waitress served gazpacho to the other two diners, she neglected to bring soup spoons.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is near Cornell, and southwest themed. The say the chef has a New Orleans background. The brussel sprouts were delish. The guacamole great. The mushroom bisque, melt in your mouth. Even the tortilla chips were tasty! Highly recommend this one...

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Best Western front desk recommended this restaurant. It was nice to walk to from hotel. We do not like Southwest (Mexican) food, but did not want to get into car and drive somewhere. the free nachos and salsa was a nice added touch, and they were good. The water was served in your own liter bottle, but it is warm water, Not sure why. My shrimp alfredo was very spicy. whew! I can't say anything bad, because it's not the fault of the chef that I don't like hot and spicy food. My husband ordered the tuna steak entrée, but he ordered it plain. He really liked his. I must say the presentation of the food was very nice and appealing.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was recommended by the hotel we were staying at. Great surprise as we needed vegetarian fate. We loved the food and had a great evening in the festive atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I went for a quiet lunch with a good friend. She suggested that the two inside rooms were too noisy for conversation so we went to the patio. I ordered the lamb burger but asked if the spicy rub could be omitted, but instead, they omitted the greens, yogurt and pickled beets that came with it and the waitress didn't look at or know the difference until I asked for the missing ingredients.
The lobster bisque was served in a large fancy bowl with a disappointingly small half cup base so shallow that the two pieces of whole claw meat lying on their sides were not more than half submerged. It was tasty, but skimpy in my mind.
To top it all off , 30 ft. across the large patio, a woman was loudly raving to the couple across from her about what was apparently the couple's recent home birth! I am not squeamish and my friend and I have each had several children but the details of the husband making a sandwich while the wife's water broke, among other things not appropriate for this site either, were , I felt, inappropriate for a public dining place! While this is not the fault of the restaurant, someone needed to ask them to use an " indoor voice", so I did, and we were able to finish our meal in peace and relative quiet. We let our waitress know that I had spoken to them and she was appropriately apologetic on behalf of the restaurant .
This is not a criticism of this restaurant alone ; I am finding more and more that people of all ages are so used to sharing the intimate details of their lives on social media that they have few filters on what they feel is appropriate to discuss loudly enough to be heard by two older women, who are slightly hard of hearing, across a 30 ft. gap with traffic noise in the back ground!

1  Thank theotter1