“A Surprising Delight”

Ranked #133 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The best Japanese restaurant in Ithaca. We serve hibachi sushi & Asian entrees.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

About once a month my wife and I get the craving for sushi. The Tokyo Hibachi is one of two of our favorites in the city of Ithaca. (A 15 mile drive for us.) We arrived on this recent Saturday afternoon around 5 pm and there was already a good crowd of diners. Our charming waitress, Amy, was prompt, courteous, and efficient. The beef negimaki appetizer was seared to perfection and its sauce was so good that I saved it to pour over some rice later in the meal. For the main course I had the sushi-sashimi combo with a dragon roll on the side. The fish portions were ample, and for it being the month of June, the flavor of the fish was outstanding.

We've never used the hibachi tables, but they're always occupied and the diners always sound delighted.

The only downside to our experience that evening was that--at least at our table--the restaurant failed my "sticky arm" test. That is, even though the place was otherwise spotlessly clean, the surface of the table in the booth we sat at had only been superficially cleaned, and residue of the various sticky sauces from the previous customer were still there.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Six of us gathered on a slow, cold Monday evening at Tokyo Hibachi. We started with drinks at the large bar. The wine selection was somewhat limited, especially given that we are in the heart of Finger Lakes wine country. The cosmopolitan looked a bit translucent too. However, the criticisms stop there. We were promptly seated in the hibachi area of the restaurant. The orders were taken and the 'show' began shortly afterwards. The hibachi meal included rice, vegetable, the selected meat(s) or vegetables, soup and salad with ginger dressing. Grilled noodles as well as appetizers were extra. I would not hesitate to recommend this place. With one drink, a side of noodles and the entree, plan on spending, with tip, about $40.00.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We walked over to this place from our room at the Super 8. I had read reviews and we knew of a few options to try. We did not sit on the Hibachi side but that was fine. We were early because it was quite empty, the food was very good and we were treated well. Would definitely consider going again if in the area.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I went out for our anniversary last night. We only recently noticed that this restaurant was here. Our first experience went well, the place is very clean and quiet. There's not a lot of seating. We both tried the spicy tuna roll, it was delicious. I got the Shanghai noodle dish which was made with yellow curry. It was delicious, but it definitely could have had more veggies to the noodle ratio. Fiancé got the beef ho fun dish which was delicious! Great flavor nice noodles. Our waitress was the stereotypical spaced out Ithaca college student, nothing special but she was attentive. They also had local wines on their list which was a great surprise. I would prefer only one style of hot food, but they serve Chinese, Japanese and Thai style dishes. All in all, we will be back.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I came to Tokyo with my mom, we had sushi and hibachi at the main restaurant, both were very good, the sushi tastes awesome, the presentation is absolutely amazing, with all crazy types of glowing lights underneath. I tried some of my mom's hibachi, and the tofu is the best! it's like so soft and gooey inside but with a crunch on the outside! The serving size is definitely big enough, I got 2 rolls and we were both so full by the end. But of course we had to get the fried ice cream for dessert, the green tea fried ice cream is amazing!!!! I got the tiramisu and it was fantastic as well! Def the best japanese restaurant in town, it's alot bigger than kyushu or sushi saki. It's also less crowded than plum tree and miyaki's since students dominates there. The service was nice, they gave you full attention but didn't like hoover over your face. : ) def try it out!