“Good accommodation”
Review of Hillside Inn

Hillside Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Hillside Inn
Ranked #14 of 18 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My husband I recently stayed at the Hillside Inn to attend a family function. The stay at the inn was great. The room rate was reasonable and the room was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The location was close to restaurants and Cornell University. There was also a local bus service to the downtown Ithaca area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hillside Inn

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Our family just celebrated our son's wedding in Ithaca NY. Since we hosted out of town guests we offered three options of local hotels for our guests to choose from. For our guests on a budget we encouraged them to choose the Hillside Inn. They could not have been more pleased. They experienced wonderful hospitality and the convenience of being able to walk to services such as restaurants, bars and coffee shops. The Hillside is located just off of the Cornell University campus which afforded the guests many beautiful walking opportunities. Many guests did not have cars so this was very important. I would not hesitate to recommend the Hillside!

Room Tip: The front desk is very responsive to guests requests-just ask!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This motel is not for everyone. Our family rented a couple of rooms for 2 nights to visit Cornell University. For our purposes it was acceptable.

The pros:
- Reasonably priced compared to most other lodging options in Ithaca
- Only one of two lodging choices within reasonable walking distance of Cornell
- Friendly, very responsive staff (one of them even stayed late to check us in when we called to say we would be late in arriving)
- Rooms were clean
- Safe neighborhood with plenty of eating options nearby
- Small free parking lot behind the motel, with several spots in front as well

The cons:
- Entire place is old and ramshackle, appearing to have grown "organically" (I'm being kind) in a haphazard manner over the years
- Plumbing is old, with both a shower and a toilet clogging up at one point in our stay
- Bathrooms are tiny and have definitely not been modernized
- Room doors are of the flimsy, old-school type
- Rooms are small and cramped, with non-chic "vintage" furniture (again being kind, although this may appeal to old alums coming back to visit the university)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AndCatFL
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Stayed here for Cornell homecoming, obviously lured by the price and proximity to campus. At first glance, everything appeared a little shabby but bearable. Dirty floors in the bathroom and there was hair on the hand towels. The real surprise came on the morning we left. There were tiny spots of blood on the sheets and my boyfriend was covered in bedbug bites. He looked like he had chicken pox! I pulled back the fitted sheet and actually found several large bedbugs - considering this was during daylight hours when they are usually hiding, this indicates a severe infestation. I am one of the lucky few who do not react to the bites, but my boyfriend suffered for almost a week with welts and bites head to toe. Luckily neither of us brought them home. Don't be lured by the location and low prices - if you do not want bed bugs, Hillside Inn is NOT the place for you!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gobigred07
Peter S, General Manager at Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

This was a once only one room discovery and exterminators handled the situation immediately and in the years since, there have been no bugs of any kind anywhere in the hotel. That one-time situation was when NYC was having a bedbug epidemic and someone must have brought them in then.

Reviewed 7 September 2009

I booked this hotel because the price was one of the best and it was walking distance from the downtown area. When we found the place, I realized that what looked like a few short blocks from the Commons ended up being further up the hill than I anticipated and not the easy walk I had planned. They lost our reservation, which wasn't a big deal since a room for the same price was still available, but under different circumstances could have been a problem. The room was close to the high end of the price range listed on their website (though it might have been higher since it was a holiday weekend) and it was so small that the lone double bed seemed too large for it. The bathroom was incredibly cramped. The thing that bothered me most was the door did not close properly and required the deadbolt to stay shut. The good thing was that it was very clean, with the exception of some hair on the wall of the shower. This place could be rather nice if they updated it. For what it is, I think we paid too much.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ayoungpretender
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Let's face it, you can't realistically expect a stellar hotel room for under $100/night anywhere. The Hillside Inn may look a little rough around the edges, but if you're traveling on a budget, it's a very decent place. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are cleaned every day (get past the outdated decor people, if you want luxury you're going to have to pay for it). The location of the Inn is ideal if you want quick access to the university and they provide parking. It's a no frills place but I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank studentraveller
Reviewed 13 October 2008

After having read several reviews of the Hillside Inn, I booked my reservation and hoped for the best! I arrived in the early evening on October 10th, and was greeted most graciously by Kevin, the night manager. After a delightful conversation, Kevin showed me to my room which, although dated and rather small, was very comfortable and spotless (and I am a clean freak!) The bathroom was tiny, but again spotless, and the water pressure was great in the shower.
I stayed for two nights. When I checked out, I asked the day manager if he had an eyeglass screwdriver, and he apologized that he didn't. As I was getting into my car, the manager ran out with a little screwdriver set he had found and asked if any of them would work for me. What a nice guy!
When leaving Ithaca after visiting my son at Cornell, I passed the Hillside Inn and Kevin was sitting outside on the steps. I thanked him for a delightful stay, and he waved and said, "See you next trip!" He certainly will!
I would stay at the Hillside again in a heartbeat. It was a very nice change from the cold, impersonal (albeit luxurious) hotels of corporate America!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo