“very good greek - gigantic portions!”

Aladdins Natural Eatery
Ranked #108 of 270 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Reviewed 18 November 2013

a treat in collegetown for most students who would never be able to afford to eat out, this restaurant is actually reasonably priced for non-students and offers enormous portions as well as a good selection of low priced wines. Exactly what you need for a collegetown environment.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Ithaca has a long tradition of Greek food. There are many towns in the area with Greek names and there has been a solid, but small Greek population. In my college and law school days, having some Greek food in Collegetown was a hearty and welcome alternative to burgers and the like.

When a bunch of fraternity brothers descended on Ithaca for a reunion weekend recently, we were eager to see the current state of affairs on the fringes of campus, mourn the passing of some long time watering holes and immerse ourselves in nostalgia and experience some new vibes.

I have done a lot of traveling since those college days, including spending roughly 3 months in Greece over several trips. Also, our local environs in Western Mass have several respectable Greek restaurants.

When a group of 10 of us, including some spouses, descended on Aladdins on a Saturday afternoon, none of us had any prior experience with the place. The island murals and the fairly utilitarian interior were pleasant or at least unobtrusive. The wait staff were solicitous and even moved tables so we could sit together. Frankly, we were more interested in talking than critiquing a restaurant, and everyone had their own choices of dishes.

I order moussaka, which is one of my favorite dishes. This is Greek soul food, and it can be prepared in many different ways and folks have strong opinions on it. I was not impressed with the moussaka, nor the supermarket grade pita bread. There was a substantial salad, but it was jammed on the plate in a way that made it difficult to eat without spraying salad dressing in all directions.

Perhaps I should have stuck with a gyro or something else.

The location is central, the staff was friendly enough and I would certainly try them again. But first impressions, nothing special and a long way from what you will find in small or large Greek towns. When I was a student, I longed to travel. Now, my tastes are a little more demanding. The prices were reasonable. The question is do they offer any dishes that really evoke Greek and Mediterranean passion?

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Aladdins was recommended to us by our B&B owner. It's right on the Cornell campus and fits right in the college scene. Prices are good. Two of us spent $35 for an eggplant appetizer, a bowl of chicken chili and a souvlaki combo (chicken & beef) with a glass of sangria. The portions are decent. The ingredients are very fresh. The service was great. The place is modern looking and clean. For people who complained about the service, I'm not sure what they expect. This is a reasonably priced casual place for a quick bite on a college campus. This is not a 5 star restaurant. It's a good value.

1  Thank sunnishine
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

Food service was bad app came 4 min before main. Asked to keep hot and this got waitress very upset. At checkout staff literally surrounded us. Very uncomfortable situation would NEVER go there.

1  Thank gimmiesnacks
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Eat here several times a year. Am never disappointed. The food is consistently good and the atmosphere is pleasant.

1  Thank Ithakate