“Awesome place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Batavia, United States
“Awesome place to stay”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Love the Hampton in Ithaca! Great service at the front desk! Internet quick and flawless. Room smells the cleanest! The bed is so comfy I hate to leave it! The location is great - very easy to find - sometimes not so easy to get into or out of depending on traffic. The lobby has recently been redone - looks great - very modern. Always enjoy staying at the Hampton!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
Albany, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Our recent stay to this hotel was very positive. It is about 10 minutes from the Cornell Campus.It is close to stores and restaurants. It has been redecorated and the lobby area was especially nice. It has an indoor pool and small work out room. We had no problems at check-in at this visit. The rooms are average, nothing fancy but adequate. They have a microwave and mini fridge in the room. The bed was comfortable. The hotel was noticeably cleaner since my last visit, both the room and the lobby areas. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I can see why Hampton Inn is rated highly in Trip Advisor. We had a lovely, quiet room. Everything was clean and the staff was very friendly. There was lots of choice for the help yourself breakfast. The hotel is close to everything i.e. Buttermilk Falls, plaza shopping, Cornell University, Ithaca Commons. This is our third Hampton inn stay and each time the stay has been exceptional.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Canton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 September 2013

In August our party of four stayed for two nights at this relatively new hotel a short distance from downtown Ithaca. Hotel was also very convenient to nearby state parks where we wanted to visit and hike to see Ithaca's famed gorges and waterfalls. We were also visiting nearby Ithaca College where a member of our party was considering applying. Hotel was very clean and the staff accomodating. You do have to drive to locations of interest. Our room with two queen beds on the second floor was very clean, including the bathroom which came with sample tolietries and the room was very quiet at night. Hotel provided an extra roll-up bed at our request at no charge. Hotel security was good. The stay came with an excellent buffet breakfast. I didn't use the indoor pool but other members of my party used it and were happy with it. Being over 65, I was able to get the senior hotel rate; with occupancy and state taxes included, the cost came to less than $ 50 per person per night, which seems very reasonable for this type of hotel and what it offers. Would come back again if visiting the Ithaca/Finger Lakes region.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor or higher. Parking can be tight in the small footprint of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Stormville, New York
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My sister in law lives in Ithaca with her family and their house can not accommodate all of us so my mom in law splurged on a hotel to prompt a family visit. I was nervous at first. Being that Ithaca is a college town, many places cater to campus students who want to get drunk off campus therefore accommodations can be not so great unless you want to really pay a lot of money. Knowing how frugal my mom in law is, I was expecting the typical college town hotel but was pleasantly surprised that she really splurged (she must have had a coupon or something!) The staff at check in were okay, typical college/HS student just doing their job. The rooms were really nice and clean smelling. It was an expensive stay and I would not have afforded to stay there had mom in law not payed. Beds were great!

The pool was comfortable, and the exercise room good enough but the breakfast was the best part. My kids loved it! It was an expanded/hot continental breakfast and included waffles amongst other things. The best part of breakfast was the sweet older woman who was in charge of the entire production. She was so nice to the kids and offered to help with waffle making and kept everything running smoothly. She gave off that Grandma vibe and was such a blessed way to start your day!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Ithaca, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Hotel service was great. Rooms were clean and well stocked. Breakfast was excellent and the 24 hour tea and coffee service was a wonderful addition. Located close to Cornell and many restaurants and businesses. Would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Hilary D
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn for two nights during freshman move-in at Cornell, and our stay was fine overall. I wouldn’t be averse to coming back. However, I expected a little bit more from this hotel. Although I know that every hotel in Ithaca charges exorbitant rates during busy times at Cornell and Ithaca College, I definitely felt overcharged given the quality of the accommodations.

