“A GF gem”

Waffle Frolic
Ranked #25 of 271 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Waffle Bar and Coffee House on the Ithaca Commons. Waffles, Fried Chicken, Sandwiches, Espresso, Smoothies - Sweet and Savory Living in Perfect Harmony since 2010.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I'll keep this short and sweet, because that describes their successful business model. Waffles are at the heart of their menu, and they have certainly mastered them. The place is great. The staff was charming and accommodating to our inquiries about particular menu items and ingredients. Hands down best gf waffles we have tasted, crunchy exterior and a perfected warm center. Also a tip we learned from the owner is that the fried chicken is gf, it's just not listed on menu that way. Enjoy!

1  Thank kaj-jjo

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Hit up this place when we were in town for an info sesh at Cornell. Was really eager to try after eating at Funk n Waffles last year when we visited Syracuse/SUNY ESF. My son is a huge waffle fan and this place definitely lived up to and surpassed expectations!! I ordered the gluten-free waffle (with strawberries & whipped cream) and it was, without a doubt, the best waffle I've ever eaten—gluten-free or otherwise!! Perfectly crisp on outside, soft inside and just the right amount of sweetness without being too much so. I have not stopped thinking about that waffle since and really wish we could've gone back a second (or third or fourth) time.

Son devoured his waffles and fried chicken and his dad had the hemp/buckwheat waffle with various toppings. All were great. Aside from the taste and perfect texture of the waffle, I loved the fact that you could order a single or a double. In this case, we all ordered singles and it was jut the right amount of food. We did not repeat the total waffle waste that we did in Syracuse last year. And if you want to try two (or more) different waffles, doing two singles is a great option.

Unlike one of the other reviewers here, dad loved the coffee. Also, there are now utensils and condiments located upstairs, so you don't have to load up on them before heading up. (They must read the reviews here!) Another thing I liked about the upstairs (besides the ample seating) was that you could look down and watch them making the waffles, which was fun. AND, there's a nook with a lending library (full of great books and magazines) and a bunch of board games. You could really spend hours here. All in all, a great find!! We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank girlycheckin
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Nothing fancy and seating is bit on the sparse side, but the waffles can't be beat for a quick snack. Just had plain waffles but some of the other options that went by looked quite good. Coffee was a bit weak but otherwise OK.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We went into this restaurant because we liked the name but we were pleasantly surprised by the Delicious waffles. I had a traditional waffle with fruit but other members of my group had the waffle grilled cheese and waffle with chili. Everyone loved their waffles. Not a lot of seating.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Waffle Frolic is so good! I never liked waffles until I had one here. You have to stop by here if your in Ithaca. This was our second visit, and we can't wait for the next one. You could have a waffle meal or decadent dessert here, or a sandwich or just ice-cream. They offer many vegan and gluten free options too. They offer sandwiches on french bread or meals and desserts on waffles. (waffles with fruit, ice-cream, eggs and sausage, chili and cheddar on a cornbread waffle, vegan hot dogs, etc.) They are located in the Ithaca Commons in town. Service is a bit slow, but they are very pleasant. There a two small tables downstairs and lots of seating upstairs. Children would enjoy this place and there is plenty of room upstairs for anyone who can climb up.