“Lovely grounds, attentive service, great side dishes”

John Thomas Steakhouse
Ranked #33 of 261 Restaurants in Ithaca
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New Jersey
“Lovely grounds, attentive service, great side dishes”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

John Thomas steakhouse is located on a beautiful piece of property, with a gazebo overlooking the scenic pond. The night that we went, the grass near the pond was filled with tiny peepers, frogs the size of wood ticks, so watch your step!. Our party of four had a reservation, and we were promptly seated. Service was very warm and attentive. Starters included crabmeat cocktail, Deviled crab, spinach salad, and green salad, all of which were very good. Side dishes were excellent: the special that night was green beans, which we loved, along with wild mushrooms and German fried potatoes which were absolutely greaseless. The main courses were good but not great. Our experience echoed that of some other reviewers who have dined at steakhouses in NY city in that John Thomas charges premium prices for steak, and we expected the same quality of meat that we would get elsewhere for that price. There was nothing wrong with our entrees, but they weren't gasp-worthy. We didn't get to try dessert, as we had reservations for a fireworks cruise that evening, but the items on the display tray certainly looked appealing. They included a pecan pie, apple pie, a very rich looking chocolate thing, cheesecake, a fruit cobbler, and more. Prices are steep: we paid about $75.00 per person for four starters, four entrees, three side dishes, and two soft drinks. No alcohol, no desserts, and no coffee.

• Visited July 2014

Rochester, New York
“Very expensive, prime rib was dry”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I ate at the John Thomas Steakhouse during a recent visit to Ithaca. I found a beautiful facility with very friendly and competent staff. I found the prices too high for the quality of the product, My prime rib, was medium rare as ordered, but very dry---I cannot understand this, never had it ocurr at any other restaurants.

Visited June 2014
New City, New York
“NOT WORTH THE MONEY”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Being from NYC we have many great steakhouses. The prices here are even more expensive the Manhattan. Some of the items on menu are copies of Peter Luger in Brooklyn{ steak sauce tomato and onions and large steak sliced off of bone} They do use dry age prime beef but prices were more than what I have had in NYC. The restaurant is out of town a few miles and the decor seemed dated. The food quality in general was ok but my steak was rare not medium rare as ordered. The wait staff was tries but not up to par for their prices. Our wine was not decanted nor poured correctly leaving sediment in the glass. For the money that they charge you should expect more but do not receive it

Visited June 2014
Tacoma, Washington
“It is all about the meat!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

There is a chicken dish and a seafood special, but why bother? Amazing steaks and lamb cooked to perfection. The potatoes sides are good, but the cream spinach is to die for. Desserts are good, but not spectacular. High marks for attentive service and an expansive reasonable-priced wine list.

• Visited June 2014
Phuket, Thailand
“Best Birthday dinner ”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I must say that John Thomas is the best restaurant in Ithaca!!! Steak for two (42 oz) was totally amazing!! The stripe was really soft and tasty. Filet was tender and perfectly cooked. Lobster bisque was the best I have ever had in my life, they put a lot of lobster meats in the soup, not like lobster bisque in any other places that would only as soup with no sight of lobster meats. Caesar salad was also great. Apple pie was ok, buy cheesecake was absolutely delicious!! Service and atmosphere were excellent. The hostess was really nice, and even follow up the taxi for us. The servers were all very attentive, even though the restaurant was packed.
I would like to thanks out friend, KT, for such a wonderful dinner. And I will definitely go back there again if I have a chance. Highly recommended.

1 Thank TheNayzer