“Waited 30 Years to Get Here and I was Delighted” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moosewood Restaurant

Moosewood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Moosewood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 260 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
VA
“Waited 30 Years to Get Here and I was Delighted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

30 years ago I bought my first Moosewood cookbook. I am not a vegetarian, but I have enjoyed many of the recipes in these cookbooks over the years, and have been to many vegetarian restaurants. The restaurant has always been one of those things I meant to do, and when we visited for the first time, I was afraid that the reality would not equal my expectations. I was wrong. Everything about the restaurant was wonderful, from the location next to the DeWitt shopping mall, the understated modern interior, and the polite hostesses who told us it would be a 20 minute wait; and they were right on the money. There are no reservations here, and at times, the waiting room was packed, but the bar is right off the waiting room and many people waited at the bar with a glass of wine or beer or water. Our table for two was big enough for our meals and we had a little bit of room between tables, unlike many restaurants in NYC where the tables abut each other. Our service was fast and out waitress was very knowledgeable about the food and its preparation. The menu is short and changes every day, with the exception of the children's items like PB&J, Grilled cheese and the standard sides and beverages. She even popped into the kitchen to ask the chef how the eggs in the entrée were prepared. Drinks were ordered and appeared within 5 minutes. The salad followed with a wonderful feta vinaigrette dressing. Everything was fresh, and the portion was appropriate for one person. The entrée was a greek spinach and cheese torte that was yummy. The food was not salty, and the spinach and other veggies tasted divine inside the perfectly cooked layers of filo dough.Again, the portion was exactly right for one person, although I could have eaten more, I would have been too full for dessert. I chose a Malbec wine from Argentina and it was very good. The moosewood special lemon chai was too strong for me, so I ordered regular tea instead. I was not charged for the lemon tea. There were about 7 different desserts to choose from, and mine was perfect. I also enjoyed my coffee - it was perfectly brewed.

We returned a second night and the food was just as delightful. We sat outside under the awning which was pleasant. Our waitress was spacey, but the other staff picked up the slack. Dessert on the second night was carrot cake that had real carrot scrapings in it and a wonderful cream cheese icing that was neither too thick nor too sweet - it was perfect.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank b1sally

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Service was great; food was merely adequate. Very disappointed after reading their cookbooks for so many years. Prices high for this quality.

Mamaroneck, New York
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I liked the element of surprise in this restaurant: different menu every night, you never know what you're going to get. They don't take reservations: just show up at 5:30 and you'll get a table. Half of the items we ordered were delicious, the other half just ok. The service was a bit chaotic: one person takes your order, then several different people bring the different parts of your meal. This resulted in confusion, with some wrong items being delivered, while others never delivered at all. If you want something you've never tasted before, try their soda: China Cola, Strawberry, etc. It's unusual.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“two nights in a row”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

went two nights in a row. amazing veggie food. good ingredients, etc. gets packed, so show up early, or bring a book.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank david g
Bethesda, Maryland
“Fabulous Food in Ithica New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were visiting colleges in Ithica and stayed at a hotel next to the restaurant. I had remembered the cookbooks from the 1980s and was excited to try the restaurant. The food was fabuous. The menu was limited, but all vegatarian or fish. It was perfect for us. We picked 2 dishes and shared them both. Both were amazing. Even the salad dressing was incredible. We also shared 2 delicious desserts. We bought an updated cookbook because I'm not sure when we will be back to taste this incredibly creative and delicious food.

• Visited August 2014