“The Original Vegetarian Restaurant”

Moosewood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Moosewood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 261 Restaurants in Ithaca
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Georgia Coast, Georgia
“The Original Vegetarian Restaurant”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

These are the same folks who wrote the legendary Moosewood Cookbooks. The vegetables are great, the salads impossibly fresh, and the service was prompt and very friendly.

Visited May 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Rather Surprised--and not in a good way . . .”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Went out of our way to drive through Ithaca as part of a five-day trip and was eagerly anticipating lunch at Moosewood. I am allergic to onions--strange, but true. We eat out a lot and, in about 30 years, can only remember leaving a restaurant once because I couldn't find anything without onions. Well, Moosewood makes it two. Every entree had onions and all were "prefab" enough (including salads and Asian vege rolls) that they couldn't be made without. I was shocked. That doesn't seem "fresh" to me. The waiter was pleasant enough, but when we left he said "good luck" as if finding food without onions was impossible. Good grief. Three evenings before, I found myself eating in a hotel bar after 9 in the evening. Having looked at the limited menu, I found two vegetarian options. I pick one and asked if it could be made without onions and the waiter said "no problem, that's easy." Hmm--a hotel bar can do it, but Moosewood can't . . .

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank emilee l
Rochester, New York
“4 Star Vegetarian Winner”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Was not sure if Moosewood could live up to the James Beard reputation its cookbooks have earned, but it came close. Had cod special at lunch - the fish was perhaps the best cod I have ever had, but the lukewarm temperature (I am being too kind) of both the carrots and asparagus that accompanied it was quite disappointing. Split pea soup was a clever creation and very fresh. While I am glad that my steamer (steamed milk with flavor of your choice - I picked vanilla) was awesome, the beverage is not supposed to be the item that I will remember longest. Having said that, the crew here is incredibly nice (host), helpful (water/busser) and funny/engaging (waiter). Definitely worth a try, check out the lunch and dinner menus on line if you are a picky eater to make sure they have something you will want at the upcoming meal

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank traveltime841
Minneapolis
“The icon of vegetarian cooking”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After using Moosewood's cookbooks for over 20 years, we finally dined there. Dinner was creative, delicious, and professionally served. So good we went back two more times in our two day stay in Ithaca.

Visited April 2014
Ithaca, New York
“Excellent vegetarian food!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Problably not among the best all-time, But that's a very high standard! Excellent vegetarian food, creatively prepared, and served by very nice people!

• Visited September 2013