“Delicious But. . . .”

Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Like our décor, food, prices, and service, our intention is to give you a comfortable, honest homestyle dining experience. We value consistency, getting it right the first time and every time. Discover delightful dining, serving classic American cuisine in a comfortable casual atmosphere.
Reviewed 28 July 2015

To the point; I've visited this restaurant immediately after it was remodeled and the food was appetizing though expensive for the times. As years have passed, I've noticed that the food has become richer and richer. It's still delicious, however this degree of richness no longer appeals to my palate. I would like to see a balance of a dollop of richness and freshness. However, I was pleasantly surprised by a fields green salad with blueberries, walnuts, and a slightly heavy balsamic vinaigrette dressing. My friends enjoyed the scallops, steaks, and other offerings. At the end, we all agreed that though the flavors were very good, the lipids used to deliver these flavors were excessive.

I was utterly disappointed when ordering wines by the glass. The selection of California and other wines was third rate and boring, although he price indicated otherwise. This list could be found in any decent drugstore. I could have ordered a bottle of Byron's Pinot Noir from Santa Maria and that would have been a fine balance to the meal or better yet, this wine could have been offered this as one of the "wines by the glass" and I would have been satisfied during this meal.

For desert we shared a creme brulee that was delicious. The flavors were subtle and teasing while inviting the partaker to discover new tastes with each morsel. I highly recommend this desert. Better yet, start with this one and move on to the Indian corn pudding. Its intriguing, but only once.

If I return, I'll make sure I scrape off any sauces placed on the food. I want to enjoy the natural flavors of the meat.

Unless I find another jewel in Ithaca to review, I'll be in Portland, ME in a few days. As my Norwegian friend used to say "yumpin yiminni!"

Dr. G

Reviewed 22 July 2015

Wasn't sure upon arrival at the restaurant. Has a homegrown feel to it in general, and didn't love the atmosphere, but that being said, the food was excellent. I would go there again in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Julie K
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Non descript restaurant on a side road off of Route 13. Service, food, experience is all good. You clearly get a good value and nice time. Selection is not overwhelming but there clearly is a variety. Leaving hungry only happens if you don't order anything. Well worth the trip.

1  Thank 53DaveG
Reviewed 17 July 2015

We have not eaten here in several years because of the poor food quality. However, some friends of ours decided to try the restaurant one more time. Well, I wish my wife and I could get our money back! I ordered the Fresh Fryless Atlantic Haddock. I asked if the fish was indeed "fresh". We were told that the fish is brought in fresh and then frozen there at the restaurant. So, no telling how old that "fresh" fish is. Fryless, meaning "baked". Well, it came out as white as the napkin, sitting next to my plate!. Really!! No salt, no pepper, no Paprika, no Parsley, no pepper....nothing. No color and bland! ANYONE in the industry, who cooks for a living, should know better than to prepare and serve a dish as bland and colorless as this dish!!

Our friends ordered the Lobster Bisque soup. They told us that there was virtually no bits or chunks of Lobster in this soup!

My wife and I spent $ 50.00 plus dollars for our meal, which was far below minimum quality or presentation! Never going back there again!

3  Thank BERNIE2361584
Reviewed 13 July 2015

Ate dinner at Antlers at the end of June. The restaurant is about ten minutes driving away from the Commons. There is not a lot of curb appeal when you drive past it. The restaurant inside does have some interesting embellishments but generally I would say the decor is average. However, the food makes up for what is lacking in ambiance. The lobster bisque was excellent. The duck was OK and I have had better. Chicken Marsala, Crab Cakes and the Big Mike burger were all very good. The portions are a bit on the small size and that would be my only real complaint about the food. The staff is welcoming and the service was very good. I would dine here again.