“A Very Nice B&B with Wonderful Hosts!”
Review of City Lights Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
City Lights Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed two nights recently at this lovely B&B with a nice setting on the Western ridge overlooking Ithaca, NY (but only minutes from downtown). Our suite was lovely, not overly furnished as some B&B accommodations tend to be, with everything in tip-top condition, including a much-firmer-than-average bed -- a very desirable feature in our case. The best part, though, was our two hosts, brothers Aaron and Collin, who were completely personable and gracious and who went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and enjoyable. Among other things, they helped with directions to local attractions in which we were interested, and served us two positively lovely breakfasts, made-to-order and taking into account that my wife and I are vegans. If we ever get back to Ithaca, we know where we'll be staying!

Sophie and Bill

Room Tip: We stayed in the '2 West Suite'. It was lovely!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SophieandBill
There are newer reviews for City Lights Inn

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here while watching sports car racing in Watkins Glen. It's only 35 minutes from WG on one of the nicest driver's road I've driven on (sports car owners take note!). It's also only minutes away from Ithaca. It really is the country, as I was serenaded at night and woke to the song of Robins, Song Sparrows, Cardinals, and Mocking Birds. Granny's room upstairs is very cosy, with a private bath, and an AC in the window keeps the temperature reasonable. The hosts are very sympathetic (often not the case at B&Bs, I've found).

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Lots of folks use "cozy" to describe places, and it certainly applies to this B&B. The interconnected rooms have been updated recently, and each area has a separate outside entrance and bath. Aaron and his brother are young and enthusiastic owners, and they went out of their way to see that our stay was great. This is a great location for those on bike trips, as it's on the hill above Ithaca where the local bus can take you into and out of town without having to ride the monster hills that surround the city center.

Room Tip: configuration lends itself to multiple family use
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dennis M
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at City Lights Inn while we were in Ithaca for a family wedding. It turned out to be just right. The location on a hillside just outside of town provided a great view of Ithaca with the peace of a country setting. These guys are doing things right. Improvements have made the rooms quite comfortable but they have retained period lamps, tables and touches that maintain some of the stories that this property holds. Like the milk bottles from the former dairy farm used at breakfast. And they know how to cook a good breakfast to get the day started well. Plus, being natives, they are very familiar with anything and everything you might want to visit and can tell you how to get there. They had good maps and brochures from the area.
We would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Front room on the road side is spacious, private and comfortable with a little road noise. The studi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for a wedding and we loved it! Cozy place with great owners and an amazing view of Ithaca. The owners worked very hard to make sure that we were comfortable and were flexible with our group. If you find yourself in Ithaca, NY definitely look this place up, Aaron and Collin will make sure your trip is a memorable one!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

You feel like you are miles away from the city with a beautiful view yet you can be downtown in less than five minutes. The two brothers were really great and the breakfast each morning was worth getting up for, and I like to sleep. We especially liked the history behind the property and the owners' plans for the future. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My son and I booked two rooms at the Inn this past week to house hunt for next year while he will be attending law school in Ithaca. Although the website did state that breakfast was served only on weekends, I was a bit taken aback to arrive to a farmhouse being completely remodeled. One of the two owner brothers did call me while i was in NYC to ask what time I would be arriving as they had a commitment that evening so when I arrived, no one was there and I went into the main house (ie marked office) to try and locate my room (ie my son was out looking at properties and we did not meet up until later that evening). The kitchen was pretty disorderly and the little bit of the house I saw was in complete disarray. When I phoned my son he explained to my relief that our rooms were located in the carriage house and I had an adjoining room to his, separated by a shared kitchen. This cottage had been renovated and the bathroom was quite nice with new, modern fixtures and nice fluffy towels! Also, it appeared to have been recently painted a bright orange red color with contrasting large, gray slate tiles in the shower. The bedroom had a pretty comfy bed (nothing super upscale but comfy enough) with newer bed linens. The carpet was a bit worn (or at least it seemed to me--it was of the indoor-outdoor variety) and seemed a bit damp but a heater was going in the room so the temperature was quite warm. The room had a variety of area-related brochures on the wine country, the Finger Lakes, etc, but as we were there to locate a house or condo for next year's living in Ithaca, we did not take advantage of the sights those brochures mentioned. FYI, the owners did leave coffee and cream for us which was appreciated. All in all, my impression is that for those looking for a true bed and breakfast Inn experience, with a cosy living room, reading room, dining room, etc. they should look elsewhere for now-- for those interested in a cottage only as a comfy and well priced option in the Ithaca area, I recommend with the caveats mentioned here. I will definitely check them out again when I visit next year to see how the remodeling project turns out. And,although the owner was very kind to call about my arrival time, I never actually met he or his brother during our several day visit. Will be very interested to see how this Inn stacks up once the work is completed!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CityLightsInn, Owner at City Lights Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write such an honest and detailed review. It will certainly help us for the future. We are in the process of doing cosmetic renovations to certain areas of the house. We apologize you saw the results of this in our kitchen. At the time, it was acting as a holding area for many of the discarded items. The kitchen is usually locked during the week as we only serve breakfast on the weekends. As we do with all our guests, we did call to verify your safe travel and and get an ETA. Although we did have a commitment that evening, our B&B is the first priority. We offered to be there when you arrived. My offer was declined because you were arriving with your son and had a room adjacent to his. Our commitment to coach the JV lacrosse team in town is a great way to give back to the community. During the week we are often away from the B&B so we can earn supplemental income during the off-season. We were hoping to meet you at check-out and were surprised to see you just left. Hopefully next year we can meet in person. We bought a very neglected piece of property and are trying our very best to make it as hospitable as possible. All our rooms have private entrances and they are more secluded than a typical B&B. If you are looking for a common living room or reading room we cannot provide that. We do provide clean, cozy rooms that are affordable and relaxing.