The first thing to know about the Hampton Inn is where it’s located. It’s not within walking distance of anything. Cornell isn’t accessible without driving (which is the case at every Ithaca hotel other than Cornell’s on-campus Statler Hotel), and the Ithaca Commons dining and shopping area is also a drive away. None of these things are far from the Hampton Inn, but it’s definitely worth noting that driving is required. Driving to Cornell took us about 15 minutes, but it may have taken longer than usual since the campus was crowded during move-in.

The Hampton Inn is very convenient to many of Ithaca’s shopping centers and a couple of grocery stores, which was definitely helpful to us when picking up extra supplies during move-in. If you aren’t interested in being right by the usual big box stores and shopping centers, you may not want to choose this hotel. There are a lot of quick dining options close to the hotel (Chipotle, Panera Bread, etc.), but there aren’t many full-service restaurants nearby. I’d recommend the quick drive over to Ithaca Commons for meals.

This property is a very typical Hampton Inn. It’s on a somewhat small lot, positioned very close to the road. This also means that the parking lot on the side and back is very small, and some guests have to parallel park. Since the hotel was full at the time, anytime we got back to the hotel after about 8:00 pm, it was hard to find parking. Luckily there are some extra spots by the shopping center next door.

We arrived a few hours early to check-in when we arrived, and the lobby pleasantly surprised me. I haven’t stayed at a Hampton Inn in a while, so I surprised to find a more modern and funky décor in the lobby than I was expecting. The front desk clerks are nice, and it was definitely a plus that we were able to check-in early. The first floor also features the small fitness room and indoor pool, which we didn’t use, but appeared to be pretty typical.

The only issue that I noticed with the common areas was that the hallways sometimes looked a bit dirty, both in the room hallways and near the elevators. The two elevators are also very slow. The issue was only exacerbated by the fact that one of them was out of order for our first day there. Our room was on the second floor, and it often didn’t seem worth it to wait for the elevators to come.

Given the updated common areas, it was surprising to find that the room itself was more of a typical older Hampton Inn room. There was nothing much wrong with the room per se, but it just felt a little bit tired and dated to me, especially in comparison to the public areas of the hotel. The cherry wood, moss green décor with vines and flowers as accents is something that most hotels have gotten rid of by this point. This hotel just seems to be a bit behind. From the recent updating of common areas, though, I have a feeling that rooms are next. Despite feeling like the room was a bit older, there have been some updates, including the bedding, which seemed fresh. It was also nice that each room has a decently sized mini-fridge and microwave. There is also free wifi in the rooms that worked well.

One thing that I found odd was that the beds looked lumpy and messy when we arrived. It’s odd to walk into a hotel room and see lumpy-looking beds, which was caused by the duvets. The beds also just had a generally messy look, with the pillows thrown on haphazardly and the bed skirts out of place.

The bathrooms could use a facelift. Although there is a granite vanity that is nice enough, the bathroom could use everything else replaced. The tile was old and the shower was made of a cheap laminate material that needs replacement. The shower curtain was also cheap and a little bit grimy looking.

Rooms either have a view of the street or a view of the back parking lot, neither of which is anything special. We were given a room with a street view, and it ended up being fine. The view was nothing to write home about, but we also didn’t end up having any issues with street noise like others have mentioned.

We had the hotel’s free breakfast in the lobby each morning. The breakfast was decent enough, actually better than what I recall Hampton Inns having had in the past. There were a couple of hot options that changed each day. One morning, the hot option was a pre-made cheese omelet and breakfast potatoes, and the other day it was a western omelet and sausage. These options were far from gourmet, but they worked well enough. The rest of the breakfast options were the usual cold options, and I even noticed some change in the pastries offered each day. I appreciated that they try to keep it different from day to day.

Overall, we had a fine stay at the Hampton Inn, and it served its purpose for move-in at Cornell. The options in the area are all pretty comparable, so I wouldn’t be against coming back here. It can work well for touring the Finger Lakes or visiting the local colleges. However, I wouldn’t be running back to the Hampton Inn because I thought it was just ok, especially for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road may be quieter, but our room facing the road didn't have any noise...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family