“Nice Hotel, good value”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Nice Hotel, good value”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We were in Ithaca New York looking at Cornell University with our daughter. We chose the Fairfield Inn because of the suites available. We booked a King suite with a pull out couch. The whole hotel looked as if it had recently been remodeled. Lobby was very modern looking and breakfast area was spacey with many tables. Every thing was clean! Our room was small for a suite but the lay out was good and flowed nicely. The couch and chair blended into each other so if you wanted to you could sleep on it without opening it up. My daughter still opened it however. The king sized bed was very comfy. The bathroom was spacious with a large walk in shower. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, make up remover and toothpaste were all provided. There was a small fridge, a microwave and a one cup coffee maker. Two small flat screen tvs. The lobby actually had a small area with a large cooler that sold drinks, some food that could be warmed up, candy, snacks and ice cream treats. To make it really convenient you could just charge it to your room.
Staff was great, friendly and willing to answer any questions about the area.
Breakfast was better than most hotel breakfasts. The scrambled eggs were very fresh and hot. Two kinds of waffles every day and then oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, sausage, toast bagels etc. The breakfast staff was very friendly and helpful. I walk with a cane and when she saw that she offered to help me right away.
I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are coming to Ithaca. It is not right in the downtown area, but just minutes away. Truthfully, you don't want to stay in the downtown area..very narrow streets and next to no parking. But that's a different review!

2 Thank Catherine W
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this review, 8 December 2014
Thank so much for your kind review. It is great to hear back from our guests. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that your interactions with our staff were good ones. Customer satisfaction is of the highest importance to us and feedback like yours is one of the valuable ways we know how we are doing. Please think of us again if your travels bring you back to Cornell University, Ithaca or the Finger Lakes area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel's location is in close proximity to restaurants and stores. The hotel also seems to offer a shuttle for local travel, though we didn't use it. The staff were friendly and the lobby was inviting. The room, while decent in size, had many signs of wear and tear. What first caught my attention (pretty much immediately) was the musty smell of the room. The smell made what seems to be a newer hotel seem like a roadside motel. There was one small area in the room where it seemed like a patch of the carpet had come up. The hand towel hanger in the bathroom over the sink fell down from the wall. In sum, it just wasn't that great of an experience. I think the rooms just need more attention and care, and the musty smell is just inexcusable.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank HotelGeographer
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I will use your feedback to improve our performance in the future. Thank you agian for your reveiw.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel had a great location in the town of Ithaca, a lot of state parks to explore. The room was very spacious. Especially the bathroom got a lot of space for a couple move around without bump to each other. The bedding was extremely soft and comfort. Definitely had a good sleep. There was a nice working desk for the business traveller with a lot of electronic outlets for the equipments. This feature was essential for today travelers or family. The room got some artistic elements to make a twist, it was not a traditional boring hotel room feel. Fairfield always provided hot breakfast in the morning, it was great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loong97
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work hard to make sure each guest's experience is a good one. Your feedback is very important to us because it is one of the best ways to measure our progress. Please think of us if your travels bring you back to Ithaca or the Finger Lakes area.
Hudson Valley, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just spent one night at this hotel. This is a new, clean, modern hotel, with lots of convenient plugs near the bed and workstation areas, for your gadgets. Comfortable, firm bed, very modern bathroom with glass enclosed shower with excellent pressure. No hot tub, but there is a small, heated pool. Staff were friendly and efficient. Our room had a microwave and refrigerator. Temperature control worked well. I cannot drink dairy, so I was THRILLED to see soymilk as an option to go with the coffee at the breakfast buffet. I have not seen that at any other breakfast buffet at any other hotel, so I thank you, thank you for that!!! On the other hand, I was disappointed to learn (by asking the worker) that the scrambled eggs contain butter, so I could not eat them.

The only negatives are: it's on a busy road with lots of strip malls, so our view was of auto dealerships. (although if you want to shop, this could be a plus). Also, when we got to breakfast, all the tables were full, so we ended up taking our plates back up to the room to eat. Also, as mentioned above, I wish the eggs were just 100% pure eggs (without the butter).

Still, it was a good experience, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize about the buttered eggs, that's how the come to us but I have looked into other options. Soy milk is very popular here, I try to have options available for those with dietary restrictions. I am glad hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. Please think of us if your travels bring you back to the Ithaca or Finger Lakes area.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

In fairness, I like the room, the hotel in general, the staff, and the location. It's literally minutes from Buttermilk Falls State Park and every amenity you could possibly need. The pool is nicer than it photographs (very nice, good temperature). For that, I give the hotel a 4 or 5 out of 5.

Downside: we are a family of five put in room 202, directly beside the laundry room. The first time we heard the washer, we honestly thought it was a double-rotor military helicopter. There are no posted hours or staff regulating it's use, so we listened to this till 11:30 and we've been listening to it since just after 6am. I informed the front desk that this was not cool. The person doing their laundry complained to the front desk that they needed their money refunded because I continued to unplug the machine. Unplugging the machine was the most civil thing I could do to try and sleep.

Bottom line is if you spend hundreds on a room to sleep in, getting that sleep is the part you're really paying for. Tip: if you notice you're near a laundry room, and I mean, anywhere near it, request moving rooms.

Room Tip: Do not sleep anywhere near the laundry room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and I am glad to hear that most of your stay was acceptable. I apologize that you were disturbed by the guest laundry room. I wish you had informed the front desk sooner so we could have asked the other guest to wait until later the next day to finish their laundry. I am going to implement limited hours of operation on guest laundry so that no one else is disturbed as you were. Again I apologize that you were disturbed during your stay and I hope that you will give us another chance to make it up to you if your travels bring you back to Ithaca.
Colts Neck, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to Ithaca for a college visit and decided to stay at the Marriott Fairfield Inn since it was close to the college. Its a new hotel with the same layout as other Fairfield Inn's we've stayed in. The front deck employees were very nice and helpful. The rooms are a decent size with 2 large beds, flat screen TV and nice bathroom. If you do sleep in the bed by the AC unit it is extremely cold at times. The other downside is the hotel is right on a busy street so you do hear the cars. There is a buffet breakfast, which is just ok, stay away from the sausage they didn't look great and tasted worse.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room further away from the street
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. Your feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We strive to give every guest a worry free and enjoyable stay and it's great to hear that we achieved our goal with your stay. Please think us again if your travels bring you to the Ithaca or Finger Lakes area.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As other reviewers have written, this hotel is a newer property and it shows: very nice rooms and decor, nice lobby, helpful staff. We had a very nice stay here.

The only problem is that apparently there's a nearby house with a wood-burning stove or open fire pit (the hotel backs up on a hill), and this meant that we had the stench of wood smoke in our room and in the hallways both nights of our stay. I mentioned it to the front desk and they knew about the problem but felt they couldn't do anything about it. Where we come from there's a recreational fire ordinance that prohibits outside fires that either create a nuisance or are too close to dwellings. I wonder if there's a similar ordinance in Ithaca.

Again, this is a nice hotel. But our eyes were stinging in the evening and we'll probably have to wash all our clothes when we get home. It's like having a campfire next door! Too bad about that neighbor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jack M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ithaca, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to hear that the aspects of your stay that we could control met your expectations. I apologize for the smoke but alas they are within their legal rights. Please think of us if your travels bring you back to the Ithaca or Finger Lake area.