“Great lunch time menu with superb waiters”

Simeon's On the Commons
Reserve with OpenTable
Simeon's On the Commons is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 269 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stopped into this local pub-style restaurant, located right on Ithaca's main drag, yesterday for lunch. We had not picked it out in advance, just stumbled upon it while trying to pick between three or four different restaurants for lunch. We ended up extremely pleased with out selection, as it exceeded our expectations in every way.

The head waiter (seater?) actually pulled us in off the street and explained the restaurant to us on the way to our table, which was on an elevated platform overlooking the street...very pleasant. The menu has a great many unusual dishes, including a "Salmon Nicoise" salad which both my wife and I selected. It was wonderful; mixed greens with potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, Kalamata olives, and other vegetables (especially the pickled baby green beans...yummy!), all topped off with a generous portion of moistly-poached salmon. It was all superb, as was the vinaigrette dressing, which complimented the salad perfectly.

Our waiter (whose name I can't recall) took superb care of us, made some great recommendations, and kept our beverage glasses full without being asked. He also filled us in on the history of the building, which was about 150 years old. Very impressive!

This is a wonderful place to eat, and I highly recommend it.

There are newer reviews for Simeon's On the Commons

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Simeon's last weekend (5/17/14). I had a sea bass special that was encrusted in asiago, served atop mashed potato's that was awesome. My wife had a pasta and homemade sausage dish with a kick that she loved. We also shared a large tomato and mozzarella salad that was incredible. My favorite was the Deviled Egg appetizer. Our entire experience was wonderful.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We quickly learned that many of the good dining options in Ithaca area along a block long area. This was our "second best" (Mercato was first). We visited for a late evening after concert event and then on Mother's Day evening for dinner. Both visits were good. The bar is a highlight - well stocked and good bartenders - though their cocktails tended towards the "too sweet" for me. All the entrees and appetizers we tried were good. Outdoor seating on a warm day was pleasant though the construction on the street hampered the view. Staff was a relaxed and informal (students?) but attentive, friendly and responsive. I ordered some modifications one of their specials and the chef was good enough to double check my choices to insure a good dish. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Staff here was so nice helping us navigate food allergies in having dessert with my son and his girlfriend. Desserts were small and came in cups - mostly puddings or mousses doctored as cake or pie. Nice atmosphere and great location.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I had dinner at Simeon's recently. We arrived before our reservation so we had drinks ar the bar. I ordered a Dark and Stormy and it was delicious! My fiance also enjoyed his Kentucky Root Beer. We were seated in the club section, with a rowdy bunch of kids going to prom. Our waiter, however, let us know that they would be leaving shortly and once they did, he thanked us for our patience.

Our waiter also gave wonderful suggestions. I had the pasta ala vodka and my fiance had Chilean sea bass with mashed potatoes and vegetables. My pasta was great and judging by my fiance's clean plate, he liked his meal. We also enjoyed the mini desserts, which was a perfect end to a yummy meal.

Service was fantastic, food was delicious, and we'll definitely come back the next time we're in Ithaca.