“Comfortable Room, Convenient Location, Friendly Staff”
Review of Hillside Inn

Hillside Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Hillside Inn
Ranked #14 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Comfortable Room, Convenient Location, Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am a Cornell student who spent an entire semester at the Hillside Inn. Because of poor planning I was left without an apartment and went to the Hillside as a last resort since they rent rooms to students at a monthly rate. This "last resort" option was surprisingly an incredible experience and I can't press enough how great this hotel actually is. Garrett, Robert, Peter, and the rest of the staff exhibited some of the best customer service I have ever witnessed in my life - throughout the four month length of my stay. I also enjoyed the very convenient location since it was within 5 minutes walking distance of both Cornell and Collegetown. The room was very comfortable and more than exceeded my high standards for cleanliness and sanitation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Scarsdale, NY
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Whilst visiting Cornell there are three factors in selecting a hotel: location, price, and amenity; pick any two. Understand this, and there will be no surprises from the Hillside Inn. If you want location and amenity, you want the Statler, but it's very expensive. If you want amenity and low(er) price, pick your chain hotel on Route 13, or the Best Western. If you want great location at low cost, the Hillside Inn is the ticket, at the expense of amenity. To that end, everything I've seen in the other reviews here is probably true. My room was old, as in Leave It To Beaver old, with creaky floors, ancient plumbing with separate hot and cold sink spigots, threadbare coverings, and an off-odor reminiscent of dry dog food which probably emanated from the carpet. I saw no sign of continental, or even sub-continental breakfast, but I was out fairly early in the morning and did not look very hard. The hotel was, however, basically, grime-free in a "clean-by-student-standards" way. C'est la guerre, but personally, I won't be fighting this war again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank tenders
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I travel from NYC to Ithaca every week to teach at Cornell. So I have stayed at the Hillside Inn every Monday night for over 5 years. It is perfectly located to campus and I can walk to my class. It is a rustic place that looks as if it has been there forever. The cemetery right behind the Inn rivals any of Paris's picturesque settings of the same. My kids love to ride their bikes and run around there. The staff is super friendly and efficient. Peter, the manager is way over qualified and a terrific conversationalists. Rob, the handy man is always helpful and has given me a ride to the bus station numerous times when it was raining. The owner, Jim, is always around, filling the candy bowl or checking the coffee. The fastest wireless internet service too. My wife and kids love it too and by now, its our second house, having headed there for long weekends even when my class is out of session. It's an old, warm, family run operation so if you want new and shiny, go to the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: back rooms have nice views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank tradcross
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great location: close to Cornell University and lots of restaurants nearby; short drive to a couple of state park such as Robert Treman State park and Watkins Glen State park. The inn is well maintained and very clean. All in all - I would stay here again on our next return trip to Ithaca in the winter. The price was much more reasonable compared to other comparably rated hotels in the area!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RudySmith
Peter S, Front Office Manager at Hillside Inn, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
It's hard to respond to a review written a year after the visit. There have been hotel upgrades since, doubling Internet signal strength, re-carpeting the hotel, new bathrooms in several rooms. Other upgrades are upcoming. Should the positive reviews we get be called into question I recommend sending a message to those former guests, none of whom are in any way connected with us other than through the visit they made. Being an older building and family owned for 60 years, friendliness, convenience, affordable rates and especially this location on the edge of campus and staff attention to service are our pluses.
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I lived there for about a week last fall. The location is very good, just down the campus hill and within 10 min walk. But the place is not comfort to live, considering the old, smelly small rooms, the one and only shared bathrooms and toilet, absolutely absence of room service.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Posing D
Peter S, General Manager at Hillside Inn, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
The reviewer, who for some reason is sending a review a year later, stayed for one week in one of our single-occupancy student rooms, which do not have their own bathrooms but a shared bathroom in the hall, and are not hotel rooms per se, but are priced well under any hotel rates. These are all currently filled with satisfied renters, mostly Cornell students. 10 rooms.

We have 25 hotel rooms, with full room service, Wi Fi, A/C, cable TV, phone, private bath, continental breakfast. We also have long-term rates for these full hotel rooms with all services provided and have a number of guests staying -- scholars, graduate students, professors.

I am making this clear as the reviewer hasn't.
South Wales, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I decided to explore Ithaca, and we found this property on the edge of the Cornell University campus. It resembled a house which was transformed to an inn many years ago. The property itself was decent. However, it seemed to lack some attention to details. For example, when we pulled the comforter off the bed, we noticed the undersheets had several hairs. The carpet and bathroom could use a good cleaning as well. The price was a little steep, but it was half of what other properties were asking. In the end, it was just a place to sleep. We take our own pillows, sheets and blankets whenever possible when we travel, so we were prepared for this encounter. If they would just invest some time and effort to give it a nice cleaning, it would be a great property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Manager at Hillside Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Certainly there's no excuse for less than a complete cleaning despite very busy weekends. We have instituted a new policy to deal with such overloads so that a total room service cleaning can be maintained.

We are also undergoing an upgrade with new baths and the entire hotel getting re-carpeted. Internet coverage is also being expanded to ensure blazing speed in all rooms (it's now good, but on peak periods we want it faster).
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Due to our honeymoon , we entered Ithaca & noticed this small inn on our way to eat at Tavern Bunffi @ the Statler Hotel owned by Cornell University. They too suggested to us to use the hillside inn which as his name suggests: it's on the hill side. The room was nicely organized, well kept. We asked for another blanket for shawering & got 3 instead. The personal touch at the reception is highly recommended. Peter was most welcoming & informative

• Stayed September 2013