All reviews waffles ithaca college typical breakfast marriott points front desk staff newer property free wifi other hotels nice lobby king suite a great stay buttermilk falls top floor clean hotel complimentary breakfast comfortable beds the breakfast area
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am still at this hotel because at this point I have no options and that is exactly how I feel I am being treated. I don't ask for much considering that I have accumulated almost 1200 nights at Marriott hotels and a current Platinum member but when it comes to vacationing with my family I ask for a little help. To start I had to pay $2,400 for 2 rooms for 3 night or $400 a night for this $89 a night value. Then I am told that I cannot get adjoining rooms because they are so booked and that this would require a two queen room which is what I actually wanted. They said they could move me in on our second night if I wanted to pay more. Are you freaking kidding. I said I am paying $400 a night which I was then told by the front desk lady that other hotels are charging more. Yes, at the Ritz off central park they are paying more. What a joke, seriously! What you have to realize is that there are 10 cars in the parking right now. What they are playing off of is that it is graduation weekend and I actually happened to be graduating at Cornell but at this point I feel more like a fool for booking here and paying in advance. The one bright note is that the room staff have been nice and the beds are comfy but for a new hotel it has issues. Wall paper coming off the walls, which I am guessing was not applied correctly considering how new this place is and the rooms are incredibly small. To small to have a crib in the room. Did I mention I am with my 1.5 and 4 year old boys, which means we are now separated because of the non-adjoining rooms. Oh and my 1.5 son hit the end table and busted his open and I got a needle through my finger because the needle was left in the curtains that I was trying to close and keep the air from blowing on us all night.I will never stay here again and will make sure i will tell as many people as possible but for ripping me off and causing me personal strife I will ask what you plan to do to make up for this blown stay and special moment for me and my family.

Room tip: Don't stay here.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank paulisy
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I apologize that your stay was far from ideal. We will use your feedback to improve our performance in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My daughter and I just spent two nights here while looking for apartments. She is going to Ithaca College as a Grad student. This hotel was beautifully decorated, safe and spotlessly clean! Our room was immaculate, the complimentary breakfast was fresh and varied, and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful! I'll absolutely stay here again when I come to visit!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our property. I am so glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable while you were here visiting Ithaca College. We work hard to make sure that each guest's stay is a good one and it is gratifying to hear that in your case we succeeded. Please think us next time your travels bring you Ithaca College or the Finger Lakes area.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I went up to Ithaca at the last moment to see the Cornell Baseball team play. Most of the hotels in town were sold out, but my friend, who flew in from San Francisco to see his son play, was able to reserve a room for Friday night. On Saturday morning, we met with the General Manager, Jack Murphy, and explained we needed another room because my friend's wife and daughter were flying in. He stated that they had a recent cancellation, and we could have the 2nd room. Mr. Murphy also took the time to explain the shuttle service and time parameters in getting to the ball field. I mention this right away because whenever I travel, no matter how well-appointed and immaculate the rooms are, and no matter how splendid the inanimate objects are, it is always the human factor that stands out the most and gives the most positive feeling to go home with. Jack Murphy is doing a splendid job in taking care of business at this hotel in a professional AND cordial manner. I stayed 4 nights and during that time I observed Mr. Murphy do just about everything and anything to keep things running smoothly at the property; hats off to Mr. Murphy... and thanks.

As far as the hotel, it is a fairly new property and has everything to make a traveler's stay a great one. What that means for me is an exercise room and a small pool to take a dip in the morning; an early breakfast that is as complete as you will ever see for a complimentary hotel spread; bananas, orange juice, apple juice, milk, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, yogurt, coffee, waffle-maker (the big hit of the morning) toast, bagels and English muffins. Everything is kept well-stocked and completely clean by the gentleman who was there every morning see to the details. I would also like to comment that breakfast opened up before the stated hours and closed down after the stated hours, which was a nice touch. I have been to places where they start removing food well before the stated hour, and it gives those relaxing at their table a rushed feeling. The lobby of the hotel is spacious with plenty of tables and chairs as well as a large flat screen TV. It was nice to be able to take my laptop into the lobby at any time to do some work and catch up on the news and sports. Complimentary coffee was out in the lobby in large thermal containers throughout the afternoon and evening, which also was a nice perk. There was also computers and a printer in the lobby for use.

The rooms were spotless with the standard amenities. The bed was incredibly comfortable. There is more than enough parking for those folks who are driving, and if not, the complimentary shuttle service is a big plus. The hotel location has plenty of places to eat nearby, such as Chipotle and Panera Bread, as well as Barnes and Noble and the rest of the chain stores. The location is only 15 minutes from the Cornell and Ithaca college campus. All in all, if anyone is staying in Ithaca, I have a hard time believing any traveler could find a better place to stay. This hotel is remarkably clean, offers up good and plentiful food and coffee, and is run by a industrious and indefatigable gentleman that goes the extra mile for the customer, an approach that makes it way down to the staff.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Joe H

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is great to hear that your stay was so enjoyable. My staff and I take great pride in our customer service and I'm glad that we met or exceeded your expectations.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I look forward to the next time your travels bring you to the Ithaca area.

Thank you again for your compliments to our staff, our hotel and myself.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

As a Marriott rewards member we most usually stay at Marriott when we can. I have stayed at a Fairfield in Va. and remember loving the bold designs and overall layout of the hotel. Here was the same, the room was nice, location good, parking easy, breakfast fine. My only complaint was the staff at the front desk. Very apathetic staff and not usually what I expect. It was 2;30 when we checked in and most always anywhere we stay we are able to get to our room. Here I was told there was nothing available and that i would have to wait...we were 3 people and we were tired after a long drive and just wanted to get to our room to refresh. I said i would just have to wait in the lobby then but pleaded to please check again. I then mentioned being a rewards member and suddenly a room appeared. I dont know why it wasnt in the system that i was a member, and besides that the woman at the desk just didnt really care and wasnt that friendly...Also later when we went out to "hit the town" we asked how to get there and the girls said "leave the hotel and go straight, thats it"...wrong. It was not that simple as we discovered after "going straight" and winding up way out of the town and lost!!...and something like knowing how to direct guests how to get into town, should be readily available. Often when i am visiting college towns, i am given not only explicit directions, but a print out of restaurants in the area as well as the directions! Later when we had to go to the college, again, the staff did not know how to direct us, acted completely confused and it was actually another hotel guest that advised us! Overall i would probably stay here again as I am a loyal person and I like my marriott points, and i know they are new in the area and need to work out the kinks, but getting lost with limited time was annoying! I suppose people dont ask for directions anymore and use their phone or gps thats what i should have done!

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa H

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that there were apsects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is extremely important to us because it brings attention to those areas where we need improvement. I will address the issues you experienced with my front desk staff to ensure that they do not happen again.

I know that you have many options for hotels in the Ithaca area and I hope that you will give us another chance if your travels bring you here again.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

New construction (opened about 9 months ago) in Ithaca - hotel was easy to find and near Buttermilk Falls, within 10 minutes of the colleges, other area falls and commons. Check-in had a bit of a line but not too bad. Room was decent, better than average beds for a Fairfield. Breakfast was typical Fairfield, not great but then again it's free. The reason why this hotel only gets 3.5 stars is that the soundproofing to the hallway was non-existent: very surprising for a new property. Literally heard every conversation, no matter how loud or how soft, outside the door. In summary, good choice for Ithaca lodging!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveltime841
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our property. It's through your feedback that we are able to improve every guest's experience. I apologize that aspects of your stay were not up to your expectations but I am glad to hear that overall your stay was a pleasant one. Please think us the next time your travels bring to Ithaca, Cornell or the Finger Lakes area.